Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Toyota AE86?

Dragon

A trueno/ae86 actually showed up to a car meet I was at last night. No matter how much I dislike Toyota's, there are those select few models that I have to give some credit towards. The AE86 is one of them (kinda). If they could pull off a halfway decent looking, lightweight, cheap, rwd car, it would take off so fast your head would spin.

Interesting...the Trueno/AE86 was sold in the US in the early '80s as a Corolla, IIRC? I know there is a whole subculture of fandom around them, largely due to the Initial D anime.. (I saw the Initial D movie, fun flick).

the renderings suck, but a cheap 2+2 RWD car would be a good thing,

might get GM off their A$$

Toyota made numerous sporty cars in the mid-'80s, including the Supra, RWD Celica GT-S, RWD AE86 Corolla GT-S, and MR2. This was when the high-revving 16-valve four-cylinder engines were just taking off. The AE86 has a cult following, and I'd welcome its return.

I've always admired 1st gen. Supras & hardtop Celicas!

Interesting...the Trueno/AE86 was sold in the US in the early '80s as a Corolla, IIRC? I know there is a whole subculture of fandom around them, largely due to the Initial D anime.. (I saw the Initial D movie, fun flick).

AE86 is one specific engine-platform combination (A-block 6-engine, E8 model designation). There were actually 4 separate rwd E8 models, actually using the older E7 rwd platform with the new E8 styling theme (E8 4- an 5-doors had a new, larger fwd platform). The xE8x E was the Corolla Levin 2-door coupe and 3-door fastback, and the xE8x F was the Sprinter Trueno with the same body styles (from memory Corolla coupes had pop-up lights and Sprinters fixed lights). The Sprinter and Corolla were siblings sold in seperate dealer networks in Japan. Export models were often mixed and matched, more to even out projected sales of each variant than any other reason, and names were mixed up as well—the Sprinter Trueno fastback was exported to some markets as the Corolla Sprinter, or simply the Sprinter (as a result some people think the Sprinter was only the coupe variant of the Corolla, not a separate model lineup). The following E9 coupes switched to the fwd platform already used by the 4- and 5-door models, E10 and E11 to the next fwd platform. Later fwd models resembled the SC300/400 coupe, but the final E11 variants were rather dowdy, a result of a cost-cutting drive that would ultimately doom both the coupes and the entire Sprinter lineup. The last generation Corolla coupe (complete with smaller Corolla engine) was badged Celica (officially T- rather than E-body) in order to maximize profit margins, but judging from sales in many markets not many people bought the deception.

You mean the '78 A4 Celica XX, '81 A6 Celica Supra or '86 A7 Supra (made in both Japanese-specific small-car and export wide-body styles)?

I think he is refering to the MA46/7s. Its widely debated here as to which generation is the first of the Supras, but most agree the '78 model A series chassis powered by M series motor was the first. In Japan, the A70s are often claimed to be since the Supra name wasn't used on the MA6-s over there. Instead they were called Celica XX.

I too would love to have an MA46 and do a 2jzgte swap. 320 stock horses in a car that light would rock.

Like griffon said though, it wouldn't return as an AE86. That specific name goes to the e86 corollas powered by A series engines. In the case of the new one, it would be an NZE13- or something like that due to the NZ engine series and the fact that the corollas are now into 130s i believe. Anyway, I don't expect to see this PS'd Scion on the streets anytime soon.

Im an old school Toyota guy, Ill admit that on a GM board because I respect anything. New Toyotas just do nothing for me... That said, I own an '90 MA71 Supra and a 93 Geo prizm, which is essentially an AE101 Corolla.

Speaking of AE111s, they had a sweet little 4-banger. 20v vvti with ITBs. Its a shame it never made it over here.

Edited by fuel_sipping