Future Buicks ( ! )

wildcat

A sales consultant at a GM dealer in Canada has posted to another website that Bob Lutz appeared at Canada's annual dealer conference today and brought along some future Buicks ( ! ). One was the LaCrosse/Allure. The second was a Buick Regal, based off, as you may have read reports, the Opel Insignia. (There were some spy shots taken in China and shown elsewhere on that website.) The third was the Riviera Concept and, according to this sales consultant, the Riviera is "a go!" He suspects that it will be built in Oshawa. If this information is accurate, it's wonderful news for present and future Buick owners!

A sales consultant at a GM dealer in Canada has posted to another website that Bob Lutz appeared at Canada's annual dealer conference today and brought along some future Buicks ( ! ). One was the LaCrosse/Allure. The second was a Buick Regal, based off, as you may have read reports, the Opel Insignia. (There were some spy shots taken in China and shown elsewhere on that website.) The third was the Riviera Concept and, according to this sales consultant, the Riviera is "a go!" He suspects that it will be built in Oshawa. If this information is accurate, it's wonderful news for present and future Buick owners!

:confused0071::bs::rolleyes::lol:

I :mr-t: the fool , who says Zeta is alive.

Edited by Toyota.vs.GM

If it were up to me, Buick's lineup would be the Regal (Insignia, SWB Epsilon II), LaCrosse (LWB Epsilon II), Riviera (Alpha), and Enclave. Let Pontiac have the Delta II.

I'm not sure I'd give Alpha to Buick. Just as much as I think Pontaic should be all RWD, I think Buick should be all FWD or AWD and I don't think teh Riviera is the right car to do AWD on.

How about something like this:

Saturn could be combined with Buick to create the midmarket premium dealer network that serves as a bridge between Chevrolet/Pontiac/GMC and Saab/Cadillac. To save ground up development costs, Euro Opel products would be rebadged and built in North America to supply most of the products for this dealer network. Buick would take the lead as the volume division in this network since it has the most premium image of the 2 brands, excellent quality/reliability survey scores, and a high profile in China (the Opel/Buick relationship in China could mirror the Saturn/Buick relationship in North America). Saturn would carry small hatchbacks and MPVs and serve as sort of an entry level small vehicle sub-brand in the dealer network. Buick would carry the sedans, coupes, wagons, and crossovers to reinforce its image as the higher volume premium division in this network.

The lineups would look something like this:

SATURN:

* Mantra: FWD compact hybrid 5-door based on the Flextreme Concept (E-flex)

* Corsa: Rebadged next gen Opel Corsa subcompact 3-door/5-door (Gamma)

* Astra: Rebadged next gen Opel Astra compact 3-door/5-door (Delta)

* Meriva: Rebadged next gen Opel Meriva subcompact MPV (Gamma)

* Zafira: Rebadged next gen Opel Zafira compact MPV (Delta)

BUICK:

* Cielo: Rebadged next gen Opel Tigra "TwinTop" roadster (Gamma)

* Skylark: Rebadged next gen Opel Astra "TwinTop" coupe (Delta)

* Regal: Rebadged next gen Opel Astra compact sedan/wagon (Delta)

* Invicta: Rebadged Opel Insignia midsize 4-door coupe/wagon (SWB Epsilon)

* LeSabre: Upcoming Epsilon based LaCrosse midsize sedan replacement (LWB Epsilon)

* Riviera: RWD 2+2 coupe based on the Riviera Concept (Alpha)

* Rendezvous: Rebadged next gen Opel Antara compact crossover (SWB Theta)

* Enclave: FWD/AWD large crossover (Lambda)

I favored Buick because I believe the brand still has more of a premium perception in the market and would require less effort to be believable and accepted in this role. The LeSabre, Riviera, and Enclave would be the only 3 models that require ground up development money from GM. All the rest of the products would be rebadged Euro Opels that would be altered to be market appropriate in North America.

To allow GM to create the Buick/Saturn midmarket premium division described above, this is my suggestion for Pontiac/GMC:

GM should combine Pontiac/GMC with Chevrolet. Pontiac would get an Alpha based 5-door compact sedan (based on the Holden Torana TT 36 Concept) and a Sigma-Zeta based midsize sedan (downsized next gen Holden Commodore) plus the Camaro and Corvette; this would position Pontiac as an affordable performance sub-brand of Chevrolet. GMC would be designated as the corporation's sole truck/SUV division. Chevrolet would become the mainstream volume brand with a lineup consisting of affordable FWD cars and FWD/AWD crossovers.

Edited by cire

To allow GM to create the Buick/Saturn midmarket premium division described above, this is my suggestion for Pontiac/GMC:

GM should combine Pontiac/GMC with Chevrolet. Pontiac would get an Alpha based 5-door compact sedan (based on the Holden Torana TT 36 Concept) and a Sigma-Zeta based midsize sedan (downsized next gen Holden Commodore) plus the Camaro and Corvette; this would position Pontiac as an affordable performance sub-brand of Chevrolet. GMC would be designated as the corporation's sole truck/SUV division. Chevrolet would become the mainstream volume brand with a lineup consisting of affordable FWD cars and FWD/AWD crossovers.

i don't see that happening... unless it's after gm has immense trouble or comes back strong and another bad spot hits the industry.

it's only been 2? years since BPG has been formed.... way to quick if it didn't have to happen, and brands had to be saved.

I'm not sure I'd give Alpha to Buick. Just as much as I think Pontaic should be all RWD, I think Buick should be all FWD or AWD and I don't think teh Riviera is the right car to do AWD on.

I think you fellows need to resign yourself to Pontiac's future being small cars like the G3, G5, and Vibe. Otherwise, you will be constantly frustrated. When the G8 and Solstice run their course, I think Pontiac's peformance history will be dead.

I think you fellows need to resign yourself to Pontiac's future being small cars like the G3, G5, and Vibe. Otherwise, you will be constantly frustrated. When the G8 and Solstice run their course, I think Pontiac's peformance history will be dead.

I could see GM making Pontiac into a compact and smaller car division while Buick focused on midsize and larger cars. What I refuse to accept are the rebadged Chevy clones. If Pontiac is going to be reduced to this role, GM could at least give the brand something more unique than a Chevy with a Pontiac nose. Platform sharing is fine, but the blatant rebadges are not acceptable.

I still think that GM should reconsider transforming Saturn into a full scale division. I know this will never happen, but I think it should be reduced back to sub-brand status and combined with Pontiac and Buick (and GMC?). Opel products could be split between the 3 brands with some brand specific products added to complete the lineups. Saturn could focus on small hatchbacks and MPVs. Pontiac could focus on coupes and coupe-cabrios. Buick would offer sedans, wagons, and crossovers. GMC would revert back to trucks and SUVs only. I know this plan is a little different from what I previously posted. It's just another option that GM could follow to reduce overlap and avoid giving Pontiac twin-nostrilized Chevys. Before anyone says it, I already know that it will never happen. GM would rather waste Pontiac's potential by giving it rebadged Chevy clones instead. Oh well...

Edited by cire