An e-mail I just received from a Japanese Friend

"A Modern Parable

A Japanese company (Toyota ) and an American company (General Motors decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India

Sadly, the End.

Sad, but oh so true! Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US, claiming they can't make money paying American wages. Toyota has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US

The last quarter's results:

Toyota makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses. Ford folks are still scratching their heads"

Yes, someone finally got it!

The "let's form a comittee and discuss/analyse matters endlessly" mentality is not a US-based-company issue. It's the same in my country: following a "worker's satisfaction survey", my company is forming 8 taskforces to deal with issues such as "procedures", "leadership style", and other related bull$h!. What they seem to forget is that in day-to-day dealings with people, both internally and externally, the mentality temains the same: bull$h! your way through it and avoid all responsibility, especially if you can blame it on non-senior team members. I think that, sadly, this kind of lack of accountability and responsibility is becomeing prevalent in Western societies in general, while Asians are becoming much more focused.

I have said it time and time again...there are usually no toolboxes at a meeting, so there is no way that talking about it is going to fix it.

Americans used to roll up thier sleeves and get something done...now it is talked about enlessly.

The latest thing that pissed me off has been the Lambda launch...beautiful trucks, but it took so long to get them tested and out of commitee that they were late to thier own party! I remember seeing the Enclave at NAIAS and SEEING and HEARING the engineers from Japan scrutinizing the design and going over the truck with a fine toothed comb. Mazda and Hyundai BOTH beat GM to market with the Answer to the Enclave by 6 months! They stole design cues directly off of the trucks in my opinion and beat GM to the market with the trucks. Are they as well executed as GM's - time will tell. Either way, they fired the first shots.

Hell, I won't be surprised to see a Toyota Challengier/or Cuda-er Supreme or a Mazda Camareo on the street way before I see the GM and Chrysler versions we saw at the shows 2 years ago!

"A Modern Parable

A Japanese company (Toyota ) and an American company (General Motors decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India

Sadly, the End.

Sad, but oh so true! Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US, claiming they can't make money paying American wages. Toyota has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US

The last quarter's results:

Toyota makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses. Ford folks are still scratching their heads"

I am not impressed!

Here is one for you!

The Atomic Bomb!

Engineered and built in America, tested in Japan!

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Ah, but as usual with revisionist history, you have not copied the entire parable, only the Japanese translation of it:

MITI was formed by the Japanese to ensure that no other car manufacturers in the WORLD can EVER compete with the Japanese car companies on their own turf. Thus, they had the breathing space and government support to best decide how to assault the North American market, and it only took them 30 years to figure it out (1950-1980)

(Interesting side bar to this parable, boys and girls, is that Toyota and Honda do not enjoy anywhere near the market share that they do here anywhere else in the world; similarly, note that Japan is the only country in the world where domestic auto sales are, like 90% home grown :scratchchin: )

Ford's factories are 100 years old and unionised. We can debate to death (and we have, for you newbies) whether unions are passe or not, but Detroit has to deal with them, Japan Inc. does not. The Japanese get to cherry pick the best regions of our countries, get the biggest kickbacks from local government, then look like heroes while they open their shiny, new plants and save our country. Shrewdly, they pick areas where people are glad to have ANY job, let alone a permanent, full time one, and then treat them just well enough to keep them out of the clutches of the UAW.

And why is Japan Inc. doing all this? Because they almost got their asses kicked in the early '80s when Detroit was able to muster up enough support due to the imports everywhere. So, to get around the Auto Pact, they have opened just enough factories here to muddy the waters so that even supposedly well informed people can debate to death whether an Accord made in Ohio is more "American" than an Impala built in Oshawa.

I can't comment on the corporate structure of General Motors, or any others, but I do know that Japan Inc. has the huge advantage of being able to build a ground up organization, new and fresh, with all of the latest ideas, while enjoying a completely protected market at home, artificially lowered currency AND free medical for their employees over there - while GM and Ford have had to evolve from an existing foundation.

Parables are cute, but like most parables, entirely too simplistic. Great entertainment for 5 year olds, don't you think?

More recently:

The Japanese team builds a new canoe plant in Kentucky and decide to change their status to an American team. The real American team has gotten their act together, and though they aren't practiced, they now have 8 rowers rowing in the same direction and one person steering. After years of losses, they can only afford to use the old equipment but with some updates to try and be competitive.

The Japanese team, with their new, costly, high tech canoe and paddles take off in the lead. One quarter of the way into the race, the Japanese team's paddles start snapping. Their team captain denies the snapping, at first ignoring the complains of the rowers, then suddenly and silently replaces all the paddles on the on the canoe. Meanwhile the actual American team, with their older and cheaper but proven and reliable oars, has caught up to the Japanese.

With their new paddles, the Japanese team takes off again racing towards the finish line when suddenly their canoe springs a leak and river sludge starts seeping up into their canoe. This slows the team down greatly, but again the team captain denies the problem. Then, looking at his 79 cent timex watch, the Japanese captain notices the Americans consistently and steadily gaining again. The captain quickly patches the leak and bails out the canoe.

By this point the Americans have completely caught up to the Japanese. Both teams cross the finish line so close as to require a photo finish. In the end, the Japanese team won but only by a hair.

From the stands the sports reporters print a glorious victory for the Japanese and the crushing defeat of the Americans. In their articles they cite the wonders of Japanese advanced technology* and lambaste the Americans for using outdated equipment. No mention is made in the articles about the paddle snapping or river sludging incidents.

Japanese canoe sales soar.

American canoes end up at Willy's Ride a Rapid canoe rental shop.

*Not counting 79 cent timex.

Ah, but as usual with revisionist history, you have not copied the entire parable, only the Japanese translation of it:

MITI was formed by the Japanese to ensure that no other car manufacturers in the WORLD can EVER compete with the Japanese car companies on their own turf. Thus, they had the breathing space and government support to best decide how to assault the North American market, and it only took them 30 years to figure it out (1950-1980)

(Interesting side bar to this parable, boys and girls, is that Toyota and Honda do not enjoy anywhere near the market share that they do here anywhere else in the world; similarly, note that Japan is the only country in the world where domestic auto sales are, like 90% home grown :scratchchin: )

Ford's factories are 100 years old and unionized. We can debate to death (and we have, for you newbies) whether unions are passe or not, but Detroit has to deal with them, Japan Inc. does not. The Japanese get to cherry pick the best regions of our countries, get the biggest kickbacks from local government, then look like heroes while they open their shiny, new plants and save our country. Shrewdly, they pick areas where people are glad to have ANY job, let alone a permanent, full time one, and then treat them just well enough to keep them out of the clutches of the UAW.

And why is Japan Inc. doing all this? Because they almost got their asses kicked in the early '80s when Detroit was able to muster up enough support due to the imports everywhere. So, to get around the Auto Pact, they have opened just enough factories here to muddy the waters so that even supposedly well informed people can debate to death whether an Accord made in Ohio is more "American" than an Impala built in Oshawa.

I can't comment on the corporate structure of General Motors, or any others, but I do know that Japan Inc. has the huge advantage of being able to build a ground up organization, new and fresh, with all of the latest ideas, while enjoying a completely protected market at home, artificially lowered currency AND free medical for their employees over there - while GM and Ford have had to evolve from an existing foundation.

Parables are cute, but like most parables, entirely too simplistic. Great entertainment for 5 year olds, don't you think?

WELL SAID CARBIZ. I agree 100%

and Oldsmoboi you made a perfect parody of American vs japans car industry.

Edited by eldiablobanshee

I am not impressed!

Here is one for you!

The Atomic Bomb!

Now there's a mature comment.

Ford's factories are 100 years old and unionised. We can debate to death (and we have, for you newbies) whether unions are passe or not, but Detroit has to deal with them, Japan Inc. does not. The Japanese get to cherry pick the best regions of our countries, get the biggest kickbacks from local government, then look like heroes while they open their shiny, new plants and save our country. Shrewdly, they pick areas where people are glad to have ANY job, let alone a permanent, full time one, and then treat them just well enough to keep them out of the clutches of the UAW.

Always a one sided argument, but as you mentioned, there are two sides to every story. As usual you've left out anything that involves the US makers being at fault. "Oh poor us! Japan has so many advantages over us and we can't compete!" Their government protects and helps them because their government actually gives a $h! about them. It's not their fault the US government would rather just let the domestics die.

And of course we can't forget the utter crap that Detroit spewed out for quite some time. Once more, this all has been debated to death, and once more, there neither Japan Inc. nor the Big 3 can take the full blame for what has happened. It's shared.

I am not impressed!

Here is one for you!

The Atomic Bomb!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...had to stop laughing long enough to go pee!

I am no fan of anything Japanese. I am 35 and I 'remember' Pearl Harbor.

More recently:

The Japanese team builds a new canoe plant in Kentucky and decide to change their status to an American team. The real American team has gotten their act together, and though they aren't practiced, they now have 8 rowers rowing in the same direction and one person steering. After years of losses, they can only afford to use the old equipment but with some updates to try and be competitive.

The Japanese team, with their new, costly, high tech canoe and paddles take off in the lead. One quarter of the way into the race, the Japanese team's paddles start snapping. Their team captain denies the snapping, at first ignoring the complains of the rowers, then suddenly and silently replaces all the paddles on the on the canoe. Meanwhile the actual American team, with their older and cheaper but proven and reliable oars, has caught up to the Japanese.

With their new paddles, the Japanese team takes off again racing towards the finish line when suddenly their canoe springs a leak and river sludge starts seeping up into their canoe. This slows the team down greatly, but again the team captain denies the problem. Then, looking at his 79 cent timex watch, the Japanese captain notices the Americans consistently and steadily gaining again. The captain quickly patches the leak and bails out the canoe.

By this point the Americans have completely caught up to the Japanese. Both teams cross the finish line so close as to require a photo finish. In the end, the Japanese team won but only by a hair.

From the stands the sports reporters print a glorious victory for the Japanese and the crushing defeat of the Americans. In their articles they cite the wonders of Japanese advanced technology* and lambaste the Americans for using outdated equipment. No mention is made in the articles about the paddle snapping or river sludging incidents.

Japanese canoe sales soar.

American canoes end up at Willy's Ride a Rapid canoe rental shop.

*Not counting 79 cent timex.

Wow...your's was much better than the one I was e-mailed...so I copied it and sent it to the Japanese guy who sent me the original one. :pokeowned::P

Now there's a mature comment.

Always a one sided argument, but as you mentioned, there are two sides to every story. As usual you've left out anything that involves the US makers being at fault. "Oh poor us! Japan has so many advantages over us and we can't compete!" Their government protects and helps them because their government actually gives a $h! about them. It's not their fault the US government would rather just let the domestics die.

And of course we can't forget the utter crap that Detroit spewed out for quite some time. Once more, this all has been debated to death, and once more, there neither Japan Inc. nor the Big 3 can take the full blame for what has happened. It's shared.

:blink: Okay, never said anything different. The parable was all one sided, and all I was doing was rebutting it. On the $h! front, Japan Inc and Detroit both built $h! in the '80s, its's just that there was a lot less Japanese $h! on the road; therefore, fewer disgruntled customers to remember that $h!. Plus, the Japanese $h! had fewer kernels and was easier to pinch out so there was less cause for constipation or other maladies. For every Tercel stinking up the highways 25 years ago, there was 5 Chevettes or 2 Omnis. I remember them all and remember them well.

There is lots of blame to be shared - again, nobody said differently, but to ignore fact that Detroit is in the fight of its life with one arm tied behind its back is naive at best.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...had to stop laughing long enough to go pee!

I am no fan of anything Japanese. I am 35 and I 'remember' Pearl Harbor.

Börger doing the math, 2007-35=1972, 2007-1941(carry the 1)=66. Sir you could not possibly remember Pearl harbor! It wasn't discovered by Columbus yet? Muhahahahahaha! :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S