cire

GM's RWD Programs & Federal Loans

45 posts in this topic

I found this article on Motor Authority this morning. I don't know how much of it is based on fact or just speculating and wishful thinking.

undefined

Source: Motor Authority

Here's the link to the GM Inside News article that was referred to in the Motor Authority article:

undefined

Source: GM Inside News

I was always under the impression that RWD was axed for "fuel economy concerns" (not that there are any), and was not aware that work on Alpha had ever stopped. If they can end up doing all that on Alpha, even if it ends up costing a fair amount, it'll be made up given the volume of vehicles worldwide for the various brands that can come off of it.

Waitaminit - there I go being logical again....sorry. Only Caddy, Chevy, and Buick really need it. Screw everyone else.

Not including Holden and Pontiac in any plans for Alpha would simply be moronic.

In fact, those two brands should be Alpha's core.

Buick is just about the silliest place to apply Alpha imaginable.

I found this article on Motor Authority this morning. I don't know how much of it is based on fact or just speculating and wishful thinking.

undefined

Source: Motor Authority

Do you really think that GM is going to use that money to further RWD hopes, when it needs that money to just run day to day operations? Come on get real! :confused0071:

Do you really think that GM is going to use that money to further RWD hopes, when it needs that money to just run day to day operations? Come on get real! :confused0071:

They will just spend it on developing more boring FWD models for the mass market. Boring, but that is where the profit potential is.

They will just spend it on developing more boring FWD models for the mass market. Boring, but that is where the profit potential is.

Yeah.... cause 20 years of trying to build a better

Toyota/Honda has worked well thus far. :angry:

It may have if they had actually managed to build a better Honda/Toyota.

Not including Holden and Pontiac in any plans for Alpha would simply be moronic.

Well, that is typical GM logic...

"Umm, we need a lot of programs on this platform" and in the same breath; "Holden and Pontiac don't need RWD models."

I'm sure the Buick Riviera will be cool, but I doubt GM will have the focus and/or the $$$ to optimize sales of such a car. If money really is THAT much of a concern, then they should peddle the car as a Buick in China and put a new nose on it for Pontiac here.

I just don't see an affordable, performance minded Buick being able to sell here.

Yes.

Because the govenrment mandates that it do so.

The loans weren't given to the automakers to "keep the business running"

Well, that is typical GM logic...

"Umm, we need a lot of programs on this platform" and in the same breath; "Holden and Pontiac don't need RWD models."

I'm sure the Buick Riviera will be cool, but I doubt GM will have the focus and/or the $$$ to optimize sales of such a car. If money really is THAT much of a concern, then they should peddle the car as a Buick in China and put a new nose on it for Pontiac here.

I just don't see an affordable, performance minded Buick being able to sell here.

A problem with a RWD Riviera coupe is it would compete with the CTS coupe, at least in NA.

Yes.

Because the govenrment mandates that it do so.

The loans weren't given to the automakers to "keep the business running"

Not quite, the loans were approved by the House as part of a larger spending bill, and are intended to help the industry refurbish decades-old plants (plants GM didn't have the money to refurbish, so yeah, it is day to day operations the money is going to be used for) and develop advanced batteries and gas-electric hybrids.

:rotflmao:

Trying the same thing again and again expecting a different result.

I agree with you for the most part. I would love to see an Alpha based RWD production version of the recent Riviera Concept as a low volume halo product for Buick (although a FWD Eps II based version would be fine also). Other than that, Buick should remain FWD.

If GM is really going to put that much development effort into Alpha (which I'm highly skeptical about; I'll believe it when I see it), then I do agree with you that Pontiac and Holden should receive the bulk of the affordable products. Unfortunately, it seems that GM does not see it that way.

A problem with a RWD Riviera coupe is it would compete with the CTS coupe, at least in NA.

Two RWD coupes from a company as big as GM is too much? :huh:

At one point we had the elDorado, Riviera, Toronado, Monte Carlo, Chevelle,

Impala, Bonneville, coupe deVille, 98 Regency, Cutlass Supreme Brougham,

LeMans, Skylark and a whole bunch of other "personal luxury coupes" from

GM and they were all damn successful & profitable!

And at one point cars had a top speed of 45mph and rode on wooden wheels.

Two RWD coupes from a company as big as GM is too much? :huh:

At one point we had the elDorado, Riviera, Toronado, Monte Carlo, Chevelle,

Impala, Bonneville, coupe deVille, 98 Regency, Cutlass Supreme Brougham,

LeMans, Skylark and a whole bunch of other "personal luxury coupes" from

GM and they were all damn successful & profitable!

True..it's a different time and place, though... the coupe market is very small now, and it seems only the small and sporty, or muscle car type, or premium luxury brand models succeed.

And at one point cars had a top speed of 45mph and rode on wooden wheels.

And pussies rode bicycles or took the bus.

Some still do, but some drive Priu-asses.

And poor white trash drive whatever they can pick up for $300. Whats your point? Mine was that times change, technologies change, personal preferences change and markets change.

For someone who lives in a glass house... you sure do have a lot of rocks.

I may be an opinionated weirdo who likes to complain about modern society

but my piece of $hit Roadmaster does NOT make me white trash.

I would rather daily drive that POS & keep my B-59, which still needs a few

fixes before I drive it again, rather than have one boring car, that's neiter

white trashy or in any way related to the current automotive market.

Want to hear something funny? After driving the Prius, the LeSabre is almost unbearable. The Buick has no steering feel, a floaty, disconnected ride, and far less comfortable seats. It reminds me of how far the automotive world has come in 20 years. Even GM has come a long way, but not far enough, and thats why they're getting government loans.

We'll see how well the Prius drives down the road, if at all!? when it is 20 years old.

Most Toyotas are long crushed by then.

Even GM has come a long way, but not far enough, and thats why they're getting government loans.

Oh yes.... it has nothing to do with the fact that the Japanese are

favored by the media, GM's tremendous legacy costs, their refusal

to build American cars for American buyers, idiotic choices by

clueless management (killing Oldsmobile, starving Pontiac of product)

public ignorance/stupidity and anti-American sentiment from people

who enjoy seeing the destruction of this country.

We'll see how well the Prius drives down the road, if at all!? when it is 20 years old.

Who cares? In 20 years time, the Prius (probably on it's 6th gen by then) will probably be completely electric, no gas engine, and hyperefficient... hopefully, the Volt will be as well..

Satty's argument: most 20 year old beat up Buicks stink.

My argument: Most 20-yer old Toyotas don't EXIST, except as

stripped shells sitting in junkyards awaiting crushing and the

eventual recycling process.... into more crappy modern cars.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor