Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Smart Car 70MPH Crash Test

8 posts in this topic

An old video that has been up on Youtube since 2005, but I didn't see anyone posted it, so I decided to. Most of you probably have seen it. The British did the 70MPH Crash test to arguarably the tiniest, and one of the highly popular cars in the world, Smart. I know it's old, but enjoy.

Wow, I like small cars but not that small. It would be interesting to see what a Cobalt, MINI, or a Volvo C-30 would do in a crash like that.

Chris

Moral of the story: You're pretty well f@#ked if you hit a concrete wall at 70mph in just about any car.

Moral of the story: You're pretty well f@#ked if you hit a concrete wall at 70mph in just about any car.

That's what I was thinking. You could be in a Town Car, but a 70 MPH crash is probably gonna kill you.

I dunno- I hit a full-grown deer at 100 with no seat belt/air bag and didn't even bump my elbow. Yeah- a concrete/stationary impact is no comparison, but hit a person or animal or smaller car and physics plays the starring role. IE: give me the Town Car over the thatSmarts!.

You can see the foot well is completely gone in the Smart. You'll probably survive, but only half of you.

It really doesn't matter how well the vehicle itself stands up if the G-forces are transferred directly to the bodies of the occupants. The entire point of a long hood with 'crumple zones' is to absorb the shock and extend the length of the impact, thus reducing the transfer of G-force to the human body. That is why you would be better off in a Tahoe by default.

Still, it is impressive that the car survived. Maybe your beneficiaries would be happy to put it back on the road.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0