I can't stop thinking about....

the new Dodge Challenger and how bad I want one....I haven't felt this way about a car in a long time....except for maybe when the Chrysler 300C came out...I love GM, but Chrysler has been releasing the type of cars I love...whether their execution is great or not is up for debate....but large RWD is my passion and GM sort of lacks that at least in a package I find appealing. I almost feel like I'm cheating on GM if I buy a Challenger, but I've been outside GM before, so I guess it wouldn't be the first time. But yet I wish it was a 2009 Oldsmobile 442 coming out.

So am I nuts, or is it lust, or true love that I'm having for this Challenger? :P

the new Dodge Challenger and how bad I want one....I haven't felt this way about a car in a long time....except for maybe when the Chrysler 300C came out...I love GM, but Chrysler has been releasing the type of cars I love...whether their execution is great or not is up for debate....but large RWD is my passion and GM sort of lacks that at least in a package I find appealing. I almost feel like I'm cheating on GM if I buy a Challenger, but I've been outside GM before, so I guess it wouldn't be the first time. But yet I wish it was a 2009 Oldsmobile 442 coming out.

So am I nuts, or is it lust, or true love that I'm having for this Challenger? :P

I feel you on that. I wish there was a whole new line of 2009 Oldsmobiles myself. There is not a car that strikes my passion right now other than the ones I own and drive.

There is not a car that strikes my passion right now other than the ones I own and drive.

Agreed. That's why I keep moving backwards in years when choosing my "new" cars. That's also why I'm taking as long as it takes to restore my '67 Eldorado back to as perfect as possible, because I want to drive that car as much as possible as new cars no longer excite me. The last "new" car that I had any sort of affinity towards would be the last generation Buick Riviera. I owned one for two and a half years, put way too much money into it, and needless to say, the magic is now gone. I still love 'em, but will think twice about ownership of any modern computer-controlled front wheel drive vehicle. A nice example of the last of the B-bodies is about as new as I'd like to go as it stands right now.

Agreed. That's why I keep moving backwards in years when choosing my "new" cars. That's also why I'm taking as long as it takes to restore my '67 Eldorado back to as perfect as possible, because I want to drive that car as much as possible as new cars no longer excite me. The last "new" car that I had any sort of affinity towards would be the last generation Buick Riviera. I owned one for two and a half years, put way too much money into it, and needless to say, the magic is now gone. I still love 'em, but will think twice about ownership of any modern computer-controlled front wheel drive vehicle. A nice example of the last of the B-bodies is about as new as I'd like to go as it stands right now.

You hit that one right on the head. Cars are costing as much as houses now, and that is a serious investment to buy a car and make the payments. The only drawback I have seen to owning older cars is finding parts sometimes. Other than that, it has been a good experience. Some cars had some good years in terms of quality and features and money. You can also modify the older cars too.

I admit I am enjoying getting the Toronado back in working order, but the only thing is either finding parts or getting things exactly back to factory. You learn a lot when these cars are taken part and put back together. Financial analysts even say do not buy new because of the investment and depreciation. I do not think I would have the extra money if I was making payments. You can use the extra for buying a house or do things you would like. The only catch is you pretty much have to pay for the car up front as opposed to financing it.

I would buy another Ninety Eight or an Eighty Eight or LSS. I would buy another Toronado hard as they are to come by. The 1989-1993 Riviera is a good one too. The B- Bodies and the Cadillacs before the Northstar V8 are great ones too. The W Bodies are good ones especially the 1990's with the 3800 V6.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I would say all three....I too love the Challenger. I'm also in the same boat you're in. As a Mopar fan, I'd feel like I was "cheating" if I went to buy a new Camaro...but I'd still get one if I could afford one...I love it. What separates the 2 for me is that The Challenger is like owning a classic car that's been brought back for the modern era. So you can have a car that looks similar to the old one, yet you don't have to invest in restoring it, you get modern features, and modern performance. It's looks are killer, and so should the performance.

The other determining factor is that as far as I know, the Challenger debuts sooner than the Camaro...In addition, we've seen spy photos of the real Challenger to get excited about, as far as I know we haven't seen any of the Camaro.

Edited by Dodgefan

Amazing how a glued in rear window & super thick B-pillar

*&$@s up those classic lines & dilutes the concept for me!

Well XP I'm finding that 95 Buick Riviera's a prone to problems at I too am starting to loose my love for the car....or at least my love of owning one. EVer since that Riviera came out I've always wanted one, now I own one and it's not all it's crcked up to be. I've owned two Oldsmobile's 1978 and 1979 and while I know where you're coming from with the older cars ( and I plan on restoring my Delta 88) I have always wanted a muscle car and the Challenger is a perfect blend of old and new for me, so I'm kind of hooked now. The last gen B-Bodies are great, and an Impala SS of 1996 vintage would suit me just fine, if it weren't for the dull ugly dashboard.

Man this is tough, I want a Challenger so bad, but I know it's not going to be cheap, and in order for me to get one I'd have to pull the money together from my assets....which in turn would mean losing those assets. It's a hard decision to make.

Well XP I'm finding that 95 Buick Riviera's a prone to problems at I too am starting to loose my love for the car....or at least my love of owning one. EVer since that Riviera came out I've always wanted one, now I own one and it's not all it's crcked up to be. I've owned two Oldsmobile's 1978 and 1979 and while I know where you're coming from with the older cars ( and I plan on restoring my Delta 88) I have always wanted a muscle car and the Challenger is a perfect blend of old and new for me, so I'm kind of hooked now. The last gen B-Bodies are great, and an Impala SS of 1996 vintage would suit me just fine, if it weren't for the dull ugly dashboard.

Man this is tough, I want a Challenger so bad, but I know it's not going to be cheap, and in order for me to get one I'd have to pull the money together from my assets....which in turn would mean losing those assets. It's a hard decision to make.

Just think of it though...owning a new Challenger. :AH-HA_wink: The base model will probably be reasonably priced...my real question is will it get a manual.

Edited by Dodgefan

Given the choice of having to work O.T., eat Mac&Cheese & SELL my classic or just

keep my classic, avoid payments & have a neat daily driver for a second car while

avoiding financial distress I think you know which one I would pick.

I've formulated a plan for the next few months and it includes getting a cheap daily

driver, like $700 - $1500 cheap. These are the three top picks right now:

1. Diesel Mercedes from the early 1980s, preferably a 5-speed

2. RWD Cadillac. Preferably a hardtop with a 500 & white interior. :wub:

3. Diesel pickup, with a stick

P.S. almost forgot to mention that if at all possible NONE of the above, but I will

order a Duramax Diesel powered rollback truck and quit the car business to persue

my dream of owning my own Classic Car shipping company. Seriously.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Thats the problem...I don't want a base model :P

If I buy this, I want it have a Hemi and leather and pretty much the whole 9....does the Hemi run on regular or does it need 93?

Thats the problem...I don't want a base model :P

If I buy this, I want it have a Hemi and leather and pretty much the whole 9....does the Hemi run on regular or does it need 93?

I know what you mean, I wouldn't want a base model anything :P

Unleaded mid-grade, 89 octane is recommended, but Unleaded regular, 87 octane is acceptable

I would ALWAYS run the recomended fuel. The diff is pennies a day.

Let's assume 89 costs $3.09 & Regular costs $2.99 (realistic here)

so for every gallon you burn off you're spending an extra $0.10,

which means if you drive 15,000 miles a year and get 15mpg then

you will spend an extra $100 a year.

Is that not well worth it to NOT fu*& up your motor...? :blink:

Running a lower octane in a modern car will never f@#k up your engine, but as someone on the Aurora Forums said in response to a thread discussing 87 vs. 93, "If you're worried about the price of 93 octane gas, you probably shouldn't have bought a car that requires 93 octane."

There is NO way that no harm results from a motor that knocks.

Today's motors have tight specs. & tolerances, the bearings,

valve-trains, cams etc. do not appreciate a motor that knocks,

if you constantly fill up with regular you can bet your apples

that you will get inferior, cheap, watered down fuel from time to

time and your motor will get dirty & knock. That's my theory.

Didn't I see a thread were someone said the the new Challenger would be available in V8 trim only and that dodge was only making it a niche vehicle????

A couple articles I've seen in magazines indicate it would be a low volume model and V8 only...who knows, maybe they will build a V6 version..

I can't blame you one bit...

