MetallicA: Death Magnetic (Few more updates)

• 2 weeks later...

So... anyone else taking issue with the apparent deficiency is sound quality? The first few times I listened to the album was in a car (Venture with crappy factory system, and Enclave with awesome Bose system), and I had to bring everything up on the EQ to try to hear things better. When I played it for the first time on my home stereo, I noticed that I still barely heard the bass guitar, and the sound just wasn't crisp.

link to article

I haven't heard the whole album yet but here's a simple fact:

There will never be another "Master of Puppets" Cliff is dead, and the entire

band has turned into a bunch of insane, high maintenance babies..... with

their life-coaches and all that new-age bullcrap, eh.. whatever.

I like what I have heard so far, ad while many Metallica fans disregard it as

a "true metallica album" they said the same about the Black Album, which is

also a little weakas compared to MoP & RtL but in any case it stll kicks the

piss out of much of therest of today's music.

One thing I did respect, back in the Load & (re)Load days was in an interview

the band (well, Hetfield) said that they 're NOT going to keep rehashing the

same musicjus because a lot of fans want a "Ride the lightning II" album...

From what I've heard so far, the album is a great combination of "old" and "new" Metallica. The songs are structured very much like MoP and AJFA era Metallica, with somewhat unpredicatable shifts in tempo within the songs, and Kirk's solos that literally seem to come out of nowhere. Yet, James seems to be having the time of his life "singing" the lyrics as he did from 96-00. I really like what I hear and didn't think they were capable of something this good. After St. Anger I thought they were washed up.

So... anyone else taking issue with the apparent deficiency is sound quality? The first few times I listened to the album was in a car (Venture with crappy factory system, and Enclave with awesome Bose system), and I had to bring everything up on the EQ to try to hear things better. When I played it for the first time on my home stereo, I noticed that I still barely heard the bass guitar, and the sound just wasn't crisp.

link to article

Haven't really had that issue in either my Cobalt's Pioneer system or my Sony home theater system. It sounds great on both counts, especially when played very loud :metal:. The only issue I've heard of was the sound from Lars' snare drum - they compared it to sounding like banging on a Rubbermaid garbage can.

The copy I have sounds GREAT on a my house system because it is a good system. On my iPod however, I can definitely tell exactly what these people are complaining about.

I would love for the band to re-release a "fixed" CD. But how on earth would they get new copies to the 500,000+ people who bought the album?

My house system isn't bad, based on how other CD's sound, and I can clearly tell where the new CD just isn't clear.

Maybe they can offer a way for people to download a "fixed" version based on them having purchased a copy? This would probably require knowing if a CD has been used to dowload said "fixed" copy, just so people can't get it for free...

>>"From what I've heard so far, the album is a great combination of "old" and "new" Metallica. The songs are structured very much like MoP and AJFA era Metallica, with somewhat unpredicatable shifts in tempo within the songs, and Kirk's solos that literally seem to come out of nowhere. Yet, James seems to be having the time of his life "singing" the lyrics as he did from 96-00. I really like what I hear and didn't think they were capable of something this good. After St. Anger I thought they were washed up."<<

Completely agree. On 09-18 I drilled a hole in my skull and began pouring Death Magnetic in. Melodically complex & layered, non-overly-repeatative lyrics, a ton of energy, just: wow. I thought the MOP ~ AJFA hard driving edge was gone forever. Has Rick Rubin produced anything poorly? Metallica is back and back huge. THANK YOU !!!

I've been told (I haven't heard it first-hand) that the CD has been recorded (or mixed) "too loud" and that the songs are getting clipped. Is this true? Can anyone vouch for it? Has anyone purchased the vinyl version and can talk about the quality there (comparing it to the digital versions)?

I've been told (I haven't heard it first-hand) that the CD has been recorded (or mixed) "too loud" and that the songs are getting clipped. Is this true? Can anyone vouch for it? Has anyone purchased the vinyl version and can talk about the quality there (comparing it to the digital versions)?

It is very true.

The download I got sounds ok...better than the CD.

I also have it downloaded for GH3. That one sounds amazing.

That's what I was getting at in my post above. I read the same thing about a week ago, and didn't realize it until I played the CD at home, as opposed to in the car where the road noise covered up the "noise" on the CD. What I can hear is that the CD isn't crisp, and it sounds slightly distorted in the "audio details" of the instruments. I also noticed that the bass guitar is barely heard.

It is very true.

The download I got sounds ok...better than the CD.

I also have it downloaded for GH3. That one sounds amazing.

The Mp3 downolad from Mission Metallica sounds OK on my PC's speakers. the CD sounds pretty good on my car's stereo. I noticed some distortion on The Day That Never Comes and the kick drums tend to have a 'clicky' sound on some songs... The lack of bass isn't noticeable on my car's stereo and I've read that fiddling a little with a stereo's EQ brings the bass up rather noticeably.

The record's a freaking good one!