2009 TOYOTA MATRIX FIRST DRIVE

regfootball

Then Toyota coughed up this somewhat surprising statistic: about one-third of all Scion intenders that chose not to get a Scion ended up walking in the other showroom and picking out a Toyota.

So much for being a new hip brand.

Our advice for Toyota loyalist for a penchant for handling (tee-hee, are there any?): get the much, much sharper XRS.

:pokeowned:

Edited by smallchevy

• 2 weeks later...

The Vibe has always been much better looking than its Toyota Matrix sibling. The 2009 models carry this scenario over to the next generation.

I think the Vibe's redesign is a success. They kept the same silhouette but sharpened all the details. I think the 2009 model has sportier, more aggressive looks than the current generation. The Matrix redesign is a disaster. It has a bland appearance with very awkward details.

It's great to see that the GT trim level on the Vibe will have the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, 5 speed automatic transmission, independent rear suspension, 4 wheel antilock disc brakes, and tilt/telescoping steering wheel (I believe the brakes and steering wheel is standard equipment on all trim levels, though). These changes make the GT trim level more competitive with the Mazda3 hatchback model.

I do think the Vibe should rightfully be included in Chevy's lineup instead of Pontiac's portfolio. However, until Pontiac receives its Alpha platform product, I am glad that the Vibe is around to keep Pontiac going. I think this vehicle is a more brand appropriate vehicle for Pontiac's lineup than the pitiful, badge engineered Chevy G5 clone coupe. At least the Vibe doesn't look like a Matrix with Pontiac brand cues; it has its own unique, attractive exterior appearance (although the Vibe and Matrix do share their interior designs).

Hopefully, Pontiac will eventually receive a family of Alpha platform products. I would love to see Pontiac offer sedan, coupe, convertible, and 5-door hatchback variants. If they do this, then the Vibe can be discontinued at the end of this redesign's life span (approximately 5 model years?). If contract agreements bind GM to continue to produce a GM/Toyota joint effort vehicle, then the following generation needs to be reassigned to another GM division.

Edited by cire