Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Specs from GM

Interesting that they are doing 2 different V8s of the same displacement...(LS3, L99). It seems the L99 differs in having AFM and lower hp/torque numbers. Sure is nice to see 6spd transmissions across the board and IRS. And 4 wheel discs w/ ABS standard. Alas, the V8 w/ automatic...over 3900lbs!

Interesting that they are doing 2 different V8s of the same displacement...(LS3, L99). It seems the L99 differs in having AFM and lower hp/torque numbers. Sure is nice to see 6spd transmissions across the board and IRS. And 4 wheel discs w/ ABS standard. Alas, the V8 w/ automatic...over 3900lbs!

AFM is the only reason for the L99 to exist. GM's AFM will not work with a manual.

The weight doesn't bother me one bit, but then I'd never buy an automatic Camaro new anyway. It would be almost as wrong as an automatic Vette.

AFM is the only reason for the L99 to exist. GM's AFM will not work with a manual.

The weight doesn't bother me one bit, but then I'd never buy an automatic Camaro new anyway. It would be almost as wrong as an automatic Vette.

Yeah, but the manual isn't much lighter...over 3800 lbs.

Yeah, but the manual isn't much lighter...over 3800 lbs.

And, I can see how some Camaro purists might object to that. However, I'd rather have the solid car that the weight buys you than a featherweight and flimsy car. I don't think the performance will be diminished in any way within its class by the weight.

As for MPG, in a car such as Camaro that is a concern much farther down the list than it would be for say, a Cobalt. Not that the Camaro isn't very competitive within class on MPG, because it is.

I think Camino is right on. EVERYTHING is too heavy nowadays, the harping on GM alone is not justified (yea; it's a GM board...) - Camaro, as a much larger car, is still 500 lbs lighter than a 2-seat mercedes AMG- which by rights should weight 3200 but somehow is 4400. That's 400+ lbs heavier than my iron block/head long bed F-150.

In the same breath, people scab-pick at a GM's weight yet lambast the same car for no sunroof or NNAAVVVV. :rolleyes: