GM Recalls 106,000 SUVs

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors (NYSE:GM - news) said on Friday that it was recalling nearly 106,000 sport utility vehicles in the United States and Canada to fix a rear door latch that may not close properly due to corrosion. Alan Adler, a spokesman for the world's largest automaker, said the 105,893 vehicles affected by the potential safety defect included Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT and GMC Envoy XL SUVs from the 2002-2003 model years. He said one alleged injury had been caused by the faulty door latch. A small number of 2003 model Isuzu Ascender SUVs are also affected, Adler said. GM builds the Ascender for Isuzu Motors Ltd. (7202.T). A total of about 98,000 of the recalled vehicles were registered or sold in Northeast and Midwest U.S. states, where corrosion can occur due to winter road salt. An estimated 7,893 vehicles sold in eastern Canada are also affected, Adler said.

Its a safety issue, and a pretty serious one.  GM's fault, not the media's.  And a quick search of nseveral news site show that this is, so far, not on any front page anywhere.

[post="35719"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I never said anything about the media... I was actually refering to GM and their apparent inability to get the details right.

And yes, again, as in the GMT360s have been recalled AGAIN and as in, yet another GM recall.

And yes, you'd better believe the media will be all over this by tomorrow.

:angry: I like how everyone yells about the auto manufacturer, I don't care if it's the big 2.5 or an import. Why don't they say the name of the actual supplier of the faulty part? The tier 1 and down are the ones who are making the part that does not meet the specs of their customers. Obviously in this recall the corrosion resistance of the latch was not met. Who made the part and why did it fail?

:angry: I like how everyone yells about the auto manufacturer, I don't care if it's the big 2.5 or an import.  Why don't they say the name of the actual supplier of the faulty part?  The tier 1 and down are the ones who are making the part that does not meet the specs of their customers.  Obviously in this recall the corrosion resistance of the latch was not met.  Who made the part and why did it fail?

[post="35739"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I have been thinking for a while. Why is it GM's fault if they did not actually make the part?

....and you actually think that the car companies do the actual design of a part like a door latch?  There are a lot of people on these forums who really don't understand the car business.

I assume a supplier did the design...

GM paid the supplier and would have (hopefully) approved the design bfore putting it into thousands of vehicles. I can design a tailgate latch and be the lowest bidder, I would hope GM would see that I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to tailgate latches.