2010 GM Advanced Technology Four Cylinder

This proposed 2.1 liter Ecotec Adv can replace the 2.0 liter, 2.2 liter and 2.4 liter Ecotecs.

The engine is available in naturally aspirated form (with HCCI) and turbocharged form (without HCCI). The HCCI engine serves as the base engine for the RWD Pontiac Solstice, new RWD Pontiac G6, the Saturn Sky, the new RWD Holden Torana, the FWD Chevy Malibu and FWD Chevy Cobalt. The turbocharged engine is available as an option on the Solstice, G6, Sky, Torana and the Cobalt. The Malibu receives a 300 hp HCCI 3.6 liter V6 option. Gear changing is accomplished by either the 6L50, 6T40 or 6T70 6-speed automatic transmissions. There is no manual gear boxes offered even on the RWD roadsters while GM works on bringing its 6-speed dual clutch gearbox to market in subsequent model years.

New technology introduced include:

• Advanced geometry silicon impregnated cast pistons
  • 2-stage Variable Valve Lift
  • Cylinder Pressure Sensors
  • Spark gap ionization based knock sensing
  • Homogeneous Charge compression ignition (LNX only; up to 55 mph at light loads)
  • Ball-bearing cartridge dual scroll turbocharger (LNY only)
  • Metal matrix catalyst
  • Reduced Friction roller chain cam and balance shaft drive
  • Semi-permanent mold 356 AL cast aluminum block and heads
  • Sodium filled Iconel exhaust vavles
  • Forged crankshaft and connecting rods
  • Direct Gasoline Injection
  • Coil-on-spark direct ignition
  • Dual Continuously Variable Cam Phasing
  • Roller cam followers
  • Variable pressure fuel rail 50~150 psi

lnxdatayx9.gif

lnydatast6.gif

lnxlnyfg5.jpg

So..

For the same money as an LS V8 I can get a car with less power that requires more expensive fuel (Turbo)?

Dwight, you're good but why should someone like me buy this? (Playing devils advocate)

Maybe in the future, the government will tariff V8's so they will be out of reach for most... or the government will offer major rebates for people who operate engines of this size, bringing the price down.

So..

For the same money as an LS V8 I can get a car with less power that requires more expensive fuel (Turbo)?

Dwight, you're good but why should someone like me buy this? (Playing devils advocate)

The devil is in the details.

4 cylinders are lighter

Smaller packaging, I know someone, somewhere, stuffed an LS1 into an Aveo, but get back to me when he needs to change the spark plugs.

Minor tweaking to this package would allow it to run on E85 and allow the turbo to be cranked higher for even more horsepower.

HCCI up to 55mph allows for substantially higher fuel economy than an LS1 could ever hope to get. You can't put HCCI on a pushrod. Making the LS1 into DOHC makes it...well... not the LS1 anymore.

So..

In short, because it is the smallest, lightest way to get 300 hp. This allows the vehicles that accommodate it to have smaller engine bay volumes and hence be lighter and smaller. It also allows for better weight distribution -- especially with transverse FWD applications. It will also post somewhat better fuel economy numbers when driven gently. In a 3200 lbs vehicle, you can expect ~ 25/31MPG from a 2.1 liter I4T engine vs about 17/27 with a 5.3 liter LS4 with AFM. Lastly, there is a whole class of younger buyers who dig the turbo whistle and not the V8 rumble.

or the government will offer major rebates for people who operate engines of this size, bringing the price down.

YAY subsidies!!!! /sarcasm. what else will the do with our tax dollars?!!!

Edited by loki

I'm 6'9'/ 360 lbs... I can't do this "smaller" stuff that everyone thinks is the future.

If smaller is the future, then that's one more reason to shoot myself.

'nuff said.

Here's an idea: why not turbo a smaller displacement V8 for people who want a purest car. (Like me) Like REALLY small.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm 6'9'/ 360 lbs... I can't do this "smaller" stuff that everyone thinks is the future.

If smaller is the future, then that's one more reason to shoot myself.

'nuff said.

Here's an idea: why not turbo a smaller displacement V8 for people who want a purest car. (Like me) Like REALLY small.

Who said the car has to be smaller?.... this would be a great base engine for a Zeta.

Why was this bull$h! posted. It is fine to post but you made it look like it was real that pissed me off. You have me going. What a crock of $h!.

Aren't you being a little harsh? Sure it's hard to tell if it's for real or just his proposal, but I think he knows what he is talking about when it comes to powertrains and he made an interesting post. I'll take these (his) types of topics/posts over some other "crap" any day.

By the way... how about you trim your signature a bit?