Autoblog First Drive: 08 Malibu

bowtie_dude

you beat me to the punch, I was just about to post this. for all GM fans, you can see good news, they are gushing over the car. They love it for the design, say it's one of the best designed interiors in a midsize to come out of domestic car company, ever.

Its an incredibly handsome car and has a taut, muscular presence that the Camry and Accord woefully lack.

"woefully lack"? dramatic?

Accord and Camry redesigns are about as muscular and taut as they've ever been. They just don't have it all going for them, including a pretty face like Malibu does. It's all in the details of the body form, the Accord and Camry do this reasonably well, but the Malibu does it extremely well.

"woefully lack"? dramatic?

Accord and Camry redesigns are about as muscular and taut as they've ever been.

That's like saying, "Did you see Rosie on YouTube today? She's about as attractive than she's ever been."

They just don't have it all going for them, including a pretty face like Malibu does. It's all in the details of the body form, the Accord and Camry do this reasonably well, but the Malibu does it extremely well.

I don't look at the camel-snout, grille-heavy, Camry with misaligned decklid badging as taut and muscular, nor do I view the piecemeal, mishmash detailing of the Accord in that fashion either. IMO, Chevrolet has the cues and the detailing in its bag o' tricks to make such a large midsize car; Honda and Toyota absolutely do not. No Accord or Camry have ever been good-looking in a taut, muscular way. Upscale? In certain years, certainly. But in a very soft, flowing way...a Buick way. Never strong and with purpose. Not now even. Seeing a Camry in person doesn't give me the feeling of a strong car, just a bloated sedan that someone attempted to lightly chisel. The new Malibu? Now that's[/b] something to aspire to in terms of design. A car so good-looking up front you don't care how the back looks.

I'm glad about a couple of things on this. Namely that the car is being so well received in so many circles, and that I am not the target audience for it.

I say that second part because, while the car is easily more appealing than the competition and the profile view is extremely attractive, I can't make myself like the front or rear styling.

There.

I admitted it.

I stopped by the local dealer to see when they were getting their Malibu's. They said hopefully soon and that the first 10 were spoken for.

First 10!?! How many people live in this area and how many dealerships are there? 10 is a lot considering no one has been able to test drive one yet.

I'm glad about a couple of things on this. Namely that the car is being so well received in so many circles, and that I am not the target audience for it.

I say that second part because, while the car is easily more appealing than the competition and the profile view is extremely attractive, I can't make myself like the front or rear styling.

There.

I admitted it.

Good for you Camino <pats you on the back> I know that took alot for you to say. I guess that MLA (Malibu Lovers Anonymous) is really helping you open new doors to the world of mainstream family sedans. :P:lol::duck:

First 10!?! How many people live in this area and how many dealerships are there? 10 is a lot considering no one has been able to test drive one yet.

2 dealerships in an area of 100k people. I wonder if they're going to a rental fleet...I didn't think of asking at the time.

I stopped and at the dealer tonight and looked at one . It was a White LTZ with the Ebony/Brick red 2-tone interior . The Malibu looks better 10 fold in real life , even the rear end . I was pretty amazed too with the interior . The car as a whole looked pretty upscale . The Honda dealer is across the street , in contrast ....I still think the Honda looks like a large Hyundai . These arent my style of cars so I dont know how either of them drive , but looks wise .....back to back comparison , the Malibu imo is the better looking car . In and Out .

To bad Chevy couldnt have whipped up a Parchment/Ebony interior accented with piano black and satin nickel trim . It would look incredible with the White and polished 18" wheels .