Cadillac Prepares Limited Production STS-V And XLR

Guest Josh

DETROIT – The 2006 Cadillac STS-V and XLR-V take the performance and luxury attributes of the brand’s growing V-Series lineup to their fullest extent. Debuting in late-2005 (STS-V) and early-2006 (XLR-V), these new supercharged Cadillac’s represent an historic combination of performance technology and hand-crafted elegance. The 469-horsepower 2006 STS-V is the most powerful Cadillac ever offered. The STS-V is capable of exceptional performance for an automobile of its size, while also providing a high degree of hand-crafted interior luxury. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) will be $77,090, including destination. Production of the STS-V will be limited to ensure its exclusivity in the marketplace. The 443-horsepower XLR-V is the quickest and most agile Cadillac ever offered, while also providing a very high degree of hand-crafted interior luxury. Cadillac announced today that the MSRP for the XLR-V in the U.S. market will be $100,000, including destination. Like the STS-V, production of the XLR-V will be very limited to ensure exclusivity. Both the STS-V and XLR-V will be exported to international markets in 2006, with details on pricing in markets outside the U.S. forthcoming. “These additions to the V-Series lineup mark a new phase of Cadillac’s ongoing renaissance,” says Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. “With an elite level of driving performance, and an added element of hand-crafted elegance, STS-V and XLR-V present a new alternative for the most discerning consumers.” Both the STS-V and XLR-V combine advanced technology with hand craftsmanship that harkens back to Cadillac’s origins as a custom luxury coach builder. The Supercharged Northstar V-8 engine powering the STS-V and XLR-V is hand assembled to exacting standards at GM’s Performance Build Center in Wixom , Mich. Each engine is built from start to finish by a single expert craftsman. The interiors of both cars feature extensive use of leather wrapped surfaces, created by craftsmen who cut, wrap and sew leather around components individually. The 2006 STS-V and XLR-V marks the initial phase of a new approach to vehicle interiors for Cadillac. In this first incarnation, the existing luxury interiors of the STS sedan and XLR roadster are significantly enhanced for the limited-production V-Series variants. Kinetic aluminum accents adorn the steering wheel and instrument panel. STS-V features deep-tinted Olive Ash Burl wood accenting the center stack and door trim. XLR-V uses exotic Zingana wood trim. “Creating vehicles such as STS-V and XLR-V adds an element of exclusivity and customization that is highly valued by luxury consumers,” Taylor says. “These vehicles are an opportunity for Cadillac to extend the performance and elegance of our product range, exploring the full potential of our vehicles.” Both STS-V and XLR-V feature the new 4.4-liter Supercharged Northstar V-8 engine, paired with a new 6-speed automatic transmission with Driver Shift Control. This powerful combination enables 0-to-60 (mph) acceleration in less than five seconds. Both the STS-V and XLR-V include numerous chassis enhancements providing outstanding overall performance, developed and tuned at some of the world’s most demanding environments. Cadillac’s limited production V-Series was founded by the CTS-V, a 400-hp version of Cadillac’s sport sedan launched to wide acclaim in 2004. Cadillac’s V-Series products are designed to be fully competitive with the world’s finest high-performance luxury cars, at prices thousands less than comparable entries. Cadillac ( www.cadillac.com ) is a division of General Motors (NYSE: GM). GM, the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 317,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent and the second-highest total in the company’s history. GM’s global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

I've said it before and I will say it again. In my opinion, the XLR-V costs way too much for what it is. Both of them are competent cars I am sure but in this (price) class, they really need to stand out. Cadillac needs cars that will soundly beet the imports in every category. Here's hoping that I am wrong and these two are real winners.

Having seen an XLR-V or two at the Corvette plant I gotta say it looks VERY good with the new grill.  Also the XLR is super sweet by itself.  I would consider an XLR-V over the C6 Z06 if I had the money.

[post="26993"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It all boils down to that one sentence "If I had the money, I would buy it". The people who buy this car do it for status, not price (for the most part).

It all boils down to that one sentence "If I had the money, I would buy it". The people who buy this car do it for status, not price (for the most part).

[post="26997"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the problem with this car is that it isnt front page magazine material... thats why we all see it as a lackluster value... but people buy Ford GT's and Vipers... so I think it might have a spot in the competition...

the problem with this car is that it isnt front page magazine material... thats why we all see it as a lackluster value...  but people buy Ford GT's and Vipers... so I think it might have a spot in the competition...

[post="27026"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

perhaps it needs a more agresive or more sports like style rather then a box with a theme...

The XLR-V is NOT a $100K automobile......especially when you've got a world-class Z06 for $68K. The XLR is not doing well at all in California (based upon my lack of XLR sightings in and around L.A. and Orange County.) People buy status here....and XLR, nice looking and distinctive or not, doesn't make the same lifestyle statement of the SL-class or 6-series BMW.....both of which I see way more frequently (especially the SL which is almost common.) In fact, the C6 seems to have much better recognition and respect in southern California than its more-expensive platform-mate from Cadillac. I think the STS-V will have a better chance at it's mid-70's price point. Edited by The O.C.

The XLR-V is NOT a $100K automobile......especially when you've got a world-class Z06 for $68K. 

The XLR is not doing well at all in California (based upon my lack of XLR sightings in and around L.A. and Orange County.) 

