Ecotec?

Since the Eco has been out for a while now ( Saturns, Cavaliers)...I was curious-do you feel it is a good engine ? (overall)

I would have to say yes, at least for me.

NO issues at all with mine, though it only has 35k on it now...

Guy I work with has 120k on his 03 Cavalier w/ the eco. No issues at all-still runs well-burns a tiny bit of oil. Not bad for a beat on car.

Neighbor is a sales rep. Has almost 90k on his Cobalt. Speedo just stopped working, but his engine is holding up well too...

So far so good... :thumbsup:

Can't say. I have a friend who has a Cavalier but I don't know if it has an Ecotec in it. If it is an Ecotec then it's noisy, raspy, and unrefined, but reasonably powerful for a 4-banger. I'll give Toyota a nod though, the 1.6 is a much better sounding/more refined engine overall (but that damn exhaust manifold...*shakes fist*)

While a nice engine GM needs to offer a smaller less powerful/more fuel efficient version in the states, like they do in Europe. Maybe then the GM bashers will find a new complaint about the Delta cars besides they get poor gas mileage (which they do) for the class.

While a nice engine GM needs to offer a smaller less powerful/more fuel efficient version in the states, like they do in Europe. Maybe then the GM bashers will find a new complaint about the Delta cars besides they get poor gas mileage (which they do) for the class.

Refinement (noise/vibration) is midpack. Fuel economy is below average. You will be lucky to average 26~27MPG in a cobalt, a Civic genuinely pulls 32~33 in real world combined cycle driving. All in all the Ecotec is not embarrassing but it is nothing to be proud of either.

The ONLY exception is the 2.0 liter LNF which is very interesting although still a little behind the curve in terms of noise/vibrations. I belief that GM needs to stop the bean counting and put direct injection, dual VVT and the lanchester balancers on every ecotec. The 1.8 in the upcoming Astra can use DI and Dual VVT for instance.

From my experience (and I switch cars a lot), the Malibu 2.2 gets better gas mileage than the Cobalt. I beat on both cars, so my fuel mileage experience would not be typical. I suspect it may have to do with the gearing or programming. Sort of like the old 3.4 in the Alero (awful mileage, but a blast to drive) and last generation Impala (great mileage, no barn burner in acceleration.)

Our rep at GM said that the 2.2 family has had the best launch with the fewest problems of any engine GM has launched. Keep in mind, you can beef up the ecotec to over 400 hp with stock parts and NOT have to change the crankcase or block, mind. Tough engine. I think you will see many of them hit 250k miles no problems.

The noise issue is subjective. GM has gone to great lengths to make the Cobalt quiet - tons of padding (remember the "beauty cover" debate a few weeks ago?) and "quiet steel" on the fire wall, etc. Push a Corolla hard and you'll see what I mean.

Refinement (noise/vibration) is midpack. Fuel economy is below average. You will be lucky to average 26~27MPG in a cobalt, a Civic genuinely pulls 32~33 in real world combined cycle driving. All in all the Ecotec is not embarrassing but it is nothing to be proud of either.

The ONLY exception is the 2.0 liter LNF which is very interesting although still a little behind the curve in terms of noise/vibrations. I belief that GM needs to stop the bean counting and put direct injection, dual VVT and the lanchester balancers on every ecotec. The 1.8 in the upcoming Astra can use DI and Dual VVT for instance.

Mine has a bit of noise, but it's kinda hard to judge noise in a Cavalier. :rolleyes:

My brother has a base 06 Cobalt, and he averaged about 30 city and 32 highway (sometimes higher). Most of the people I know who drive Balt's are usually around this range. They don't get Civic milage, but they don't seem to be too far behind either.

As far as the 1.8, VVT maybe, but I'm not sure on the DI...

Can't say. I have a friend who has a Cavalier but I don't know if it has an Ecotec in it. If it is an Ecotec then it's noisy, raspy, and unrefined, but reasonably powerful for a 4-banger. I'll give Toyota a nod though, the 1.6 is a much better sounding/more refined engine overall (but that damn exhaust manifold...*shakes fist*)

What year?

03-05 Had Ecos....

IF it has a goofy front end with a grille, then it is an 03+...

I had the 2.2l in my '04 Malibu. Had almost 60k on it before the car was totaled. I've got the 2.4l in my '06 G6 - and almost 50k on that car. Here's my observations:

1) The engine (or engine as it's applied) doesn't feel all that refined. The exhaust note sounds coarse. As for vibrations, I'd say it's only average--it doesn't "wow" you, and it doesn't make you sat "wtf?!" either. It does rev eagerly. You can tell when the 2.4l switches profiles at around 3000rpm. The whole feel of the engine is different after that point.

2) I never did get a chance to take my 2.2l out and set the cruise at 55mph to get a pure highway gas-mileage estimate. In 85/15 mix of freeway/city (with 40-50% of those highway miles in stop&go rush hour traffic), I was able to get 36mpg repeatedly. I was very pleased with the gas mileage. The key was to keep the speed around 60mph, and a gradual, steady throttle when accelerating. If you didn't do that, the car would drop into the 31-32mpg range for me. The 2.2l didn't feel altogether powerful, but it was adequate as a daily driver/people-mover. The 2.4l is much more fun to drive. In the same mix of driving, I get only 30-31mpg in the G6 -- a decided step down in gas mileage. If I'm more agressive in the throttle, the 2.4l gets me 28-29mpg.

365,000 mileson an Ecotec

This posters previous two ecotechs went 250,000 miles. One was totaled, the other was sold to his mother!

Regarding gas mileage, many Saturn owners report looong break in periods before fuel mileage increases. Eventually it is quite good.

Cool!

Yeah, I noticed the milage got better as the miles rolled on....

Is it the last iteration after the final refresh? If it isn't, it's probably the LN2 2200 truck engine. I hated that thing...