Somebody go through the pinned topics

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=26343

This is old news and should no longer be pinned.. There are plenty of other examples. Let's clean this place up. Or sell it to somebody who cares enough to maintain it.

Thank you,

Sal C.

I remember a time when C&G and GMI were running toe to toe.. It's painfully obvious who dropped the ball....

(I don't get two seconds to edit a post without a notation in my message?)

Edited by Sal Collaziano

I've contacted the owner and admins a few times but more often than not, I don't get replies. I see a lot of potential here but I honestly believe the people who ran this site so well in the past have lost interest. Maybe not all interest, but at least the portion needed for a site to be successful. There are so many things to be done here.... Somebody throw a number at me. If I have the money, I'll buy the site and do what needs to be done to make it competitive again. If I don't have the cash to buy it, than maybe somebody else will. At least give the domain the opportunity to regain its past glory...

I've contacted the owner and admins a few times but more often than not, I don't get replies. I see a lot of potential here but I honestly believe the people who ran this site so well in the past have lost interest. Maybe not all interest, but at least the portion needed for a site to be successful. There are so many things to be done here.... Somebody throw a number at me. If I have the money, I'll buy the site and do what needs to be done to make it competitive again. If I don't have the cash to buy it, than maybe somebody else will. At least give the domain the opportunity to regain its past glory...

Agreed. If you would do this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I will also put this out here that I am willing to donate my time again and be a moderator again...I have the time and passion to do it, and I swear there won't be any politically partisan moderating, or any other forms of "over moderating" from me. It's been several years, and while I would be more involved than many of the current mods are, it wouldn't be like before.

We have responded to your PMs and discussed having you buy the site, and told you we were not interested. Why do you care to make such a big stink out of it in the public forum. Walt is not going to sell the site. Simple as that.

We have responded to your PMs and discussed having you buy the site, and told you we were not interested. Why do you care to make such a big stink out of it in the public forum. Walt is not going to sell the site. Simple as that.

Well, with all due respect, things have definitely slowed to a crawl since around the time Fly left, and while I want to stress that this isn't an indictment of any sorts, it pretty much is what happened.

I know you guys all have lives outside of the site, and having been in your shoes before I know how tedious it can be...but it is pretty disheartening to see so little in the way of news being posted, the front page being updated, and in general things (seemingly) not getting done like they used to be. I love this site and am certainly not going anywhere on my own volition, but I also remember how it used to be just a short time ago.

Now, if Sal is taking this public after previously being rebuffed by Walt, that isn't cool and I was not aware of it. I just assumed he was making the offer as a followup to his previous posts.

Anyway, my offer still stands, and will be an open offer if you guys ever need any additional help.

While I will not go to an extent of calling it being doomed, the traffic has definitely slowed down. The level of intensity and information has gone down. Less posts are seen as time goes by. There used to be time when I was gone for 24 hours the "View New Post" used to have 6-7 pages to see and read. Many a times now it is hardly a page long.

The political discussion went a little bit overboard, but hey it was one of the most important election and I am glad that sanctity is now prevailing.

I want best of :CG_all: and like my conversations with Fly, I would like to reiterate that I am ready to help in anyways (except for being a moderator - I do not have time for that).

Everyone on staff is painfully aware of our current situation.

Have patience, we are working on a number of changes as quickly as we can.

Fly devoted an insane amount of time into the site until he could no longer do so - for whatever reason. That left a huge hole in things that we have yet to stitch back together.

In the meantime, it would be very helpful if those with the time would post any news that they come across.

I hear ya. I think it's been a couple of years since this place really thrived with conversation. Just know that at this point in the game, only a good marketing plan attached to a healthy budget will bring success. Gone is the time where you "build it and they will come" on the Internet. Prove me wrong, and I will be as happy as you would be. Let's see where we are in one year from now. Hopefully, not yet another year behind...

I think the site is fantastic the way it is, tons of us at work on here regularly. Certain people need to step off. I've never had a problem on here ever. :neenerneener:

+1

Sixty-Six

I already post any news I find. :P I can help with other things if needed...like the design competitions since NOS disappeared for example.

I've noticed this and I appreciate it...

Chris

I already post any news I find. :P I can help with other things if needed...like the design competitions since NOS disappeared for example.

And it is much appreciated!

Quite a few of the folks we always depended on to do various things no longer do them. That's not to complain, things change for people and they drift away - it's the nature of the beast.

The challenge we now face is to get someone who has the time to fill some of those roles.

I have been proposing quite a few new ideas in the Mod Forum and we are all discussing things, so I would ask everyone to be patient and hang in there.

Meantime, post up if you have an idea or are in a position to help in some way - I, for one, am interested in everyone's thoughts about C&G's future.

Feel free to PM me if you feel the need.

I always respond.

I do not want it to go the commercial way. That does bring revenue but also brings onus and greater restrictions. The four things I will certainly concentrate on:

1. Increasing the depth and breadth of the news that have been lacking recent times after Fly and the guy who put monthly sales ticker left. Attrition and accrual of members are part and parcel of life. But filling those voids is very important, and that is where we have not kept the pace. Even the number of spy pics that Chris was posting went down. I understand it may be monetorial issue, but like I mentioned before, I may contribute some to give us some uniqueness and one-upmanship compared to other sites.

2. Curb more of those political thoughts. The months from August through November 4th lost much needed nerves. More than few nerves were vexed, and friends who were before have seen some tension ever since.

3. If moderators feel they are being taxed, please let others know and find viable ones. You guys do a tremendous job, but there is nothing wrong to accept and tell someone to take over even if it is for a while.

4. Renew some of our programs like chopping, sketching and those RWD mafia trivias. They might be difficult to maintain but they were tremendous fun.

Thanks

M

Exactly. We need this forum to refocus on design and actual automobiles. and while I enjoyed the political discussion, methinks going back to the no politics rule might not be a bad idea!

Chris

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=26343

This is old news and should no longer be pinned.. There are plenty of other examples. Let's clean this place up. Or sell it to somebody who cares enough to maintain it.

Thank you,

Sal C.

I went and did the pins on Nov 17. At that time, the topic you posted was still relevant.

Some of the previous ones (I unpinned) dated back a year (!!!).

I agree that some have become out of date again.

The auto industry moves FAST!

EDIT: It is unpinned now, and I will review other pinned topics.

EDIT2: Pinned topics updated.

I don't think going commercial necessarily means greater restrictions. Can you explain your thoughts on that? Otherwise, I agree with everything you said. I think this could be a good start to a turnaround. I still believe we need a major marketing campaign because as you mentioned, we need to focus on gaining new members. People come and go - but if more are leaving than signing up, that makes for a very grim future...

A marketing budget will bring on more members - which will bring on more activity - which will, in turn, bring on even more members. The busier this place is, the more likely people are to sign up. Even if only to reply to a discussion and get their opinion heard (or seen).

I do not want it to go the commercial way. That does bring revenue but also brings onus and greater restrictions. The four things I will certainly concentrate on:

1. Increasing the depth and breadth of the news that have been lacking recent times after Fly and the guy who put monthly sales ticker left. Attrition and accrual of members are part and parcel of life. But filling those voids is very important, and that is where we have not kept the pace. Even the number of spy pics that Chris was posting went down. I understand it may be monetorial issue, but like I mentioned before, I may contribute some to give us some uniqueness and one-upmanship compared to other sites.

2. Curb more of those political thoughts. The months from August through November 4th lost much needed nerves. More than few nerves were vexed, and friends who were before have seen some tension ever since.

3. If moderators feel they are being taxed, please let others know and find viable ones. You guys do a tremendous job, but there is nothing wrong to accept and tell someone to take over even if it is for a while.

4. Renew some of our programs like chopping, sketching and those RWD mafia trivias. They might be difficult to maintain but they were tremendous fun.

Thanks

M

Maybe you're not looking. I see it all the time..

All due respect but in the circles I move in the only forums that advertise for new members are the ones who charge for a membership in some way... Unless of course the forum is new and is basically an ofshoot of another one. Kimura is right.

I actually don't see ANY forums charging for memberships. Memberships are free UNLESS you choose to pay for added options. However, to browse the forum and post/reply, etcetera - which is WHAT forums are for - there is no charge. The forums I'm talking about who are advertising for new members DO NOT charge for memberships. In fact, the ones I'm specifically referring to don't even have the OPTION to pay if you wanted to....

Edited by Sal Collaziano

Camino, Ted, et al...I am willing to do whatever ya'll need to help out around here. Personally I love the place, and actually love all of the guys (and GM partsgirl) here.

Chris

Look. Guys. I'm handing you a recipe for success. If you don't want to even consider the possibility that I'm right, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I like this place and would like to see it succeed whether I own it or not. Obviously, I don't own it - and I'm still sticking around offering advice. Take it, or leave it. I run several very successful forums and I've been doing so since the mid 80s (yes, before the internet as we know it). I'm not some flyby night moron who doesn't have a clue. You can choose to be offended by my suggestions and/or somehow take them personally in a bad way. That's your prerogative. I'll go away and leave the ball in your court... I'll come back to this next year when this forum is a roaring success....

Not trying to offend you, I am trying to work within the system. right now we have about 20 people who post here regularly and it is fairly intelligent, at least compared to the Mustang forums or Scion forums or whatever.

They aren't going to sell the site, and the site won't get updated as regularly as it has for awhile. However, I trust the judement of the moderators and posters here...and want ot work within the system.

If you have other ideas other than going commercial or selling the site...let's hear them!

Chris