A Question...

Cory Wolfe

How much do you think we could get out of the Sunfire?

To refresh your memories, it's a dark blue 2002 GT with the Twincam and a 5spd. It includes a sunroof, power locks, and the 400 watt Monsoon sound system. It has just over 100k miles at the moment, up from 84k when we bought it. As you may have heard me bitch about, it's reliability is a fluke, as with most J-bodies I've personally experienced. Between the ignition system, catalytic converter, backfiring, slight smoking, chugging oil, random noises, and it literally falling apart in places, it's a complete POS. Other than a few random blemishes, it looks excellent however, and most of the problems it has, can't be noticed with just a test drive. The most notable being a rattling noise that occurs are low speeds. I thought it was the catalytic converter, but it was just replaced.

I'm wondering if we could possibly dump it off with some unsuspecting fool without being raped. We originally bought it for $5800 or so.

Well, I'm no car salesman, but I'd say you want to edit your vehicle description.

Oh wait.............................. yes I am! :pokeowned:

LOL

Couldn't agree more.

Can you imagine BUYING the car for your wife or sister and THEN seeing this thread while trying to find out information about the car after it STARTS going bad?

Instant lawsuit winner.

To refresh your memories, it's a dark blue 2002 GT with the Twincam and a 5spd. It includes a sunroof, power locks, and the 400 watt Monsoon sound system. It has just over 100k miles at the moment, up from 84k when we bought it. As you may have heard me bitch about, it's reliability is a fluke, as with most J-bodies I've personally experienced. Between the ignition system, catalytic converter, backfiring, slight smoking, chugging oil, random noises, and it literally falling apart in places, it's a complete POS. Other than a few random blemishes, it looks excellent however, and most of the problems it has, can't be noticed with just a test drive. The most notable being a rattling noise that occurs are low speeds. I thought it was the catalytic converter, but it was just replaced.

I'm wondering if we could possibly dump it off with some unsuspecting fool without being raped. We originally bought it for $5800 or so.

I think the "unsuspecting fool" was already "raped". And owns it NOW....

:wink:

KNOWING misrepresentation of a vehicle ain't a cool thing IMO.

KNOWING misrepresentation of a vehicle ain't a cool thing IMO.

Agreed. I have to buy another car... and I don't have money to throw in the garbage. Someone might be buying this thinking they're getting a reliable car for school or work, and have major things to deal with. I'm counting on people to be mostly honest with cars. I would never sell my existing car (which starts up and runs like there's nothing wrong with it), under the misunderstanding that they're buying a reliable vehicle. The other night it was boiling coolant out the overflow until the tank was empty, and the car failed to give me any power when I hit the gas in merge situations. It randomly stalls after driving for a while, gets EXTREMELY poor fuel economy, and the rear left window doesn't always want to respond. If I were selling the car, and someone asked me is there anything wrong with it, I would be honest down to the last detail.

to be more serious with you BV, the amount you spent, and the amount you're going to get will make you sick to your stomach. i'm only familiar with my car market, but $2000 would probably be stretching it. You don't have to disclose anything, especially if you've had the repairs done, so as far as you know its been ""fixed"". In Ontario we have a "safetied"" car (where everything is inspected and up to code, so to speak) and an "<as is> category, where the car is sold with no warranties, express or implied, and its up to the buyer to get the car safetied. maybe your state has some version of the as is and you could sell it that way.

Let us know how it works out for you (I feel a HUGE rant coming on from BV's direction!)

Stacey

You could try selling it to CarMax and hope they don't find out its held together with construction paste, bailing wire, and God's good graces long enough to give you a grand or two. I really feel no remorse letting a place like that who typically bilks people on overpriced lease turnbacks and ex-rentals get it up the rectum now and again.

I wouldn't feel right pawning off obvious junk on someone whose intention is being a decent automobile. If they know they're buying a pile, Vaya con Dios. But do please be upfront to anyone looking for a car and not knowing what they're getting.

I'm voting your plan down.

You don't have to disclose anything, especially if you've had the repairs done, so as far as you know its been ""fixed"".

Stacey

Well, would YOU want to buy a car from somebody who is admitting it's a dishonest description?

I say be HONEST up front. Misrepresenting a car and ""pretending"" not to know what's wrong with it isn't right. It's wrong. Make the ad up describing it as "could need repairs", then answer questions as honestly as possible. The known problems don't have to be listed, but they definitely should be disclosed if asked about.

I would be pissed beyond believe if someone sold me a pile of &#036;h&#33; and tried to pass it off as a good vehicle. Especially if I'm looking for something affordable that won't be a huge money pit. I agree with what Fly suggested and try selling it to CarMax, otherwise be honest about the car.

Even if it was in good running condition I wouldn't want one of those things.

I think the "unsuspecting fool" was already "raped". And owns it NOW....

