Sebring interior redesign?

They need to work diligently to get the emergency makeovers to market. I don't think the Sebring will ever be considered a completely attractive car, but some major revisions might significantly improve its chances in the market. I know it's too expensive to change the overall shape of the vehicle, but a thorough and properly executed midcycle makeover might be sufficient enough.

At the very least, they need to do the following changes:

1) Completely revise the front and rear styling of the car.

2) Remove the black plastic slab from the C-pillar.

3) Revise the door design to accomodate for the removal of the C-pillar. I would suggest making the window surround all black or body color. I would also add a chrome accent that completely surrounds this area to give the car a more polished and upscale appearance.

4) Introduce a thoroughly revised interior design that incorporates better materials and improved fit and finish.

5) Utilize more sound deadening techniques to enhance the quality feel of this car.

6) Upgrade the base powertrain combo to a 4 cylinder/6 speed auto combo.

These improvements should help to make this sedan more competitive in the market. I just hope we see something similar to this from Chrysler soon. Along with some of you, I thought we would have seen some detailed info on this makeover already.

I sure hope that Chrysler's "planned" upgrades on these vehicles' interiors comes to fruitition!

They need to work diligently to get the emergency makeovers to market. I don't think the Sebring will ever be considered a completely attractive car, but some major revisions might significantly improve its chances in the market. I know it's too expensive to change the overall shape of the vehicle, but a thorough and properly executed midcycle makeover might be sufficient enough.

3) Revise the door design to accomodate for the removal of the C-pillar. I would suggest making the window surround all black or body color. I would also add a chrome accent that completely surrounds this area to give the car a more polished and upscale appearance.

4) Introduce a thoroughly revised interior design that incorporates better materials and improved fit and finish.

5) Utilize more sound deadening techniques to enhance the quality feel of this car.

These improvements should help to make this sedan more competitive in the market. I just hope we see something similar to this from Chrysler soon. Along with some of you, I thought we would have seen some detailed info on this makeover already.

Those are some solid changes. What's upsetting is, they got the ideas right... they put so many little things in the car that would make it stand out as a leader, like heated/cooled cup holders, a chill box, YES essentials fabric, the MyGig... but if the style is all wrong, no one will even get inside one to check them out.

maybe a whole new car would be simpler.

maybe a whole new car would be simpler.

I think that is what they really need and I think they know it. They have claimed that they are diligently working on replacements for their midsize sedans. However, they have to try to salvage the Sebring/Avenger until they can develop/engineer their replacements. I would rather see them make some much needed modifications to the existing products to try to buy them some time to hopefully make the replacement products class leading and truly competitive vehicles. The last thing Chrysler LLC needs to do is rush half baked new products to market that were developed under the Cerberus managed regime. The new products need to be carefully designed/engineered to show the public that the "New Chrysler" can be a serious player in the auto market.

The Avenger doesn't look that bad. I think the exterior needs a little styling refinement to clean up some details and announce to the public that the car has been significantly updated/improved overall. In addition to the improvements that I previously listed for the Sebring, I would like to see Dodge add a 2.4 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder engine option available with a choice of a six speed manual or six speed auto transmission. The suspension might also need some tweaking to make this car's handling a little sportier.

I think the Sebring would benefit from a 300-esque approach to its exterior makeover. When the black plastic slab is removed from the C-pillar, the Sebring's shape takes on a dramatic visual change. I think this shape could be combined with a 300-esque front and rear treatment to give Chrysler a more formal looking midsize sedan. If this exterior makeover is properly executed along with the other improvements mentioned previously, then Chrysler might be able to turn the Sebring into an appealing alternative choice in the midsize sedan market.

Hopefully, these improvements would be enough to attract more attention and buyers to these products. The makeovers will have to be well executed and advertised to get customers to even consider/look at these vehicles. I would rather see Chrysler LLC spend some money to do this than offer superficial gimmicks such as their gas rebate promotion. Improved products will help them much more in the long run.

As far as the next generation of midsize sedans, I would like to see Chrysler LLC follow the plan listed below:

* Split the midsize sedans so that they are no longer platform mates.

* Avenger replacement: Utilize Chrysler LLC's relationship with Nissan to develop a replacement for the Avenger on Nissan's FWD D platform that underpins the Altima and Maxima. Offer sedan and coupe versions of this car. The car would only share the platform with Nissan, the exterior/interior styling would be unique to the Dodge version. Resurrect the "Intrepid" name for this car.

* Sebring replacement: There are two options that Chrysler LLC could explore to find a donor platform for the Sebring replacement. The first would be to use the SWB RWD LX platform that underpins the Challenger. The second would be to again utilize the company's relationship with Nissan to develop a replacement product on Nissan's RWD FM platform. I would rather see Chrysler stick with their own modified LX platform for a midsize product and pursue the use of Nissan's FM platform to develop a compact RWD product. Chrysler should resurrect the "Concorde" name for the midsize car and offer sedan and coupe-cabrio versions (Chrysler could use the "LeBaron" name on the compact car, which would also be available as a sedan and coupe-cabrio).

* This plan would enable Chrysler LLC to offer significantly different products from Chrysler and Dodge that would further define the image and purpose of each division. It would also save development costs by either using an existing platform (Chrysler's LX) or depending on a platform that has already been developed by a partner.

Edited by cire

Those are some solid changes. What's upsetting is, they got the ideas right... they put so many little things in the car that would make it stand out as a leader, like heated/cooled cup holders, a chill box, YES essentials fabric, the MyGig... but if the style is all wrong, no one will even get inside one to check them out.

You're absolutely right. The "surprise and delight" features are present and accounted for, but they don't matter much when the exterior styling is bland or offensive and the interior has a cheap, dreary feel. This is especially true in the midsize sedan segment where there are so many competitive and well executed choices.

If Chrysler LLC is really serious about fixing the midsize twins shortcomings, then I don't think either car is a total wash or lost cause. A makeover can be done in a relatively short period of time and for a lot less money than rushing out a subpar replacement. It is critical that the eventual replacement products are well executed and competitive so that the "New Chrysler" can escape the subpar performance and reputation of its past incarnations (especially the recently mismanaged and derailed period the company suffered under Daimler's reign over the company). I would truly love to see this company achieve a "Phoenix-esque" revitalization in the market.