Honestly, GM still doesn't have any really attractive sedans or mid-market cars (Imagine how their sales would be if they did)

I bleed GM blue, but if I were in the market for a new sedan there would be a black Charger SRT-8 sitting in my driveway and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Hopefully, with the revival at full tilt (Unless this month killed it) GM will have some nice non-luxury CARS coming out soon for the first time in 10 years. The new Malibu, CTS and G8 look nice but they're still not braison enough for my tastes (I'm talking Trans AM WS6, Camaro SS, Z06, in your face designs)

I think that's where the Charger and Challenger excel, except they're not tacky at the same time like some would say the afore mentioned cars were.

I want a beater to save the wear and tear on my Millenia.

That's the problem. You've already got the beater, now you need the nice car. :P

:pokeowned: But there is some truth...get the car you have fixed up first...rust and all. Then it'll be a nice car and then you can go buy a lovely Cavalier...or better yet, buy the $h!fire off your parents :P

I couldn't fault anyone for buying a Challenger, though I prefer the Camaro.

I'm just so happy that the choice exists.

:thumbsup:

I bleed GM blue, but if I were in the market for a new sedan there would be a black Charger SRT-8 sitting in my driveway and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Agreed!!!

Posted Image

I would ALWAYS run the recomended fuel. The diff is pennies a day.

Let's assume 89 costs $3.09 & Regular costs $2.99 (realistic here)

so for every gallon you burn off you're spending an extra $0.10,

which means if you drive 15,000 miles a year and get 15mpg then

you will spend an extra $100 a year.

Is that not well worth it to NOT fu*& up your motor...? :blink:

Except 87 around here costs about 3.25, 3.30 a gallon and 89, and 93 are in the 3.50 range....so it adds up, and is more money towards the insurance on a beast like this. I'm not looking to take this thing to the track, I'm just looking for a big RWD coupe, with some balls and an attitude to go with it. My project car is my Delta 88, that's where I'll have my fun....I'm almost preparing to reverse their roles somewhat and make the grandpa mobile the beast and the beast....the cruiser.

Edited by Delta Force79

There is NO way that no harm results from a motor that knocks.

Today's motors have tight specs. & tolerances, the bearings,

valve-trains, cams etc. do not appreciate a motor that knocks,

if you constantly fill up with regular you can bet your apples

that you will get inferior, cheap, watered down fuel from time to

time and your motor will get dirty & knock. That's my theory.

Antiknock sensors take care of it.

Also, buying 93 doesn't guarantee you won't get tainted fuel. Ask Shell.

That's the problem. You've already got the beater, now you need the nice car.

Pfft. When it's the nicest car personally owned in our driveway, it's not a beater. :P

Then it'll be a nice car and then you can go buy a lovely Cavalier...or better yet, buy the $h!fire off your parents

Bitch please... The day I buy a J-body is the day I go off the deep end. :lol:

Pfft. When it's the nicest car personally owned in our driveway, it's not a beater. :P

Bitch please... The day I buy a J-body is the day I go off the deep end. :lol:

So why didn't you ever throw your parents a life line for buying that Sunfire? :P

So why didn't you ever throw your parents a life line for buying that Sunfire? :P

I tried. I wanted them to buy this really nice Alero we came across. But no... it had "too many" miles. They waited on it and it sold. The Sunfire had about 10k less. It seemed to be an alright car and didn't think it could ever be as bad as it turned out to be. I learned my lesson so from now on... No J-bodies... Ever. Same with Blazers. I'd commit suicide before I buy either. :D

My buddies 91 Jimmy was a good truck until he forgot to put oil in it( it burned oil) and going up a long steep grade on Rt 17, it threw a rod and blew a hole in the side of the block :P

Same here.

Except ... I'd even take an SE or SXT ... I don't really need/want the V8 ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We can take anything that comes our way" ... BJ Thomas ... 'As Long As We Got Each Other'

Same here.

Except ... I'd even take an SE or SXT ... I don't really need/want the V8 ;).

"We can take anything that comes our way" ... BJ Thomas ... 'As Long As We Got Each Other'

Nothing to be a shamed about owning a 250 hp 3.5L V6...I just hope they don't stick the 2.7L in there.

Hmm...isn't the 2.7 in the SE version? Or, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought that is what my rental SE for last October's road trip had....

"The more things change the more they stay the same" ... Kenny Chesney ... 'Summertime'