I would have to agree.

to be more serious with you BV, the amount you spent, and the amount you're going to get will make you sick to your stomach. i'm only familiar with my car market, but $2000 would probably be stretching it. You don't have to disclose anything, especially if you've had the repairs done, so as far as you know its been ""fixed"". In Ontario we have a "safetied"" car (where everything is inspected and up to code, so to speak) and an "<as is> category, where the car is sold with no warranties, express or implied, and its up to the buyer to get the car safetied. maybe your state has some version of the as is and you could sell it that way.

Let us know how it works out for you (I feel a HUGE rant coming on from BV's direction!)

Stacey

Well, this was more hypothetical than anything. There are currently no plans to sell it. I got to thinking last night about how it seems to be a better car than what it really is and was just wondering what a reasonable price would be if it came to that. I don't enjoy being dishonest with people, but what choice do we realistically have? My parents have already been drained enough because of it. It's to the point where putting anymore money into it isn't financially feasible. Taking a huge loss on a vehicle they've put so much money into isn't something they can afford to do either. They are not exactly bathing in money and I'm not in any position to help with my own issues to take care of. I hate seeing my parents stuck with yet another piece of &#036;h&#33; that is the equivalent of flushing money down the toilet. They can't seem to get ahead financially and this doesn't help any. They don't deserve this. If there were a way to get out of this without having to resort to misrepresenting it and not having to take such a huge loss, it would be nice and certainly ideal.

No, no don't misunderstand. I mean that if BV has all the repairs done, he then would be operating under the assumption that everything was fixed, I used the quotation marks because BV isn't a mechanic, and if he was holding a bill for work done, he would expect it had been fixed, and nothing would be misrepresented. If I had bills for work done, I wouldn't even assume it WASN'T fixed.

As I see it, there is a way for BV to sell the car without needing to misrepresent it. If he sold the car <as is> he wouldn't have to misrepresent, the designation itself implies that there are things wrong with the car, and the onus is on the buyer to make sure the car is road worthy. I don't know what its called in BV's state, but if there was such a thing, it's the way for him to go.

C'mon guys, do you seriously think I was telling BV to lie his head off? Not even close!

Edited by staceface

I would have to agree.

Well, this was more hypothetical than anything. There are currently no plans to sell it. I got to thinking last night about how it seems to be a better car than what it really is and was just wondering what a reasonable price would be if it came to that. I don't enjoy being dishonest with people, but what choice do we realistically have? My parents have already been drained enough because of it. It's to the point where putting anymore money into it isn't financially feasible. Taking a huge loss on a vehicle they've put so much money into isn't something they can afford to do either. They are not exactly bathing in money and I'm not in any position to help with my own issues to take care of. I hate seeing my parents stuck with yet another piece of &#036;h&#33; that is the equivalent of flushing money down the toilet. They can't seem to get ahead financially and this doesn't help any. They don't deserve this. If there were a way to get out of this without having to resort to misrepresenting it and not having to take such a huge loss, it would be nice and certainly ideal.

See?

And just when I was starting to lose hope with you, ya go and prove me wrong.

Be honest and up front if you sell it, not just for the buyer, but for karma.

You've got free time and access tom the internet (ebay & craigslist)

You should part it out and get $3000 - $4000 out of it.

Otherwise the best you'll do will be oh.... $2500 (if you're lucky)

BTW: at 84K miles $5800 was WAY too much!

Two words - insurance scam! I leave the details for you to figure out :AH-HA_wink:

Seriously, though, there's something to be said for being honest with buyers. Rather than fool anyone into thinking the car is better than it is, just tell them everything you know that's wrong with the car and let them decide if they want it or not. Not disclosing problems could come back to bite you. If someone buys the car and gets their undies in a bunch because they didn't know it was a steaming pile of you-know what, you could find yourself in small claims court, and you could be on the hook for the damages. I looked up the Kelley Blue Book value on a 02 Sunfire GT with the options you listed, and the private party value in fair condition (the lowest condition they eate) is just over $4,100. If that's accurate, I think $2,500 is attainable for it.

Well...you could set it on fire and collect the insurance... :scratchchin:

Coming from you J-body buddy.... :AH-HA_wink:

Most of the issues aren't too bad...I think you could squeeze 2500-2800 out of it with gas prices heading up...someone could use it as a daily beater.... :yes:

And it won't be too much longer before even the test driver will catch a few issues....so I wouldn't sneak anything by people..

At this point, you'd be better just fixing it up....it's going to cost a bit to get that 2.4 back into shape, but if repaired right- it should be fine....

A quick guess might be around a grand or so......

As far as the rattles, I'd just get used to it.... :(

You've got free time and access tom the internet (ebay & craigslist)

You should part it out and get $3000 - $4000 out of it.

Otherwise the best you'll do will be oh.... $2500 (if you're lucky)

BTW: at 84K miles $5800 was WAY too much!

Well, that would first require getting another car for my mom to drive to work.

On a side note, it books for $6400 with its current mileage according to Nada. Even more with KBB at $6800, yet the lowest trade in value is just a tad over $2000. Insane.

Well...you could set it on fire and collect the insurance... :scratchchin:

Oh, I'd love to just push it over a cliff, let me tell you... :P