Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

Mark Reuss named head of GM Australia unit

65 posts in this topic

Richard Truett

Automotive News

January 10, 2008 - 12:23 pm ET

DETROIT -- Mark Reuss, the executive behind General Motors' new generation of high-performance vehicles, has been promoted to vice president of GM Asia and managing director of GM's Australian subsidiary, GM Holden Ltd.

The promotion is effective Feb. 1. Reuss will report to Nick Reilly, GM group vice president and president of GM Asia Pacific.

Reuss, 44, an engineer, has been executive director of GM's global vehicle integration, safety and virtual vehicle development since 2006.

From 2001 to 2005, he was executive director of GM's performance division, which created the successful V series for Cadillac, SS line for Chevrolet and Red Line vehicles for Saturn.

The move to Australia is a natural progression for Reuss, son of former GM President Lloyd Reuss.

GM's North American operations have been leaning on Holden for high-performance rear-drive vehicles, such as the Pontiac GTO and G8. Holden played a big role in engineering the new Chevrolet Camaro.

Reuss will succeed Chris Gubbey, Holden's current managing director. Gubbey, 51, has been promoted to GM Europe vice president and managing director.

In that job, Gubbey will run GM Russia, which includes the Commonwealth of Independent States. He will report to Carl-Peter Forster, GM group vice president and president of GM Europe.

Warren Browne, 56, who now leads GM Russia, will become executive director of GM's European business development. One of Browne's main tasks is to lead GM's growth strategy for Turkey.

So who takes over at GMPD?

Why that will be me! :smilewide: You know I never kiss and tell. All I can say is keep watching! :P

RWD Chevy Chevettes for everyone. :AH-HA_wink:

Will that have 2.0 DI turbo 300hp, and an optional V-8?

FWD 1.8 litre diesel Opel Corsas for everyone. :AH-HA_wink:

fixed for truth.

fixed for truth.

Actually, I think the Corsa GSI with the 1.7L diesel on sale in europe now is PCS's doing :scratchchin:

Reuss' last job has already been filled by Dennis Mooney (but as a full VP), who preceded Gubbey at Holden.

Edited by thegriffon

Reuss' last job has already been filled by Dennis Mooney (but as a full VP), who preceded Gubbey at Holden.

Are you familiar enough with each of these guys to interpret what these changes might mean for each entity involved?

These guys just hop from post to post on their way up the Global corporate ladder. In a fat multi-tiered corporation like GM these guys struggle and compete to make names for themselves in the short time they're at their post - much like politicians do.

The downside is that the eye is on short-term success, turning annual profits, and not the long term

Dennis Mooney

These guys just hop from post to post on their way up the Global corporate ladder. In a fat multi-tiered corporation like GM these guys struggle and compete to make names for themselves in the short time they're at their post - much like politicians do.

The downside is that the eye is on short-term success, turning annual profits, and not the long term

That may have been, but not this time.

Not so much for the entities as the individuals. This is Reuss' next step in training to run GM. From here he will be shuffled among larger GM regional groups — Daewoo, Vauxhall, GM China, GM AP etc. If he does well he will eventually end up running GMNA and then GM.

That may have been, but not this time.

Perhaps that's true but 6 months is a very short stint in any role.

My greatest concern is the dual role - VP GMAP & MD Holden. PCS, as you well know Holden values it's isolation from the rest of the GM group as a sense of "autonomy". Being a forgotten outpost had it's upsides. Reuss' dual role in AP will dilute that sense of isolation and since his responsibility extends to the region, decisions to cut models or move production facilities will be made to ensure Regional performance, and not solely at the national level.

For example, if there's a business case to save money by moving Holden production off-shore it's easier to make that decision at the Regional level rather than at the national level. Reuss' dual role creates a conflict. In any case, I think it's fair to say that Holden is now well and truly drawn into the great pillowy bossom of mother GM.

Perhaps that's true but 6 months is a very short stint in any role.

My greatest concern is the dual role - VP GMAP & MD Holden. PCS, as you well know Holden values it's isolation from the rest of the GM group as a sense of "autonomy". Being a forgotten outpost had it's upsides. Reuss' dual role in AP will dilute that sense of isolation and since his responsibility extends to the region, decisions to cut models or move production facilities will be made to ensure Regional performance, and not solely at the national level.

For example, if there's a business case to save money by moving Holden production off-shore it's easier to make that decision at the Regional level rather than at the national level. Reuss' dual role creates a conflict. In any case, I think it's fair to say that Holden is now well and truly drawn into the great pillowy bossom of mother GM.

I hate to say it, but this post will make PCS' day.

I hate to say it, but this post will make PCS' day.

True, I suppose. But neither my post, or PCS glee will affect the reality one way or another - no matter how influential he claims to be... :AH-HA_wink:

True, I suppose. But neither my post, or PCS glee will affect the reality one way or another - no matter how influential he claims to be... :AH-HA_wink:

As I said, the assimilation begins. I take no particular glee in that, other than the fact there is only one GM. GM needed unity, it was a conflicted organization. With this perhaps there will be a single direction now.

That would be nice... provided that it is the right direction.

EDIT: It seems to me that Holden's independent spirit is the reason that there are still GM cars I actually want.

That would be nice... provided that it is the right direction.

EDIT: It seems to me that Holden's independent spirit is the reason that there are still GM cars I actually want.

I don't mean to trample down you spirit, but did you notice who Chris Gubbey (Holden's MD) reports to now?

I don't mean to trample down you spirit, but did you notice who Chris Gubbey (Holden's MD) reports to now?

No worries, my spirit is like Holden's and I won't allow trampling. :AH-HA_wink:

You mean Holden's ex, short-term MD?

Yeah, I noticed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0