Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Wheel wells

Ravenfreak13

I clean the salt/slush/sand out of them with a high pressure hose in the winter to prevent rust.

stop.

I do...

If it's one of my classic cars I do it very well because that's often a source of rust. If mud or salt or whatever gets up in there and stays for a long period of time and continues to get wet (a.k.a especially if it stays moist) it will begin to rust the fender and eventually you'll have big problems.

The Focus, like most newer cars, has plastic wheel wells. Not only do I wash them, I detail them as well with a silicone based detailer. It makes them black and at the same time makes it harder for crap to stick to them, making the next wash easier.

FOG, do you think a product like Meguire's Trim Detailer would work well? I got a can of it in a car wash kit last Christmas and wasn't sure what to use it on.

I spray the wheel wells with Simple Green, use what I can of an older plastic bristle bruch to scrub inside (not much space with the SKY & AURA - Envoy's easy), and then hose out. I do this everytime I wash my vehicles.

FOG, do you think a product like Meguire's Trim Detailer would work well? I got a can of it in a car wash kit last Christmas and wasn't sure what to use it on.

I spray the wheel wells with Simple Green, use what I can of an older plastic bristle bruch to scrub inside (not much space with the SKY & AURA - Envoy's easy), and then hose out. I do this everytime I wash my vehicles.

I think it would but I prefer to use something really heavy on silicone like Black Magic.

Trim Detailer is excellent to use on trim pieces that aren't traditional plastic (Rubber, etc.)

For example: I use it on the B pillar on my Focus because it's a rubbery type substance and traditional detailing stuff won't blacken it well because it's absorbed so many fingerprints over the years from people closing the door.

Here's a pic so you can get a better visual (The black piece between the windows and the trim that runs to the mirror)

Posted Image

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM