Driver goes three miles with lodged body

mustang84

Driver goes 3 miles with lodged body

A motorist hits a pedestrian on 34th Street, then drives to the Sunshine Skyway with the victim stuck in the windshield.

The St Petersburg Times
By CRAIG PITTMAN, Staff Writer
Published October 20, 2005
St. Petersburg Times

ST. PETERSBURG - A 93-year-old motorist struck and killed a pedestrian Wednesday evening, then drove about 3 miles with the body lodged in the windshield until he was stopped at a Sunshine Skyway tollbooth.

The driver told officers he thought the body had fallen from the sky, said St. Petersburg police Officer Mike Jockers.

"He had no idea he had been involved in an accident," Jockers said. "He doesn't totally understand what happened."

The crash occurred about 8:30 p.m. when the 52-year-old pedestrian attempted to cross 34th Street S from east to west near 46th Avenue S, witnesses told police.

The pedestrian made it across two of the southbound lanes before he was hit by a 2002 Chevy Malibu, which was traveling about 45 mph, police said.

The impact severed the pedestrian's lower right leg, which remained in the street. His head and arms went through the windshield, while the rest of his body flipped up onto the roof of the car, Jockers said.

"The driver continued southbound, as the eyewitness said, like nothing happened," Jockers said.

As the car approached the toll plaza, the toll taker thought it was a prank, until he saw the blood.

When the driver stopped, the body fell into the car, Jockers said.

A veteran traffic investigator, Jockers said it was one of the most gruesome scenes he has worked.

Neither the name of the driver nor the name of the victim was released Wednesday.

The victim had been living in a motel on 34th Street S. Friends said he had been trying to get to McDonald's for a bite to eat, Jockers said.

The driver, who lives in Pinellas Park, told police that he was headed home. Pinellas Park, however, is miles in the opposite direction.

"Obviously, he was confused," Jockers said. "Incredibly confused."

The driver was taken to Bayfront Medical Center for evaluation.

He will probably not face criminal charges, as he appeared unaware that he had been involved in an accident, Jockers said.

Posted Image

Another case of why past a certain age in people there should be a retest every year if they want to keep their license. Break it up the cost of each test into a quarter of the standard payment one pays every 4 years to renew their license (50 for us La residents) It wont stop this entirely from happening but it would cut down on it some as there seems to be a lot of that with some handicapped elderly citizens driving past their reasonable grasp. Edited by Brandon Lutz

No friggin way ? I can believe it actually. We were headed south on I81 to Tennessee. In Virginia, I saw a car coming in the rear view mirror on the shoulder, but after watching he was actually going from shoulder to shoulder, bouncing all over the road, running cars to the side. He was traveling about 5-10 mph faster than most traffic which was at 74mph. I tried to stay in front for a while but he was running to fast. As I let him by its this ancient man, most likely close to 90 years. He had a look on his face like that guy in yellow darts avitar. He head was cocked upward and at an angle and all his teeth were showing. We called police on cell and they said they had recieved calls already and were aware of the situation. They never showed up and we were with the guy clear until we got off in Knoxville. After I let him pass and watched him for awhile I repassed him and actually slowed him down, he seemed to respond to alittle correction but it wouldnt last long he would start wondering all over again and trying to go really fast and pass or run everything out of his way. At least I kept his speed down. The damn cops never came. He had a Florida licence plate. Perhaps this is the guy ?

The thing I don't understand is how this guy was not aware that he had hit something yet was still able to drive normal for 3 miles. There was a picture of the car posted somewhere and the windshield was completely smashed and cracked into his field of vision. How could he not be aware of a body dangling like a foot away from him? I think the old man was just using senility as an excuse to not be held accountable for an accident. I'm also curious of any other drivers noticed his car with a bodly dangling from it.

*Insert random FlyBrian joke involving Gary Coleman*

[post="32457"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Gary Coleman, now 94 yeard old, gets tired of being mistaked for the admin on a GM fansite, as Mr. Coleman is an avid Toyota fan, so he tried to run over "Flybrian" in order to take out one more Gary Coleman impersonator. It seems Mr. Coleman forgot to put a phone book on his seat and he could not see where he was going or who he ran over. After hitting a random pedestrian, Mr. Coleman continued on his way until stopped at a toll-booth. Edited by Satty

As you'll read, I am very disturbed by this trend in older generations.

I have almost lost all compassion for the older generations for not spending the time to evaluate their options instead of keeping with their selfish ignorance and endangering others on the road. Keep in mind, I am in no way using this opinion as blanket-coverage for all seniors; however, I also believe that mandatory testing be performed at a certain age. For the very least, to continue updating and refreshing the simple rules of the road. Many of the seniors in this province never had to test for their license; rather, it was simply handed to them by the government. 'You own a vehicle? Here's a piece of paper saying you can drive it.'

Mandatory testing with the possibility of losing your license is certainly not an infringement of rights, and not age discrimination. It is simply a measure for testing competency. I see it as no different than testing for employees to be able to operate sensitive equipment where their inability could endanger other lives. You wouldn't hire a person without adequate ability to do their job without compromising the safety of others, so why would you offer a driver's license to someone with the inability to do the same?

It all comes down to politics. Creating laws without losing the respect of this ever-increasing demographic is virtually impossible.

