If you wanted to get away, where would you go?

I don't mean vacation destinations here, I mean a place without neighbors you can see without driving. A place where property values aren't measured in dollars, and "society" is a distant rumor.

I think I want to spend a few years in a place like that.

Maybe even the rest of my life.

What place would you nominate?

Europe?

One place in Europe I fell in love with is Stresa, a small town on Lago Maggiore in Northern Italy, close to the Swiss border. Beautiful alpine scenery, the lake, islands..very relaxing. I'd love to spend 6 months there every year, and maybe the other 6 months in the heart of London, my favorite big city.

Food for thought:

My mother's cousin is a real estate agent in a more rural part of PA, and has a current listing which gives me pause.

* two houses

*5 outbuildings

* 70 Acres

$300,000

This reminds me of my family's place in Ohio...rural eastern Ohio, about a 2 hrs south of Cleveland, 1 1/2 hours west of Pittsburgh...nearest town is 250 people, 5 miles away. 150 heavily wooded acres, a 4500 sq ft house, 1500 sq ft guest house, 4 outbuildings (incl 2 2 car garages). Two ponds, one 6 acres, one 10 acres. My folks have owned it almost 40 years.I spent a fair portion of my childhood there.

Today, I can't really stay there more than a few days.. it's so deadly dull around there. Nothing to do. No place decent to go out to eat.

Somewhere in the Tuscarora Range or Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania, maybe western Cumberland County, PA or northeastern Charleston County, South Carolina. Those places are secluded enough that they'd fit the above criteria, but not so far away from a city that I'd feel isolated.

Edited by DetroitNut90

This reminds me of my family's place in Ohio...rural eastern Ohio, about a 2 hrs south of Cleveland, 1 1/2 hours west of Pittsburgh...nearest town is 250 people, 5 miles away. 150 heavily wooded acres, a 4500 sq ft house, 1500 sq ft guest house, 4 outbuildings (incl 2 2 car garages). Two ponds, one 6 acres, one 10 acres. My folks have owned it almost 40 years.I spent a fair portion of my childhood there.

Today, I can't really stay there more than a few days.. it's so deadly dull around there. Nothing to do. No place decent to go out to eat.

Sounds like heaven to me.

Sounds like heaven to me.

That's how my mom and dad have described it over the years... it's a great place for a vacation, but I don't see how I could ever live there full time.. it's far too isolated...no high speed internet, no local culture to speak of, no decent cuisine within an hour, not even the basic amenities of suburbia I'm used to--the nearest Starbucks, Best Buy, Target etc are 50 miles away. It's in Tuscarawas County, in the foothills of Appalachia...

Only farmers, Amish, rednecks, gun kooks, etc around...no high tech companies or computer industry people like myself..

That's how my mom and dad have described it over the years... it's a great place for a vacation, but I don't see how I could ever live there full time.. it's far too isolated...no high speed internet, no local culture to speak of, no decent cuisine within an hour, not even the basic amenities of suburbia I'm used to--the nearest Starbucks, Best Buy, Target etc are 50 miles away. It's in Tuscarawas County, in the foothills of Appalachia...

Only farmers, Amish, rednecks, gun kooks, etc around...no high tech companies or computer industry people like myself..

I'm so sick of suburbia that it's making me violent (if only in my mind). And technology is starting to make me dizzy.

Frankly, I don't care if I ever see a Starbucks, Best Buy, Target, Home depot, or McDonalds ever gain.

I would never miss them.

$$$ no object, within continental USA:

I would DRIVE to Arizona to the Grand Canyon & then to L.V. NV.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Outside this great land of ours I'd like to visit the mother country: Slovakia.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To more accurately answer your query, Maine. The misplaced southern state. :P

I'm so sick of suburbia that it's making me violent (if only in my mind). And technology is starting to make me dizzy.

Frankly, I don't care if I ever see a Starbucks, Best Buy, Target, Home depot, or McDonalds ever gain.

I would never miss them.

Move to Ramsaytown, Knox Dale, or some other tiny village around here. No stores, no stoplights, no worries. :P

Having lived rural (Amish country of Ohio) for a large portion of my childhood, it's not all that it's cracked up to be. The negatives far outweigh the positives for me.

Pretty scenery, lots of open space...but you are always at war with the weather...dealing with brutal cold, deep snows, power going out, etc. I remember lots of mud also (the lousy weather in Ohio). The isolation works against you--it's a long drive to basic things like hospitals, groceries, etc...and little things like appliance repair, etc is a pain because of the distance.

Culturally, it's pretty dull...and the people often tend to be pretty conservative, people I don't like being around..

For the good six-figure jobs and amenities (bookstores, restaurants, etc), I need to be in a large metro area.

What do you need 5 outhouses for? Parties?

Hellooooooo!?!?!?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll get over it. LOL. Any populated place is Europe is WORK.

See, I have a different goal than Camino... I want to travel around and see stuff. I don't plan to stay in any one place for very long.

Camino wants a big barn away from everyone where he can tinker with cars. <at least that's my impression>

See, I have a different goal than Camino... I want to travel around and see stuff. I don't plan to stay in any one place for very long.

