Headlight trivia

What were the last models in the US market to be offered with traditional sealed-beam round headlights (single or dual)? By manufacturer? I can think of a few, but am not 100% certain.

I am likely wrong, but the Datsun 280ZX had them until 1983, along with a few low-end Chevy fullsize vans. Since the 280ZXs were still wildly popular when they started making 300ZXs, I would lean towards them being last.

Most cars went square by 1978, so these were serious holdouts. I imagine the Corvette still used rounds in 1981, as did the 1981 Camaros.

Anything else would be IMHO, a niche car... I suppose some European exotics used them until the '90s. A lot of the exotics with concealed headlamps didn't bother to switch to square until a major model overhaul occurred.

Porsches had round headlamps until the early nineties flush mounts, but the late '80s where not traditional round sealed-beams... I'm not sure when they changed.

Stephen

For Ford, I think it was the Lincoln Mark VI, which had hidden quad round lights through '83...and ironically, was replaced with the Mark VII, which was the first US car with flush composite style lights, IIRC.

I think the last from Chrysler may have been the '81-83 Imperial, which had hidden round lights...not sure, though, haven't seen one with the lights exposed in 20+ years...I think the '79-81 New Yorker had hidden round lights..

For GM, the '82 Corvette was probably the last.

The 280ZX sounds right, I think the RX-7 had pop-up round lights through it's first gen, which ended in '85...2nd gen went to rectangular popups, I think.

At some point in the '80s, BMW switched from regular round sealed beam to composites , not sure when...

The Merc SL kept round sealed beam through '89 in the US, IIRC.

Porsches had round headlamps until the early nineties flush mounts, but the late '80s where not traditional round sealed-beams... I'm not sure when they changed.

Good point on the Porsche. I think they had sealed beam headlights until the restyling in 1989, which would mean that 1988 911s would have sealed beam. I can think that the 1985 Jeep CJ7 still had them before the Wrangler was introduced. I'm not sure what year the BMW 6-Series and 7-Series changed, but they had the traditional "style" headlights through 1989 (although they were probably not sealed beam in later years). Some BMW 3-Series may have had sealed beam headlights through 1991 (possibly 1992 on convertibles).

Oh! It just hit me! For "mass market" cars, the 2001 (old) Mini had sealed beam headlights!

But the Morgan 4/4 STILL has round sealed beam headlights.

For Ford, I think it was the Lincoln Mark VI, which had hidden quad round lights through '83

The Mark VI had round headlights, but they were dual, not quad.

I think the last from Chrysler may have been the '81-83 Imperial, which had hidden round lights...not sure, though

They were actually quad rectangular headlights.

Dodge Shadows had them until 1889.

Shadows? In 1889?

The Dodge Shadow had rectangular sealed beam headlights, not round.

They were actually quad rectangular headlights.

Shadows? In 1889?

The Dodge Shadow had rectangular sealed beam headlights, not round.

Oh sorry, I didn't see the "round" part of the trivia. My bad!

Edited by Dodgefan

I'm pretty sure there were 4 of 'em... what started the thought for this thread is that I saw one of these in a movie last night and it got me thinking..

Oh! It just hit me! For "mass market" cars, the 2001 (old) Mini had sealed beam headlights!

But the Morgan 4/4 STILL has round sealed beam headlights.

True, but neither of those were sold in the US. The Jag XJ-S and XJ sedans had round lights throughout the '80s in the US also, IIRC.

Mercedes SL(380/420/500) has round sealed beam untill 1988.... IIRC

Peterbilt 379s & Kennworth W900s also kept round sealed beams into the mid 1980s...

Also CJ 7's had them before they became the Wrangler. VW Rabbit's, and yes the Mar VI's had them as well. Jaguar's from the 80's as well, at least until the boxier designs came out for the XJS and XJ8 came out ( not sure the exact model years) I'm thinking around 1990 or so.

Edit: I didnt see Moltar's post regarding the Jag's, so yeah I guess add them to the list...lol.

Edited by Delta Force79

Guest aatbloke
Also CJ 7's had them before they became the Wrangler. VW Rabbit's, and yes the Mar VI's had them as well. Jaguar's from the 80's as well, at least until the boxier designs came out for the XJS and XJ8 came out ( not sure the exact model years) I'm thinking around 1990 or so.

Edit: I didnt see Moltar's post regarding the Jag's, so yeah I guess add them to the list...lol.

In markets outside of North America, the XJ-S was fitted with flush composite headlights since its original launch in 1975. The flush headlights on the 1986 XJ40 incorporated a different design specific to North American lighting requirements.

I'm going to guess that sealed beams of any shape died with pop-up headlights.

Chevrolet Express work vans still use sealed beam lights, as do a number of other commercial vehicles.

Except that sealed beam headlights are still in use today. Some bigger trucks

In markets outside of North America, the XJ-S was fitted with flush composite headlights since its original launch in 1975. The flush headlights on the 1986 XJ40 incorporated a different design specific to North American lighting requirements.

The XJ40 in the US had sealed beam headlights until about 1990.

At some point, there was a refresh of the XJ-S and the NA version started using the flush headlights...around 1990 or so until it's end..

• 1 month later...