Did you just call me Canadian?

Toronto Star article

Is "Canadian" the new black? Perhaps – that is if you're a racist speaking in code.

Recent revelations that the term "Canadian" is being used to replace racist names for black people have got a Texas assistant district attorney into trouble and have left others wondering what exactly it means to be labelled a Canadian in the American south.

Long derogated as weak-kneed liberals with lax laws and funny monopoly money, Canadians have carried a negative connotation in certain regions of America – but not as a replacement for the N-word.

Earlier this week a columnist with the Houston Chronicle uncovered an email from Harris County assistant district attorney Mike Trent who, in a congratulatory note to a junior prosecutor, used the word "Canadians" to describe blacks on a jury.

Trent wrote of the prosecutor in a 2003 email: "He overcame a subversively good defence by Matt Hennessey that had some Canadians on the jury feeling sorry for the defendant and forced them to do the right thing."

Trent's email remained unchallenged by colleagues who received the email, despite there being no actual Canadians on the jury.

But when Trent's office came under scrutiny this month over an unrelated incident, the email was unearthed, leaving Trent open to accusations of bigotry.

Those accusations are grounded in allegations that the use of "Canadians" was in keeping with the definition listed on an online racial slurs database that defines "Canadian" as a masked replacement for the N-word.

In his own defence, Trent said he honestly thought there had been Canadians on the jury and did not understand the negative connotation of the word.

Others, including the columnist with the Houston Chronicle initially thought the reference to Canadians may have been a misspelling of Californians, who are themselves seen to espouse many of the same liberal values as Canadians.

Despite the controversy, Henry Wells, a Texan and media relations officer with the Canadian Consulate General in Dallas, says he has never heard the term used in a racial manner before.

Edited by the_yellow_dart

Guest YellowJacket894

I guess Idiocracy is much more than a movie after all; it's probably more like prophecy.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I guess Idiocracy is much more than a movie after all; it's probably more like prophecy.

I fail to see what this has to do with the article?

Although I did see that movie last week, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I think there was some truth in it, but I'm not pessimistic enough to think things will get quite that bad.

Guest YellowJacket894
I fail to see what this has to do with the article?

That just when you think human beings can't get any more stupid or ignorant, they do.

That is one of the stupidest tings I have ever heard.... :rolleyes:

Just be thankful you don't live around here and have to put up with the Toyota Star on a regular basis. A couple weeks ago we were lectured about how using phrases like 'blind as a bat' and 'falling on deaf ears' are hurtful. :rolleyes:

All this nonsense is coming from a country where fat people now have the right to force airlines to give them two seats and only charge them for one. One woman in a wheelchair mewled that she couldn't 'afford' to visit New Brunswick for a holiday because she couldn't afford to pay for her caregiver, too. <_<<_<

Lunacy knows no bounds.

This is old news. I've witnessed this in practice at least since I was in high school back in the mid 90s. Ultimately it shows both ignorance AND cowardice, as anyone racist with balls would just call a black person the n-word right to his face, not that I condone doing so.

Back up chump, you know biggie smalls rips it quick

And kicks it quick, you know how black Canadians get

With the hoods fatigues with the boots with trees

Smokin weed, flippin kis, makin crazy gs

Hittin buckshots at Canadians that open spots

On the avenue, take my loot, and Im baggin you

Pimpin hoes that drive volvos and rodeos

Flash the roll, make her wet, in her pantyhose

Damn, a Canadian style is unorthodox

Grip the glock, when I walk down the crowded blocks

Just in case a Canadian wanna act out

I just black out, and blow they motherf*ckin back out