Nissan adds MPG gauge to Altima, G35

Flybrian

Nissan Rolls Out Fuel-Efficiency Gauge To Boost "Eco Driving"
Posted Image
Date posted: 08-21-2007 | Link to Original Article @ Edmunds

TOKYO — As part of its ongoing effort to get drivers to think green behind the wheel, Nissan on Tuesday said it is rolling out a fuel-efficiency gauge as a standard feature on such current models as the Altima and Infiniti G35 in the U.S. The company predicts it could "lead to an average 10 percent improvement in fuel efficiency."

The device eventually will be featured on all future new models, the company said.

The gauge gives instant fuel-efficiency and average efficiency readings. "By accelerating, the driver would instantly see an increase in fuel consumption reflected on the gauge," the company said in a statement. "Based on Nissan's trials, drivers have tended to improve their eco-driving habits over time, prompted by the real-time fuel-efficiency readings."

The device will also be installed on current models of the Nissan Skyline, Lafesta and Atlas in Japan. Of course, Nissan warns that results "may vary based on individual driving style."

What this means to you: If you've got a lead foot, Nissan's fuel-efficiency gauge will be of little help in conserving fuel — but at least you'll know the damage you're doing.

Great. Now I can curse Nissan Drivers too when I get to merge onto a NJ highway behind them and they are every so lightly stepping on the gas to get the very last drop of fuel for their MPG as a 18-wheeler approaches us at 75 mph in the slow lane. What a great f@#king idea. I already have to deal with "keepers of the speed" Priuses that feel that 54mph in the fast lane is OK because they are getting the best fuel economy and therefore everyone else behind them should thank them for bunching up traffic.

Great. Now I can curse Nissan Drivers too when I get to merge onto a NJ highway behind them and they are every so lightly stepping on the gas to get the very last drop of fuel for their MPG as a 18-wheeler approaches us at 75 mph in the slow lane. What a great f@#king idea. I already have to deal with "keepers of the speed" Priuses that feel that 54mph in the fast lane is OK because they are getting the best fuel economy and therefore everyone else behind them should thank them for bunching up traffic.

Well... there's a fine line to tread here. I use the ramp the best I can in all situations. Big huge ramp? Might as well speed up gently. On the other hand, the ramp that I usually use in the morning is ridiculously short, requiring me to hug the inside of the last corner to carry all the speed I can and floor the car to make it up to the 90 km/h speed limit to merge on before the lane ends. I CURSE at the morons who accelerate gently anyways, and merge onto the highway at 60 km/h.

Alot of cars already have this anyway. My GTO has avg and instant MPG in the DIC. I will sometimes try to maximize my fuel efficiency (within reason), but then I get tired of driving like a grandma and I downshift and floor it, ruining any gains in economy I just got.

But then again, lightly stepping on the gas in a GTO, and lightly stepping on the gas in an Altima are probably worlds apart.

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup::withstupid:

Well said. NJ highways are notorious for short acceleration lanes. So two options present itself: speed up or die. Anybody who drives a hybrid on NJ roads should be shot.

yea i remember using this at the dealership a lot...

on the cobalt i could receive almost consitantly 35-45 mpg, at a screaming 90-100 mph... its fun to watch and play with speeds...

the new tahoes too... i'd play with it... i could usually average 21-23 going 85 or so on the highway, not bad...

I would like a FE meter that has three values: instant, average1 (since the car was last started) and average2 (one that can be reset by the user)

Then I could monitor by tank of fuel while still being able to know which route delivers the best mileage (I'd never remember to reset this one before I left). Instant is just for curiosity sake.