Need Wiring Help!

Cory Wolfe

Basically, I'm attempting to install my Clarion CD player into the Cutlass. Needless to say, it's ancient wiring has confused me. The simple wiring diagram I have for it doesn't explain what two certain wires are. As well, I don't see where I'm supposed to connect two certain wires on the other end.

Posted Image

In this picture, the two wires in question are the brown and orange wires in the connector to the right.

Posted Image

In this picture, the GM wire diagram that doesn't explain what those two wires are.

Posted Image

In this picture, the Clarion wire diagram that shows the "memory back-up lead" and the "bus power lead".

Does anyone know what the brown and orange wires are? I'm thinking they might connect to the two yellow wires, but I'm not sure since I have no idea what they are. Can anyone please help me out here?

Oh Dude, when I tried to put my Sony CD player into the Prizm from the Shadow it was a nightmare because many of the colors don't match up and the wiring diagrams are useless. I managed to get it hooked up only because my friend with the Corolla has the same stereo...but the Pioneer stereo that came out of it to go in the Shadow still isn't cooked up right!

best of luck, sorry I can't help.

Do you have the stock stereo? It might help to see where those wires plug into it. I'm fairly sure that those two wires are power and a ground - but it's been a long time since I messed with a stereo install so don't take that as gospel. Do you have a test light? Check each wire with the key on to see what has power and when. Narrow things down as you go and trace whichever wires you can back to the fuse block (or elsewhere). Take your time and the process of elimination should get you there.

i'm having to guess "bus power" is for any accessories you plug into the back of the headunit, like if you added a cd changer.

brown wire would be if your cell phone had a thing to mute the radio if you had an incoming call.