Spied: New Acura Sedan

matt41

SOURCE: World Car Fans:

TL or TSX?

We caught a new Acura sedan prototype night-testing in the California desert. The late-night testing was a pretty grueling affair for all involved, and the yawning test driver caught in our front-¾ shot seemed to agree.

Just which Acura model we’re dealing with here isn’t exactly clear. Our personal observations of this prototype were limited to spotting a pair of headlights through the camera’s viewfinder, tracking it and trying to maintain focus, then freezing the action with the flash. Since we can say that we never really “saw” this car with the naked eye, judging it’s size is more difficult than normal daylight situations. It looks like it’s quite big in the photos, perhaps even Acura RL, big. But industry sources like Automotive News post that the next RL isn’t due until 2010 or 2011, which may be a bit far out for a test such as this. Automotive News reports that both the TL and the TSX are due for redesigns in 2009, which seems more likely to yield finished confirmation prototypes testing out in public, albeit in the inky dark of the desert. With that in mind, the apparent size of this prototype would seem to suggest that this is the new TL.

Regardless of its designation, we can see that the Acura front-end styling cues pioneered on the TL and TSX will be continued, but to an even more dramatic degree. Acura’s pointed grille now plunges well down into the front bumper, and the slitty headlights follow a similar angle, looking quite sinister in their execution. The way the camouflage is piled-on above the Acura’s mesh grille, we wonder if this new sedan will get a variation of the “shield” found on the latest MDX and also on Acura’s wacky Advanced Sedan Concept. The prototype’s lower air-intakes resemble those on the TL, but once again they look a bit more aggressive.

Although the prototype was still thoroughly camouflaged, it appears that this new Acura sedan will get a more flowing greenhouse than any current Acura model. The roofline sweeps smoothly from the A-pillar, into a steeply raked C-pillar and backlight. The rear window disguise appears to overemphasize this effect, but the car’s silhouette certainly looks to be more fluid than any sedan in the current Acura lineup.

All-wheel-drive is expected to be offered on all Acuras, beginning in 2009, so this prototype is most likely an AWD model. A V8 option may also be in the cards. When questioned about Acura’s rumored move away from its current V6-only engine lineup, Hirohide Ikeno, president of Honda R&D Americas Inc. told Automotive News: “That is our direction...I’m pushing for it.”

Although you can barely see anything, I find what we can see decent. I love the new MDX, so this would be a sure beaut if inspired by the luxury crossover (and NOT based on the Acura Advanced Sedan concept.)

LINK WITH IMAGES: http://www.worldcarfans.com/6070730.002/ne...otype-spy-shots

They need it quick. Acuras don't age well. Their newly-released models are competitive, well-priced, well-equipped, and appealing on spec sheets and comparison tests, but after a few years, they're no longer flavors of the month and then tank.

They need it quick. Acuras don't age well. Their newly-released models are competitive, well-priced, well-equipped, and appealing on spec sheets and comparison tests, but after a few years, they're no longer flavors of the month and then tank.

I think you're confusing the entire Acura division with sales of the RL.

-------- 2003 --- 2004 --- 2005 --- 2006

TSX --- n/a ---- 30365 - 34856 - 38035

TL ----- n/a ---- 77895 - 78218 - 71348

RL ----- n/a ---- 8753 -- 17572 - 11501

MDX -- 57281 - 59505 - 57948 - 54121

I can see the TL sales sliding, but TSX sales have been increasing since intro. The MDX did drop slightly before the release of the new model. Other than the RL, none of the models "tanked".

It is the TL. No doubt about that. Remember the TSX is Euro Accord. Honda will not tinker with that formula.

TL is the one based on the "Larger" Accord platform, which is due for development (5 year cycle). As a matter of fact, it is kinda late compared to the last one, which started making rounds in early 2002.

It is the TL. No doubt about that. Remember the TSX is Euro Accord. Honda will not tinker with that formula.

TL is the one based on the "Larger" Accord platform, which is due for development (5 year cycle). As a matter of fact, it is kinda late compared to the last one, which started making rounds in early 2002.

Well, the TSX is due for a replacement before the TL. While they were both released as 2004 models, the TSX received its refresh in 2006 while the TL did in 2007. The TSX was also released earlier in the year than the new TL, although I don't have any concrete data on that. The TSX should receive its full model change before the TL. While the camoed prototype in the photo does look large, it also resembles the Sports4 concept considerably, which is supposed to be the next TSX. The TSX will undoubtedly grow a little in size too.

I don't think Honda will keep the Euro-Accord / TSX thing going forever, or really has to. It just happen to work out that way for this generation. It'll be interesting to see what they do, and if they keep a different Accord for the European market.

Acura needs a new sports coupe! REVIVE THE CL!! My dad drives an 01 Cl coupe, and it looks great, good condition, but the styling's old! Say Acura makes a new one, my dad would FINALLY get someting new! Besides, Acura is a nice brand, but needs some new models. They have the pontential at being great, just look at the new MDX!

I'm interested in seeing what Acura comes up with the for the new TL. The current TL is competitive. More dramatic styling would be a plus. Will Acura stick with FWD?

It's extremely likely that all of Acura will be AWD in the next couple years; the next TSX and TL will both likely have SH-AWD on their next model cycles. I just hope they use a better formula than they did with the RL. I think they learned their lesson though and the next TL should be a much better RL. Lighter weight, better gearing, better suspension (maybe active suspension like on the MDX), more power, and most important of all, a luxury image.

I bet it will look much uglier once the black duct tape & canvas camo come off! :P

all i see about these pictures is speculation if it's a tl or tsx. Can somebody tell me the difference? Is one smaller than the other?

TSX is smaller, along the lines of a Lexus IS or Audi A4.

TL is bigger, along the lines of Lexus ES/GS or Cadillac CTS, etc

However they both might grow for their next generation, so it's hard to say. If this spy pic is the TSX, it looks a bit larger than the current model.

Edited by siegen

TSX is smaller, along the lines of a Lexus IS or Audi A4.

TL is bigger, along the lines of Lexus ES/GS or Cadillac CTS, etc

However they both might grow for their next generation, so it's hard to say. If this spy pic is the TSX, it looks a bit larger than the current model.

Isn't the TL already one of the largest in it's class?