Never Released Concepts

I am wondering if anyone has any photos or even just information on what projects the Olds guys (and gals) were working on before the ax came down. I am sure things such as the Alero replacement (Aura), Intrigue and the Aurora replacement were well underway in terms of development. Just kinda wondering what we all missed out on because the General loves Saturn and Buick...

Remember, the announcement about Oldsmobile's end came in Novemeber/ December 2000. * The 2001 (2nd Gen) Aurora had just debuted months before the division's demise was announced. * The remodeled Bravada hadn't been released yet. * The Alero had just debuted as a 1999 replacement for the Achieva. * Intrigue went on sale for the 1998 model year. From what I know, there aren't any concepts for a 3rd gen Aurora. What I heard/read was that Oldsmobile petitioned GM to let them use Cadillac's SIGMA platform for the 3rd Generation Aurora and GM said no. No other platforms had been targeted before the announcement came. I doubt much progress was made for an Alero replacement on Epsilon. I never heard of a 2nd gen Intrigue in the works on the W-platform either. The 2000 Oldsmobile Profile concept and OSV performance division are probably the two biggest indicators of where Oldsmobile was heading if the division hadn't been closed.

That the OSV's were not produced was a huge disappointment. These cars got great press, and they looked good. They would have brought a lot of excitement to Oldsmobile showrooms. I can't help but think that maybe pressure from the other divisions prevented these from going to fruition?

The final Oldsmobile concept car was the O4 roadster, and it was on Opel mechanicals. Perhaps there was thought back then that Olds and Opel would go on a parallel track similar to where Saturn is going?

Posted Image

Remember, the announcement about Oldsmobile's end came in Novemeber/ December 2000.

* The 2001 (2nd Gen) Aurora had just debuted months before the division's demise was announced.

* The remodeled Bravada hadn't been released yet.

* The Alero had just debuted as a 1999 replacement for the Achieva. 

* Intrigue went on sale for the 1998 model year.

From what I know, there aren't any concepts for a 3rd gen Aurora. What I heard/read was that Oldsmobile petitioned GM to let them use Cadillac's SIGMA platform for the 3rd Generation Aurora and GM said no. No other platforms had been targeted before the announcement came.

I doubt much progress was made for an Alero replacement on Epsilon. I never heard of a 2nd gen Intrigue in the works on the W-platform either.

The 2000 Oldsmobile Profile concept and OSV performance division are probably the two biggest indicators of where Oldsmobile was heading if the division hadn't been closed.

[post="25009"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't forget the 1999 Recon' concept car, it was to be productionized and codenamed GMT317 I think and of course, cancelled.

I forgot about the Roadster bobo. That was probably a hint to the direction of the Alero replacement. I never liked the RECON. I could only hope that Oldsmobile would have come to their senses if they stayed around. I think the RECON was suppose to have been Theta based if/when produced... correct?

I could be wrong but I thought that I had heard that the Aura that Saturn will have soon was originally the Alero replacement and that they did very little other than to change the badges It tough to not ask what COULD have been: -Aurora powered Intrigue -Blown Alero w/5 sp (Which I would have purchased dammit! :) ) -Alero Convertible

I have a 02 Intrigue with the 3.5L V-6, I love to drive that car simply because of the amount of torque it has. I believe that the 3.5L is basically a NorthStar - 2 cylinders = Short * the only thing is that the trans. doesn't seem like the right choice for this engine. Edited by BIGPhil

There were two versions of the Intrigue OSV.  The first had a supercharged 3.5 liter Shortstar making 250 hp.  The second had a 315 hp 4.6 liter Northstar.

[post="26595"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Isn't there's one with the Aurora V8? I do remember seeing a photo. Edited by ToniCipriani

What I heard/read was that Oldsmobile petitioned GM to let them use Cadillac's SIGMA platform for the 3rd Generation Aurora and GM said no. No other platforms had been targeted before the announcement came.

[post="25009"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So Olds WAS thinking what the mass market wanted. Only GM (sadly) didn't see it.

Last I heard:

Aurora was petitioned for Sigma. Originally the 2nd gen Aurora was supposed to be a completely different car (Bigger and more 1st gen like than it actually was, maybe on H body instead of G body) The ACTUAL 2nd gen Aurora was supposed to be named Antares and be the replacement for the 88 & LSS NOT the 1st gen Aurora as it became.

Alero and Intrigue weren't even being thought about, except for the OSV versions.

The Profile was supposed to replace the Silhouette on Lambda

The Recon was coming out on Theta

The Bravada was to continue on GMT360

And the O4 "could have" been built on the Delta architecture.

All this 'what might have been' is making me bitter... Bitter at the imports and GM management.

You can go to www.gmphotostore.com and go to the concepts section where you'll find artist renderings of potential future Oldsmobiles. Each are labeled simply "GM drawing" or something like that.

The ACTUAL 2nd gen Aurora was supposed to be named Antares and be the replacement for the 88 & LSS NOT the 1st gen Aurora as it became.

This has been mentioned many times before... so much that I'd love to see the GM photography on what the real Aurora was to lool like. Anyone have that kind of access?

I forgot about the Roadster bobo. That was probably a hint to the direction of the Alero replacement.

I never liked the RECON. I could only hope that Oldsmobile would have come to their senses if they stayed around. I think the RECON was suppose to have been Theta based if/when produced... correct?

[post="25023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yup, you're right on that one-if it had moved past the clay modeling stage, I'm thinking, it would've been a 2002-03 model.

Sort of. It changed to Saturn Renaissance when Olds was dropped I believe.

[post="28628"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh...never heard that one...makes sense-thanks! I thought Renaissance was to be a regular 4-door notchback sedan and Transponder the 5-door hatchback sedan?

Last I heard:

Aurora was petitioned for Sigma. Originally the 2nd gen Aurora was supposed to be a completely different car (Bigger and more 1st gen like than it actually was, maybe on H body instead of G body) The ACTUAL 2nd gen Aurora was supposed to be named Antares and be the replacement for the 88 & LSS NOT the 1st gen Aurora as it became.

[post="26971"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, the real 2nd gen Aurora was suppose to have followed the 1995 formula and continue to be co-developed with the Buick Riviera. The 2nd generation Aurora was suppose to remain a V8 powered luxury sedan and move further upscale (and in price) to create room between the Intrigue & Aurora for the 88 replacement. When Buick dropped the development of the next gen Riviera, it left Oldsmobile without a program. Oldsmobile had to modify the 88 replacement (as FOG said, Antares) into an acceptable Aurora with little time to spare.

It helps to explain why the 95-99 Aurora was targeting the Lexus LS400 while the 2nd Gen Aurora arrived targeting the Lexus ES300. The 88 replacement was suppose to go against the ES300, while the co-developed Riviera/Aurora were suppose to target vehicles like the LS400.

Sigma does fit in somewhere on the story line. I thought it was on the 3rd generation Aurora that GM rejected Oldsmobile's request. It may have actually been the 2nd gen as FOG said, after the Riviera/Aurora program fell apart. Regardless, by that time GM was showing symptoms of doubt about further investment in Oldsmobile and started cutting development funds.