Chris you were right

prinzSD

As much as I hoped that the C7 would finally get a mid engine configuartion, I have to eat crow and give props to Chris Doane :duh: . Here is what Peter DeLorenzo said;

"Mid-Engine Corvette Fans. Publisher's Note - BREAKING NEWS (First Posted at 6:30pm, 1/10/08): I have learned that the often-rumored, on-the-front-burner/off-the-front-burner mid-engine proposal for the next-generation Corvette (C7) has now officially been shelved because of costs associated with doing the program. The challenges that I reported as being "solved" last August on Autoextremist.com apparently grew more complex, and because of that the volume proposition for the mid-engine Corvette came apart. To do the car properly would have meant limiting its numbers to the point that it would put the car at a price point far beyond the historical value-performance equation that the Corvette has enjoyed almost since its inception, even beyond the price point of the recent Ford GT. It's not clear yet how much the new EPA regulations factored into the decision. So now, the next-generation C7 will be in a much lighter and slightly trimmer package size, with traditional front-engine/rear-wheel-drive configuration. Even though engine choices are fluid at this point in time, an aluminum V8 will remain an essential ingredient of the next-generation Corvette. But you can also expect a dramatic, advanced, "alternative" powertrain configuration to be a prominent option on the car. So there you have it, folks, the fabled mid-engine Corvette is dead for another generation. And one more thing, it is said that the death of the mid-engined C7 will not affect the ongoing development of the next-generation Corvette racing car that's being developed for the new "EVO" rules due to take effect at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2010. That racing program, which revolves around a mid-engined car designed to new technical regulations, is said to be continuing as planned."

autoblog reports that the C7 program is on hold until 2009.

Probably a wise idea considering everything is in flux at the moment and making a decision that can affect future products should be weighted carefully. I just hope GM is not paralyzed and takes forever to make a decision on future products.

• 3 weeks later...
I better cancel my subscription to "Bleedin Obvious Weekly"

:lol:

I am not sure why this keeps rearing its ugly head. Why would they seriously want to change the configuration of the Vette, since doing so would probably anger the Vette community? I say forget making the Vette a mid engine vehicle and never bring up the subject again.

• 1 month later...

The hold is nothing.

Since CAFE change they are just taking a look at what they want to do since they are early in the program. They don't want to get alot of work done that would have to be changed by later desisions.

The smaller lighter car with a smaller V8 is what Tom Wallace said they are looking at right now.

The car may change but performance will be the same or in some cases like handling and braking may be better.