Camino wants a big barn away from everyone where he can tinker with cars. <at least that's my impression>

There is definitely an appeal to that...my folks bought their place (we called it the farm but we didn't raise anything) as an early retirement place... big classic Amish bank barn with room for 10-15 cars (between myself, my brother and my folks, in the '80s-90s we had a Winnebago, tractor, and 10-12 cars...loads of room to tinker. At one time we had 3 homes--a house in Steubenville, Oh (about an hour away), the 'farm', and a house in Florida (where we spent the school year when I was in jnr high/high school).

I love traveling, in the US and abroad, and ultimately I see myself having two homes...a primarly place in the suburbs of a large metro area and a weekend getaway place in the mountains..some place an hr away or so.

I've been in Colorado for 10 years now, and have been thinking a lot lately about staying here or moving somewhere else.. trying to decide careerwise what I want to be doing the next decade or so (I'm getting closer to 40).

Basically that's it. I'm so sick of having people in my face all the time , everywhere I go. Though I enjoy travel and like visiting new places, what I crave is a secure,secluded home base where I can do as I please without hassle. I want a home base to return to from where ever I go that acts as sanctuary "far from the madding crowd".

Oh my god, you're kidding me. If you really dont like being around people that much: come to Hyden, Kentucky. No joke, if rural is what you want, then rural is what you got. We have LOTS of space here in the mountains of Leslie county and lots of beautiful scenery. Nature is everywhere; your backyard is litteraly a forest and it only takes 10 steps to pick out a camping spot from your house. If you have an ATV, you'd love it here more because 80% of our roads are dirt (or roughly so).

But no joke. If you came here you'd probaly fall in love right away. :)

Basically that's it. I'm so sick of having people in my face all the time , everywhere I go.

The guy who owns the garage where my older 4 MCs are stored built his house/garage in the "far outskirsts" of Elgin in Plato Center ... way back in the '80s. Now, so much building up around that area ... he is getting crowded. Luckily, he still has his space ... but, the building between Elgin and Plato Center makes getting out there a bit of a hassle.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'll meet you in between" ... Tanya Tucker ... 'Lizzie And The Rainman'

Is that Camino in the white sailor hat, Hawaiian leis, in the blue shorts, waving to us? :P

:lol:

No, that' s a buddy of mine, taking a break from some serious drinking. (I think maybe he fell down!)

Oh my god, you're kidding me. If you really dont like being around people that much: come to Hyden, Kentucky. No joke, if rural is what you want, then rural is what you got. We have LOTS of space here in the mountains of Leslie county and lots of beautiful scenery. Nature is everywhere; your backyard is litteraly a forest and it only takes 10 steps to pick out a camping spot from your house. If you have an ATV, you'd love it here more because 80% of our roads are dirt (or roughly so).

But no joke. If you came here you'd probaly fall in love right away. :)

No, I'm not kidding. The "herd" gets on my nerves more each day. I've lived here all of my life and I really love this area, but the population density has ruined much of what I love about it.

I feel disenfranchised.

Hyden sounds like my kind of place.

Camino is preaching gospel to me...

This very reason is why I love my hometown so much, especially the area in which I live. We're right on the edge of the forest and it's a neighborhood of 7 houses at a dead end. If I wanted to go off from people, all I have to do is hit the mountain right behind my house and hike it to the national forest where no one would find me for months or years. (Seriously... Remember Eric Robert Rudolph? He stayed in these mountains avoiding the FBI for years, but he also had people who supplied him with food and such) But it's chnging fast because we're having an influx of people moving in (From urban yuppie areas, naturally) and destroying our mountains by building huge developments.

Charlotte is the exact opposite of that and it stresses me out so bad. I literally feel like I'm living on top of people and I have NO privacy. Traffic, people, clusterf**k building and urbanization all stresses.

Steph my GF is the exact opposite. She loves our hometown but enjoys the city more; she is an extrovert whereas I am pretty introverted. I could seriously see myself eventually buying a farm and having a barn or two full of classic cars and just pretty much withdrawing from society. (especially the way our society is heading) I mean, I'm not a hermit or anything but I've never really needed 'people' to survive and I don't think I ever will.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. I would certainly recommend WNC or eastern Tennessee if you want to get away. We have quite a bit of rugged, isolated places. We used to go camping for weeks at a time at this horse camp in the mountains that had no running water, no power and no phone for 20 miles; it was great!

This past saturday I went to a place called Elizabethton TN for one of their legendary cruise nights. I say legendary because I have been hearing about how good they are for 4-5 years. The cruise in was everything I had hoped for; main street historic district covered in old cars and car people, but the town is what really floored me. It was what seemed to be the PERFECT place to live; small town atmosphere with old mills and genuinely nice people who either cared about their property or farmed. Lots of retro and historic stuff and plenty of parks. Heck even the local driving range had a live band and EVERYONE was out either having a barbeque or walking or porch sitting. It was something else.

Part of the problem for me is that I've been unable to pull-off any quality "escapes" from the area for way too long. Consequently, my tolerance for all of the BS around here has grown very thin. Long term, I know that I have to get out of here. For the short term, a decent vacation would do wonders.

I'll see if I can pull that off this year.

When next I move, I want it to be for the last time. I need a sense of permanence more than anything - so I need to love the place I will eventually go to.