Holden Torana Hatchback LX : 1976-1979

That really is too funny. They got very excited about the whole "hatchback" thing but I have to say that tent came in handy waiting for roadside assistance after blowing a piston out bush....jk

Edited by zetaman

The Hatch Hutch was a popular option ... but it only sold to people that were shorter than about 5ft8, or who had never actually tried to sleep in the back of the car.

The car is quite small (think Vega sized ... and I think the hatches are exactly the same size) so the car was really too small for a normal sized adult to lie down in the back. I just measured mine, and it's only 5ft2 from the back of the car to the front of the folded down backs of the rear seats. I'm 6ft4, and there's no way I could lie down in the rear of my Torana unless I folded the passenger seat forward, and came up with some sort of padded block to fill the space between the folded down rear seats, and the folded forward front seat.

Yup!

Hatchback coupes are very useful cars. :yes:

Sure are.

If I can leave the hatch open or partially open, I can lug a lot of large stuff home in the back of my car ... full sized dish washer, 4 drawer filing cabinet, etc, although with the hatch closed and the rear seats raised, the very high rear floor means that mine has barely enough space in the back to fit my weekly shopping. On the other hand, the high floor means that there a lot of hidden space under the floor. Mine always carried a rather large cantilevered toolbox and a lot of other crap, and I always had a 2 man tent plus camping gear packed around the spare tire. One of the first things you discover is that if you store the spare tire upside down, you get extra storage space inside the wheel hub area, although at the cost of not being able to easily check the tire pressure.

And slightly more different was the rare 1977 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer's Chalet option, as seen in Crestline Publishing's 75 Years of Chevrolet (goes up to 1986, even includes the Sprint/Spectrum/Nova captive imports). And to note, the Nova Hatchback coupe option was called the "Hutch" I believe.

And BTW, at around 196" overall, the Nova was just 4" less than an Impala today, at 200" overall.

Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS