SEMA 2008: Hurst Hemi Challenger

Intrepidation

George Hurst's mission was to make hot rods for gentlemen. The new Hurst, in the body of the new Challenger, has carried on George's mission admirably. This particular blogger isn't wasn't even a Challenger fan, and then we laid eyes on the Hurst Hemi Challenger, and, like the Grinch, our heart grew three sizes. It's available in four levels, from a 5.7-liter HEMI Challenger to a fire-breathing 6.1-liter supercharged HEMI underneath a MOPAR hood. And when you get to those upper reaches, then you can avail yourself of that Hurst paint job and a car that will do those mammoth wheels justice. We were told the Stage 4 puts out 530 hp at the rear wheels. Which means the car will be waiting for you to it justice as well. Check out the gallery of high-res photos below, and see if your heart doesn't grow a bit as well.

Autoblog

04hur_hem_cha.jpg

07hur_hem_cha.jpg

24hur_hem_cha.jpg

19hur_hem_cha.jpg

I am drooling over the exterior treatment, it's the most beautiful special Challenger I've seen... but I am perplexed by the giant shifter, attached to an autotragic transmission. Yes, some Hurst/Olds (was the Hurst Grand Prix an auto, too?) were automatic, but in a pony car like the Challenger it seems a shame to back the Hemi with anything but a stout Hurst-shifted manual transmission.

I am drooling over the exterior treatment, it's the most beautiful special Challenger I've seen... but I am perplexed by the giant shifter, attached to an autotragic transmission. Yes, some Hurst/Olds (was the Hurst Grand Prix an auto, too?) were automatic, but in a pony car like the Challenger it seems a shame to back the Hemi with anything but a stout Hurst-shifted manual transmission.

It's a retro style shifter, styled like some of the ones in '70 vintage Mopies....and Mopies w/ the Hemis and 440s back then were usually always paired w/ automatics, more so than manuals.

Yeah, I know that moltie, and I've seen that kind of crazy automatic shifter in a few 60's cars, I guess I was just surprised.

Yes, lots of retro details on the concept Challengers, like the shaker hood scoops on some, and the Cuda-style billboard Hemi quarter panel decals...

>>"Mopars w/ the Hemis and 440s back then were usually always paired w/ automatics, more so than manuals."<<

Incorrect. Tho the breakout was pretty evenly balanced, the manuals were more common.

For '70, for instance, the Dodge & Plymouth Hemis cars ran :

689 4-speeds vs. 742 TorqueFlites.

Go back farther and the balance shifts to the 4-speed, '66 Hemi cars:

1569 4-speeds vs. 1133 TorqueFlites.

The 440 6-pack cars were much more often 4-spds vs. automatics.

-- -- -- -- --

I had the similar MoPar Pistol Grip shifter in my '73 Charger Rallye 440... actually the car was a 400 Magnum/A904 4-spd, but the previous owner swapped a 440 Magnum/TF727 in from a Police Cruiser.

I have all the breakout totals for year/ make/ model/ trans cars with the Hemi or the 440 3x2.

For instance- total '69-72 440 3x2 production : 13,843.

Total Hemi production: 10,697

Another stat from my files gives the very close tally; the Hemi / 4-speeds win with 52% over the Hemi/ TF.

Even a minority percentage of one of the the most brutal production cars ever --the Hemi Darts / Barracudas-- were equipped with TFs.