This example isn't one of few. Seniors in my city seem to have a difficult time remembering that a four-way stop was introduced at a certain intersection over 40 years ago. Some still drive right through it like it was never there. These drivers simply weren't paying attention.

A personal experience was when driving behind a couple as they idled at 35 km/h in a 50 km/h zone on a service road that paralleled Highway #1, looking for a particular turn. I understand if a little confused, people will slow down so as not to miss a turnoff; however, this driver literally stopped his car in the middle of a two-way intersection (we were on a thru-street with no stop sign) before I could make my right turn. He wanted to get onto the highway on the left; however, didn't realize that the road on his left was the exit for highway traffic onto the service road. Nobody knew his intensions, and stopped. A lady on the right (6th Ave) couldn't go around him to turn left. The guy exiting Hwy #1 onto the service road couldn't cross to carry on to 6th Ave.. I was boxed in behind him with the curb on the right, so I couldn't turn right onto 6th Ave. He brought traffic to a grinding halt for around twenty seconds while, apparently, thinking that he could turn left around the guy in the truck, into a no-entry lane, and turn right onto a 110 km/h road with no acceleration lane. People on the highway were rapidly seeking the left-hand lane while he slowly motored in the high-speed lane. I couldn't believe my eyes. Had the guy just drove another 100 feet on the service road, he would have been able to drive left onto an acceleration lane, merging onto Hwy #1. Yet, another access was further down the street.

Common sense is right out the window with some of these old geezers. If you can't do something where you are, chances are you can somewhere else. Why they think what they're doing won't make a difference to anyone is disturbing. It's like I always say, they think they're driving in a farmer's field...no lines, and open territory to go wherever you want without restriction.

I understand Mr. Coleman refuses to get rid of his '84 Ciera because the a/c vent below the steering column keeps his face cool and none of the new cars have that.

[post="32559"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thats really a shame, if we had more "ball coolers" we wouldn't have as much "ball funk" in the world.

Here's a queastioon no one has asked... if this guy was driving at a high rate of speed why did the pedestrian get in his way? Why? probably one of these guys thinking "Screw this car, they'll just have to slow down." I see a lot of those here in Mass. It does not excuse the supposedly senile driver but if people only crossed when it was safe to cross we'd have a lot less of these incidences. When I find myself as a pedestrian I err on the side of caution. I'd never let myself be run down becaus I don't run into traffic expecting peol top slow down. Edited by Sixty8panther

That's a good question sixty, but when that happens to you do you take it on your ownself to go ahead and kill those people. Seriously, slaughter them? No, you stop and you angrily [or however] let them go. This person slaughtered someone and then drove on WITH a body hanging out the window, that's pretty damn scary to me, and would make me think about just how many more like him there are.

I do agree with the mandatory retesting, something happens very quickly sometimes at older ages, then others do better but still have impairment. In the same token, how in the hell do the woman, some men, all teenagers, and all immigrants get their licences. convientmarts ? I believe a drivers licence is something that needs to be taken much more seriously across the board. Teenage drivers need to be taught properly not by their parents who may themselfs have poor driving habits and skills. Like anything else it needs to start at the beginning, then perhaps when these teenagers become the elderly they will have a better base knowledge to work with in the first place. Edited by razoredge

How about mandatory retesting every 2 years after a person turns 60 years old, every year after 70 and every 6 months after 75. Like Razor mentioned some people loose it very quickly. Although it does seem this guy was just using insanity/senility as an easy way out. How the hell do you surmise that a body lodged in yuor windshield fell from the sky? and you nevre even bother to pull over. :WTF:

In the same token, how in the hell do the woman, some men, all teenagers, and all immigrants get their licences.

[post="32716"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

By passing their road test.

I'm beginning to think swallowit and razoredge are the same person. :blink:

I do agree with the mandatory retesting, something happens  very quickly sometimes at older ages, then others do better but still have impairment.

In the same token, how in the hell do the woman, some men, all teenagers, and all immigrants get their licences.

convientmarts ?

I believe a drivers licence is something that needs to be taken much more seriously across the board. Teenage drivers need to be taught properly not by their parents who may themselfs have poor driving habits and skills. Like anything else it needs to start at the beginning, then perhaps when these teenagers become the elderly they will have a better base knowledge to work with in the first place.

[post="32716"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Geeze fellas, whats the problem ? What did I say above that is not true ? Ya'll dont mean to suggest that the roads are not littered with drivers that should not have been better scrutinized for their abilities before handed a licence to drive a 1.75 ton heavy thing ? Are you suggesting that you have not witnessed incompetence in the above mentioned catagories(in addition to the elderly one).

Good so you dont agree with my saying

"I believe a drivers licence is something that needs to be taken much more seriously across the board. Teenage drivers need to be taught properly not by their parents who may themselfs have poor driving habits and skills. Like anything else it needs to start at the beginning, then perhaps when these teenagers become the elderly they will have a better base knowledge to work with in the first place."

Well go dang me to the dark depths of the earth.

If you cant recogonize the dif between myself and swallowit......... well Ill save the insult, just open your eyes and quit trying to read something into what I say that isnt there. If you wanna talk about problems Im sure to bring em all up. Like I did here.

Across the board !

:CG_all: