So who likes big Caddies?

I bought a great book today. It's the encyclopedia of Cadillac from birth to 2005. Ive paged through it and it looks like a great book. Thanks for sharing this big Caddy.

They made one for Chevy too... I'm considering lobbying the publisher to make one for Oldsmobile.

If it weren't for the fact that everybody who sees a hearse out of a funeral setting turns into a miserable asshole and resorts to everything from anonymous vandalism to bitching to local government to try and make it illegal to have one parked in a residential setting, that would already be in my driveway. It's been up for about a month and I LOVE the odd white leather/ivory paisley interior it has. Shame people just can't learn to live and let live, appreciate the vehicle for what it is if nothing else, and not automatically jump to the conclusion that the owner of such a vehicle is some sick and twisted f@#k that wants to kill their children and burn them at some sacrificial altar in the woods.

I always thought a hearse would make the ultimate station wagon (except for a Magnum SRT8 IMO). It's nothing more than a cool ass car to me, not some sicko's dream boat. That's the first I've heard about people having a problem with them.

Are you kidding me?!? Go check out the Professional Car Society messageboard and read story after story of people's experiences with anonymous and not so anonymous vandalism, threatening letters, town ordinances, and other bull$h!. Here's a few excerpts:

"I was out working on my 76 m-m ambulance tonight with my dad and it was getting pretty dark out. I had the car parked in the alley and my dad was just walking around the back yard and I went in to get some water to put in my radiator. I came back out and my dad said a white car just drove through the alley and paint balled my car. I looked at it and I was at least glad that no damage was done. I washed off the paint right away before it dried. My dad said he ran out behind the car with a flash light and couldn't catch the licence number. We did report it anyways. I have a feeling this isn't gonna be the only time somethings gonna happen to it."

"I've had my share. I've gone to car show once and I was the only hearse. I pulled in and in between two cars. Some guys came up to me, kicked my doors in and they yelled "Get that piece of Sh@# out of here". I had over $2000.00 in damage. They refused to pay. I took them to court and of course won. I demanded a public appology at their next car show. I've even had a church group curse at me and call me evil and they threw rocks at me and the hearse. Another guy pushed a shopping cart into another hearse of mine repeatedly."

"last summer some girl threw a plastic pop bottle at my coach while driving down the street because she thought that cruising around in a hearse was sick"

"someone threw a pop at our vice president's '73 Crown Sovereign"

"Dad's and my first ambulance (yes, there had to be a first one) was a '69 M-M Volunteer, which we purchased from a volunteer ambulance squad in Philadelphia. Between when we agreed to buy it and when we picked it up, it was parked outside and someone shot out the window in one of the side doors"

"A local kid however got the exact opposite. He was a high school kid who got a 74 M-M. It needed a bit of work, but he though it would be fun. He even participated on the old board. His car was frequently vandalized in the school parking lot when he drove it to school. His neighbors didn't like the idea of the hearse in the driveway and constantly called code enforcement and the police for him having a commercial vehicle parked in the driveway. Once while driving with his mother, they were chased by some punks from school who were wielding baseball bats. Shortly after that, he sold the car."

"I went to Wal-Mart this afternoon to pick up a few things and when I returned, there was a note on the coach saying they've got calls into the Police Department and City Hall to make me get rid of such a vehicle. I was informed that "any decent person wouldn't be caught driving one of those things". Well, upon my return home, I did indeed call both City Hall and the Police Department. The note was true and over 100 citizens have filed complaints, or should say TRIED to file complaints, saying I need to get rid of the hearse. I was also informed by City Hall, there is about 150 or so trying to get a petition going to have an ordanance banning the private ownership of such a vehicle in the city limits as well."

...... and that's just the tip of the iceberg!

Edited by XP715

That, is sick. It's my feeling that those people who do stuff to these cars should be in the back of a hearse.

Agreed. It's a shame that people's ignorance forces those with a legitimate hobby (a good chunk of which have a background in either funeral services or emergency medical services and just want to hang onto a piece of the good old days) to have to hide it away from the rest of the world until a specific occasion arises.

Too bad no one organizes a petition to rid the neighborhood of toyotas.

In most any locality, a vehicle is only 'commercial' depending on how you register it. Thusly, no reason a hearse cannot (and almost always is when collector-owned) be registered non-commercial, rendering any arguement against banning it, groundless & illegitimate.

The '76 is neat, but too new for my tastes. Looked at a sweet '66 this summer, but it disappeared shortly after.

I would love to get my hands on a flower car, preferable a western style, partial to '41s at the moment.

Anyone who is generally against these type vehicles is an idiot.

Looked at a sweet '66 this summer

I looked at a '67 Miller-Meteor combination last winter but decided against it with these stories in mind. At the moment I have no safe, out of sight parking options for such a vehicle and wouldn't want my hard-earned restoration dollars to go to waste when some ignorant prick feels the need to destroy something he doesn't understand. However, at some point in my life I WILL own a hearse AND an ambulance; I want to ride around in both BEFORE I die!

Yup.... I'd LOVE to have that, indeed it would make a great family car, 6.5mpg and all! :P

XP has directed me to the P.C.S. website to read those in the past when I was either

thinking about buying a hearse (one silver '83 Oldsmobile 98 in particular) or when he's

been thinking about buying a hearse or ambulance himself. Some people are complate

and utter waste of sperm, oxygen & the space time continium.

Balthazar:

You're exactly correct, you can privately own a Peterbilt 379 or Kennworth W900 and

park it legally in your driveway, or like some nerds around here you can have a Corolla

sedan on commercial plates, or a VW Bug if you're one of those Geek Squad dorks.

It's registration that determines that not the vehicle.

This kind of $h! makes me want to buy a hearse even more though! These people

need to be STFU by us car collectors as a collective. It's not Communist Russia yet in

here... last time I checked it was still a free country.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Sure is a neat hearse ... wouldn't mind driving that Caddy ;).

As for those stories, XP ... holy crap, I'm not sure I want to read the rest of the iceburg :(.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Nothing lasts forever" ... Simple Plan ... 'Perfect'