People buy status here....and XLR, nice looking and distinctive or not, doesn't make the same lifestyle statement of the SL-class or 6-series BMW.....both of which I see way more frequently (especially the SL which is almost common.)

In fact, the C6 seems to have much better recognition and respect in southern California than its more-expensive platform-mate from Cadillac.

I think the STS-V will have a better chance at it's mid-70's price point.

[post="27114"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You are right... I see so many SL's, CLK's, S's (and those other ones) that I am tired of Mercedes. I actually DO NOT care for them anymore. I never cared for the 6 series in the first place.

On the other hand, it is always exciting to see an XLR (of which I have seen a hanfull in So Cal). I always notice the signature Caddy headlights and DRL's first, but then I realize it's not another CTS or STS, and my heart skips a beat!

So... exclusivity isn't such a bad thing after all...

It really is not fair to compare the XLR to the Corvette because, aside from the Y-body they're entirely different. The XLR is meant to go after the SL and the SC430, none of which would scare a Corvette driver. The XLR trounces both of those handily, and the V while not as powerful as the SL600 or the AMG SL55(on paper) also costs 25K less.

You are right... I see so many SL's, CLK's, S's (and those other ones) that I am tired of Mercedes.  I actually DO NOT care for them anymore.  I never cared for the 6 series in the first place. 

[post="27158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

some one told me that LA and the OC arent big on american cars.

but i have seeen a few XLRs and they are nice cars.but if i had the money for one i would still take the Z06 though. and buy myself a CTS instead.

some one told me that LA and the OC arent big on american cars.

but i have seeen a few XLRs and they are nice cars.but if i had the money for one i would still take the Z06 though. and buy myself a CTS instead.

[post="27246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I see tons of American cars... unfortunatley there are a little more foreign cars. But, the vast majority of SUV's are GM or Ford makes.

Just 'cause it has more power what makes them think they can sell it for 100k? They can't sell the standard car for 75k. Drop the prices on both cars like 10k and they might have some movement in the showrooms. Hopefully the movement in the showroom is not somebody sh*ting themselves when they see the window sticker!

In fact, the C6 seems to have much better recognition and respect in southern California than its more-expensive platform-mate from Cadillac.

Of course...

The Cadillac has only been out for a few years compared to 51 for the Corvette.

I'd venture to say that MOST or a LARGE MAJORITY of the general public doesn't even know that the XLR exists thanks to GM's shi**y marketing.

Everybody is bashing these cars like they bashed the HHR, yet it seems to be doing fine. (Oh, and I'm not retarded, I know the obvious HUGE differences. My point is that I think these cars will be successes in the face of scorn much like the HHR is)

It really is not fair to compare the XLR to the Corvette because, aside from the Y-body they're entirely different. The XLR is meant to go after the SL and the SC430, none of which would scare a Corvette driver. The XLR trounces both of those handily, and the V while not as powerful as the SL600 or the AMG SL55(on paper) also costs 25K less.

[post="27178"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

XLR HARDLY "trounces" the SL......and will NEVER match it for status or prestige (things that for right or wrong are vital to customers spending this kind of dough for a new car.)

However, it is much more car than the Lexus.....

Of course...

The Cadillac has only been out for a few years compared to 51 for the Corvette.

I'd venture to say that MOST or a LARGE MAJORITY of the general public doesn't even know that the XLR exists thanks to GM's shi**y marketing.

Everybody is bashing these cars like they bashed the HHR, yet it seems to be doing fine. (Oh, and I'm not retarded, I know the obvious HUGE differences. My point is that I think these cars will be successes in the face of scorn much like the HHR is)

[post="27767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually one of the major bitches about the XLR out here is the absolutely meager trunk space....especially with the trunk down.

Additionally, not everyone feels the XLR's angular styling take on "Art & Science" is necessarily that attractive.....

XLR HARDLY "trounces" the SL......and will NEVER match it for status or prestige (things that for right or wrong are vital to customers spending this kind of dough for a new car.)

How do expect to be unbiased if you're not willing to give the XLR a chance.

Your posts remind me so much of the journalism we read. (I don't mean that as an insult, it's just the same bias)

Additionally, not everyone feels the XLR's angular styling take on "Art & Science" is necessarily that attractive.....

I agree... The XLR, while nice, is probably the most boring interpretation of A&S I've seen (And yes I think the STS pulls it off better)

I don't really think price will be a big concern for likely buyers of these cars. The difference between a base corvette and the Z06 is over 20K.... I don't see people complaining about that. Both STSV and XLRV are only 5-10K more than the E500 and SL500 respectively and both are well under their competitors. (E55 and SL55 or whatever) Also keep in mind that on the SL/S500 you have to pay for options still while pretty much everything on the Caddys is standard

The XLR-V is NOT a $100K automobile......especially when you've got a world-class Z06 for $68K. 

The XLR is not doing well at all in California (based upon my lack of XLR sightings in and around L.A. and Orange County.) 

People buy status here....and XLR, nice looking and distinctive or not, doesn't make the same lifestyle statement of the SL-class or 6-series BMW.....both of which I see way more frequently (especially the SL which is almost common.)

I think the STS-V will have a better chance at it's mid-70's price point.

[post="27114"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The C6 is screwing up the XLR-V because of it's great price point.