A Couple of Opels

I like this Opel Diplomat 5.4 coupe..only 347 built between '65 and '67.

1965%20Opel%20Diplomat%205.4%20Coupe%20f

1965%20Opel%20Diplomat%205.4%20Coupe.jpg

Apparently about the size of an A-body of that era.

Never saw that before either....I may have to study up on Opel I think.

That one has a hint of Chevy in the profile?

Never saw that before either....I may have to study up on Opel I think.

That one has a hint of Chevy in the profile?

Yes...it reminds me of a '65 Malibu (the front end shape) w/ a '63-67 Grand Prix-like roofline. The dash has a very mid '60s Buick look.

I was vaguely aware of this car, saw a magazine article on a white one a few years ago. Here's the article I got the pics from. Has a Chevy 327.

Opel Diplomat coupe

1965%20Opel%20Diplomat%205.4%20Coupe%20I

I've always been a big fan of the Manta, even to the point where I would buy one to restore. I think the qualities it presents as a classic car are compelling:

Manta.jpg

db_02-Manta_70_Opel1.jpg

Of course, I like the GT as well, but so does everyone else. :P

I like those as well. Very clean design. Nice little coupe.

Except the Capri had an optional V6, which the Manta lacked. With Mercury turning into the American "Ford of Europe", I'd love to see a modern Capri here in the U.S., based on the Focus platform with a snappy EcoBoost motor.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the Manta a T-body? I see some Chevette in the windshield shape.. the Manta was like a European Vega GT, IMHO.

There was a sharp 2nd gen Manta that had a front kind of like the US Monza 2+2, but it was never sold in the US.

Edited by moltar

I believe you're right, moltie. The Manta was a T-body, based on their Kadett, IIRC. Which brings to mind an American T-body that almost made it to production: the Chevette SS, with 2.8L V6 power, cowl induction hood, stripe package, the whole nine yards. It was featured in Motor Trend, but sadly never made it to dealer lots.

It shows that there used to be a distinct American design esthetic.

It's not always easy to describe, but when I see it I know it. There was a certain horizontal and linear look to it.

Looks like54 then 56 then maybe 67 like a Chevy II love it !! My brother an opel GT manta like in the 80s

I think they were selling them here thru GM dealers super light and revved high fun. bright yellow wblack stripeage..

Edited by mightymouse