Toyota caught out cheating with their new Lexus IS-F racer

monaroCountry

Lexus IS-F racer actually a 2004 Opel Vectra DTM car?

Posted Jan 21st 2008 4:57PM by Jonathon Ramsey

isf_racer_vectra_dtm.jpg

Remember that luscious Lexus IS-F racer study that received its fair share of unrequited attention the Tokyo Auto Salon? According to AutoBild, it turns out the car isn't an IS-F racer at all -- well, at least not beyond the hood and fact that it has four doors. The German paper reports that the car is actually a Lexus reskin of a 2004 Opel Vectra DTM racer (above, top). Even the engine is from the Opel DTM car, and not a Toyota V8. This could explain why no one at the Lexus stand at the salon would say a word about the car.

So Lexus might get away with never claiming it was a Lexus... cough, cough... but it's a bit odd that they would let Winding Road get the idea that it's the pet project of the IS-F's chief engineer, designed to show the true potential of Lexus' hot sedan and "something of what a full race IS-F might just feel like." Perhaps what a full-race IS-F might look like. Unless Lexus really intends for a full-race IS-F to feel like a 4-year-old Opel.

Thanks for the tip, Georg!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/21/lexus-i...-vectra-dtm-car

Misrepresentation... false advertising... general bull... :lol:

Could this be a lawsuit?

No. But it is hilarious. Toyota is passing GM up as largest automaker in the world - while admitting that their engineers can't put together a race car chassis.

Want more proof? Watch Formula 1 some time. Yep, that'll be Toyota - back on the transporter after 15 laps.

I should take back my last statement, actually. Toyota's apparently NOT winning the sales war, either.

Sales race, auto race, any race - Toyota won't win it!

No. But it is hilarious. Toyota is passing GM up as largest automaker in the world - while admitting that their engineers can't put together a race car chassis.

Want more proof? Watch Formula 1 some time. Yep, that'll be Toyota - back on the transporter after 15 laps.

Actually I have much more respect for Honda, Mercedes, BMW, et. al when it comes to foreign carmakers in racing.

...as well as Mazda, who manages to put thousands of race cars on track (formula Mazda, Spec Miata, MX-5 Cup, RX-7,and others) each weekend.

Go to an SCCA race some time. The no show of Toyota products will delight and amaze you...oh wait, maybe that's NASCAR also...

Chris

I should take back my last statement, actually. Toyota's apparently NOT winning the sales war, either.

Sales race, auto race, any race - Toyota won't win it!

They are winning the Rhetoric race quite well, thank you!

Oh, wait, you wanted something that actually involved automobiles. Guess your S.O.L.

Chris

They are winning the Rhetoric race quite well, thank you!

Oh, wait, you wanted something that actually involved automobiles. Guess your S.O.L.

Chris

There's also the PR race...they've got a good-sized lead there...

in a related story, when asked what kind of power this "Toyota V8" would produce a leading Toyota exec looked confused and said "I have no idea, i dont like vegetable juice"

No surprises here...

I mean, this is the same company that RIPPED OFF Chevrolet's motor design for NASCAR (Then was credited in the media for "re-engineering it to be better")

This is also the same company that was caught cheating not halfway into their first NASCAR season.

This is also the company that can't seem to even qualify for a NASCAR race most of the time, much less run competitively.

Yet NASCAR applauded them for a "legendary effort"

This is the same company that has put out initial press releases NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE NOW stating that they outsold one of the big 3 (First Ford, then GM) in global sales to inspire a media blitz and then shy away from it like it was some sort of big "mistake"

It's Toyota... 90% of their company and reputation is straight smoke and mirrors. They cheat at EVERYTHING.

For Toyota, and the asians in general, CHEATING is business and it's how they've become so successful. They're entire operations are built on false promises and achievements.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

No surprises here...

I mean, this is the same company that RIPPED OFF Chevrolet's motor design for NASCAR (Then was credited in the media for "re-engineering it to be better")

This is also the same company that was caught cheating not halfway into their first NASCAR season.

This is also the company that can't seem to even qualify for a NASCAR race most of the time, much less run competitively.

Yet NASCAR applauded them for a "legendary effort"

This is the same company that has put out initial press releases NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE NOW stating that they outsold one of the big 3 (First Ford, then GM) in global sales to inspire a media blitz and then shy away from it like it was some sort of big "mistake"

It's Toyota... 90% of their company and reputation is straight smoke and mirrors. They cheat at EVERYTHING.

For Toyota, and the asians in general, CHEATING is business and it's how they've become so successful. They're entire operations are built on false promises and achievements.

It's okay, because I haven't believed NASCAR to be relevant to anything since about 1994 anyway. They're as good as marketing their "brand" as Toyota is, which makes the two companies a perfect fit for each other.

Joe Gibbs is running Toyotas now, which means that Tony Stewart is too - just you watch as the Camry (regardless of team) immediately becomes competitive. Coincidence? I would think not.