Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

If you wanted to get away, where would you go?

40 posts in this topic

I don't mean vacation destinations here, I mean a place without neighbors you can see without driving. A place where property values aren't measured in dollars, and "society" is a distant rumor.

I think I want to spend a few years in a place like that.

Maybe even the rest of my life.

What place would you nominate?

but I think somehow you knew that answer was coming from me....

Odds are I could have predicted your suggestion,yes. :AH-HA_wink:

Food for thought:

My mother's cousin is a real estate agent in a more rural part of PA, and has a current listing which gives me pause.

* two houses

*5 outbuildings

* 70 Acres

$300,000

I think I'd like to go back to Berwyn and Casey's Ale House and have myself another prime rib melt...

Europe?

One place in Europe I fell in love with is Stresa, a small town on Lago Maggiore in Northern Italy, close to the Swiss border. Beautiful alpine scenery, the lake, islands..very relaxing. I'd love to spend 6 months there every year, and maybe the other 6 months in the heart of London, my favorite big city.

Food for thought:

My mother's cousin is a real estate agent in a more rural part of PA, and has a current listing which gives me pause.

* two houses

*5 outbuildings

* 70 Acres

$300,000

This reminds me of my family's place in Ohio...rural eastern Ohio, about a 2 hrs south of Cleveland, 1 1/2 hours west of Pittsburgh...nearest town is 250 people, 5 miles away. 150 heavily wooded acres, a 4500 sq ft house, 1500 sq ft guest house, 4 outbuildings (incl 2 2 car garages). Two ponds, one 6 acres, one 10 acres. My folks have owned it almost 40 years.I spent a fair portion of my childhood there.

Today, I can't really stay there more than a few days.. it's so deadly dull around there. Nothing to do. No place decent to go out to eat.

Somewhere in the Tuscarora Range or Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania, maybe western Cumberland County, PA or northeastern Charleston County, South Carolina. Those places are secluded enough that they'd fit the above criteria, but not so far away from a city that I'd feel isolated.

Edited by DetroitNut90

This reminds me of my family's place in Ohio...rural eastern Ohio, about a 2 hrs south of Cleveland, 1 1/2 hours west of Pittsburgh...nearest town is 250 people, 5 miles away. 150 heavily wooded acres, a 4500 sq ft house, 1500 sq ft guest house, 4 outbuildings (incl 2 2 car garages). Two ponds, one 6 acres, one 10 acres. My folks have owned it almost 40 years.I spent a fair portion of my childhood there.

Today, I can't really stay there more than a few days.. it's so deadly dull around there. Nothing to do. No place decent to go out to eat.

Sounds like heaven to me.

Sounds like heaven to me.

That's how my mom and dad have described it over the years... it's a great place for a vacation, but I don't see how I could ever live there full time.. it's far too isolated...no high speed internet, no local culture to speak of, no decent cuisine within an hour, not even the basic amenities of suburbia I'm used to--the nearest Starbucks, Best Buy, Target etc are 50 miles away. It's in Tuscarawas County, in the foothills of Appalachia...

Only farmers, Amish, rednecks, gun kooks, etc around...no high tech companies or computer industry people like myself..

That's how my mom and dad have described it over the years... it's a great place for a vacation, but I don't see how I could ever live there full time.. it's far too isolated...no high speed internet, no local culture to speak of, no decent cuisine within an hour, not even the basic amenities of suburbia I'm used to--the nearest Starbucks, Best Buy, Target etc are 50 miles away. It's in Tuscarawas County, in the foothills of Appalachia...

Only farmers, Amish, rednecks, gun kooks, etc around...no high tech companies or computer industry people like myself..

I'm so sick of suburbia that it's making me violent (if only in my mind). And technology is starting to make me dizzy.

Frankly, I don't care if I ever see a Starbucks, Best Buy, Target, Home depot, or McDonalds ever gain.

I would never miss them.

$$$ no object, within continental USA:

I would DRIVE to Arizona to the Grand Canyon & then to L.V. NV.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Outside this great land of ours I'd like to visit the mother country: Slovakia.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To more accurately answer your query, Maine. The misplaced southern state. :P

Food for thought:

* two houses

*5 outbuildings

* 70 Acres

$300,000

What do you need 5 outhouses for? Parties?

I'm so sick of suburbia that it's making me violent (if only in my mind). And technology is starting to make me dizzy.

Frankly, I don't care if I ever see a Starbucks, Best Buy, Target, Home depot, or McDonalds ever gain.

I would never miss them.

Move to Ramsaytown, Knox Dale, or some other tiny village around here. No stores, no stoplights, no worries. :P

Cape Breton (already got sizable a chunk of land near where the picture was taken):

Posted Image

Hmmm...lots of great ideas.....

I just want to move somewhere rural.........

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Time is forever but love is a fire" ... Crystal Gayle ... 'Sound Of Goodbye'

Having lived rural (Amish country of Ohio) for a large portion of my childhood, it's not all that it's cracked up to be. The negatives far outweigh the positives for me.

Pretty scenery, lots of open space...but you are always at war with the weather...dealing with brutal cold, deep snows, power going out, etc. I remember lots of mud also (the lousy weather in Ohio). The isolation works against you--it's a long drive to basic things like hospitals, groceries, etc...and little things like appliance repair, etc is a pain because of the distance.

Culturally, it's pretty dull...and the people often tend to be pretty conservative, people I don't like being around..

For the good six-figure jobs and amenities (bookstores, restaurants, etc), I need to be in a large metro area.

Europe?

You'll get over it. LOL. Any populated place is Europe is WORK.

My vote: small towns in Quebec, north and east of Montreal. SOOOOOO peaceful. But you have to speak frog.

What do you need 5 outhouses for? Parties?

Hellooooooo!?!?!?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0