Chevy Camaro to be a 2010 model, not 2009

In a case of what appears to be semantics, Chevy has revealed that the Camaro will now be a 2010 model, rather than a 2009 model. The semantic part is that the car will go on sale in the spring of 2009, yet still be called a 2010 Camaro. The reason the car won't go on sale earlier in 2009 is because Chevy says "it would have meant a short model run before changeover to "10 production".

So we aren't sure how the car could go on sale earlier in 2009 unless Chevy began selling it in the rather un-Camaro-like season of winter. We also aren't sure why it matters whether they call it a 2009 or a 2010 -- people just want to take deliveries of their Camaros already. And we aren't sure what sort of apocalyptic upheaval takes places between '09 and '10 production.

Chevy: give us the Camaro. Please. Call it a 5150 or 10,000 B.C. model year car, we're not particular. To paraphrase the Bard, it isn't the model year that will be the death of us, it's the wait for the car. Just so you prospective buyers know, the convertible will go on sale a year later, in the actual year of 2010, and will also be called a 2010 model. Together, Chevy expects to move 100,000 units annually of the revived musclecar, if it ever gets here.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/12/chevy-c...model-not-2009/

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Much to do about nothing for those who know.

Scott Settlmire has said for a long time that the car is a 2010 so nothing new there.

Also I to speak to Scott when I saw him about a week and a half ago. He stated then in late Febuary the Camaro would be in the show rooms.

GP is dead the Impala is being move and may already be set up on the new line. The Camaro line should be getting ready to be set up.

Scott has said the pilot cars will be started late Nov 08 and production cars should ship in Febuary.

This is nothing but a early mid year intro just as the 2004 GP was introed in March of 2003 and other GM models that apprear early in the year as a early mid year intro.

There always can be a delay since nothing is being built but as Scott stated we should be seeing them a year from now.

Here is what Scott also posted not long ago.

Originally Posted by fbodfather

Yes -- it will be a model year 2010 -- but we have not moved the 'start-up' date. We'll start building Camaros in the 4th quarter of 2008 -- and they'll be in dealerships in the first quarter of 2009.

Sounds like I could be making plans to clean one of the guns here at home and then making a trip to Europe. :smilewide:

You might want to reconsider that, I grew up in TexAss, and as such, I have known how to use weapons since I was 11 years old. plus if you get to Europe you will find I live in a gated community here, I prefer them, keeps the rift raft out. :smilewide:

You might want to reconsider that, I grew up in TexAss, and as such, I have known how to use weapons since I was 11 years old. plus if you get to Europe you will find I live in a gated community here, I prefer them, keeps the rift raft out. :smilewide:

I am sure he did not intend to kill you P-C-S, you are too much down the GME food chain to make any difference. :P

Yeah, and ZR1 production is now pushed back to September. Great. Shades of SSR all over again. It is tough to remain so loyal to a company that clearly doesn't give a &#036;h&#33; about Canada. What the f$#k are we going to do with all the pre-orders on vehicles that people were expecting in the summer? September means Xmas deliveries for a lot of people. Just in time for the first blizzard. <_<

I am starting to think Enzl is rubbing off on me. I understand that production/design changes can be a nightmare, but these happen too often with GM. I had a customer whine to me about how he works for a plastic company that supplies GM and they got dozens of design changes for plastic moulding on the Colorado/Canyon: his company went crazy trying to keep up. And he claims that one of the project managers came from the Cadillac division and didn't understand the simplest design terminology.

I have an ugly feeling that by the time we get the Camaro, it will be a big YAWN in the market. We will be at $5 a gallon and you guys will be at $4 - GM WILL THROW A BIG PARTY AND NOBODY WILL SHOW UP.

You forget my state is well known for being anti-gun control as well. I've been shooting rifles since I was just a young kid myself. No, I haven't shot one in quite sometime, but it's like a bicycle, yes? You never really forget how. :smilewide: :AH-HA_wink:

But, no, on a serious note, if I have any business in Europe, it'll be strictly related to my career after college. Leave the vigilante assassination missions to a delusional Sixty-8 after they build that B-pillared Beretta-in-spirit Camaro from Satan smallchevy mentioned. :P

Trust me, after the Camaro, BMW will probably earn my business, and, given the current turn of rate of things, probably what scrap of talent I can offer. Damn pity, too. It would have been fun at GM.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Yeah, and ZR1 production is now pushed back to September. Great. Shades of SSR all over again. It is tough to remain so loyal to a company that clearly doesn't give a &#036;h&#33; about Canada. What the f$#k are we going to do with all the pre-orders on vehicles that people were expecting in the summer? September means Xmas deliveries for a lot of people. Just in time for the first blizzard. <_<

I am starting to think Enzl is rubbing off on me. I understand that production/design changes can be a nightmare, but these happen too often with GM. I had a customer whine to me about how he works for a plastic company that supplies GM and they got dozens of design changes for plastic moulding on the Colorado/Canyon: his company went crazy trying to keep up. And he claims that one of the project managers came from the Cadillac division and didn't understand the simplest design terminology.

I have an ugly feeling that by the time we get the Camaro, it will be a big YAWN in the market. We will be at $5 a gallon and you guys will be at $4 - GM WILL THROW A BIG PARTY AND NOBODY WILL SHOW UP.

I don't think there can be any legitimate pre-orders yet. Also if anybody expected it to be a Summer 08 release would have to have extremely high expectation. The Challenger and Camaro came out at the same 06 NAIAS and it took Chrysler until Summer 08 to come out with the it when they already had most of the parts already in production. Ever since it was approved in August of 06, the Camaro has been a first quarter of 09 release. To me, a two and a half year gap between approval and release using a yet created platform is pretty darn good.

You forget my state is well known for being anti-gun control as well. I've been shooting rifles since I was just a young kid myself. No, I haven't shot one in quite sometime, but it's like a bicycle, yes? You never really forget how. :smilewide: :AH-HA_wink:

But, no, on a serious note, if I have any business in Europe, it'll be strictly related to my career after college. Leave the vigilante assassination missions to a delusional Sixty-8 after they build that B-pillared Beretta-in-spirit Camaro from Satan smallchevy mentioned. :P

Trust me, after the Camaro, BMW will probably earn my business, and, given the current turn of rate of things, probably what scrap of talent I can offer. Damn pity, too. It would have been fun at GM.

PSSSSST! Didn't you hear, you have to know someone, to get in. :AH-HA_wink:

• 4 weeks later...