Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

How good are Pep Boys....

Aye, Coopers are supposedly very underrated.

Up here Fountain Tire (Goodyear and Dunlop) has a 4 for 3 sale every fall, we took the opportunity to get the Tripletreds for the Cav and G5 during these sales, and we're hoping there's something similar this spring because the Bridgestone Insignias the Malibu came with are finally wearing out around 32K miles. I'm thinking that I'm going to keep the GY Integrities on my Impala though because the treadwear, traction and rolling resistance were pretty optimal on my dad's Impala so far.

• 1 month later...
Aye, Coopers are supposedly very underrated.

Up here Fountain Tire (Goodyear and Dunlop) has a 4 for 3 sale every fall, we took the opportunity to get the Tripletreds for the Cav and G5 during these sales, and we're hoping there's something similar this spring because the Bridgestone Insignias the Malibu came with are finally wearing out around 32K miles. I'm thinking that I'm going to keep the GY Integrities on my Impala though because the treadwear, traction and rolling resistance were pretty optimal on my dad's Impala so far.

TripleTreds rock. Granted, they don't handle like GT-As, but they handle pretty good for all season tires... and seem to stick to wet or frozen pavement like glue. Plus I've gotten 90-110K out of a couple tires, so ensure you have a good wheel alignment... you don't want to screw them up, as you could have them for a LONG time.

I have friends that swear by Coopers, but I have my doubts with the Pep Boy's Futuras. the ones I used to buy years ago didn't like to stick to the road too well, and I barely got 30K out of them.

Of course, Pep Boy's service bay seems to be eternally clogged... if you want same-day service, you have to be there at the crack of dawn. Good Year always got me in and out of the door fast... but they were not very good at getting the tires to seal to my rims, so I buy my TripleTreds elsewhere now.

I put a set of Futuras on my Bronco II back in '99, the previous Goodyears were worn out and I was planning on selling it within a year, so I wanted something cheap.

As far as tires go, I've been very happy with Goodyears--the factory Wranglers on my GC lasted 48k miles..I replaced them with a set of Dunlop Radial Rovers, they only lasted 35k miles. I have a set of Goodyear Fortera GTriple Treds on there now, $750 for a set of 4 installed, but they are extremely good in the kind of rain/snow/slop we get in the Denver area and in the mountains....of course, this winter in Phoenix, they didn't get much of a work out.

I've taken a liking to Michelins also...my sister's 2 Mercedes that I've been driving a lot lately have Pilots, very quiet, good in rain.

I loved my Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's...but I can't justify spending $1500 for a set of tires right now. I went with General Exclaim UHP's this time around for about half was the PS2's ran. These will last a bit longer and from what I understand they are a very underrated performance tire...or at least touted as one of the best bang for your buck performance tires available, so I'm happy...Can't wait to get them on tomorrow...Mostly because my car has been sitting on jack stands since September.

You know, for all the harping that Goodyear gets, their tires seem to hold up pretty well...

Even the Goodyear Conuests on the Cav are still holding up well for almost 50k.

My Neighbor has the Goodyear Vivas (from wallyworld) on her 99 Sunfire and they still look good for almost 10k on them...

I got mobil 1 10w-30 for my "Buick 3800" for 35.00 for a case at costco.

I don't have a Costco nearby. So it's "Sam's Best" oil at Walmart. 400K on three cars (with 600K on them presently) with a change every 50K or so.

Motor oil is motor oil. ;-)

I don't see how PepBoys stays in business. The two in my area are swamped by Advanced Auto and Autozone, who have better prices, counterpeople and three times the locations. PepBoys must make all their money in the service bay... the most hardcore technical items available in the store seem to be bright blue headlights.

I got mobil 1 10w-30 for my "Buick 3800" for 35.00 for a case at costco.

Really? I need to check costco again because last time I did they didn't carry Mobil 1. It is around 60 bucks for 8 quarts of it at Pep Boys.

Really? I need to check costco again because last time I did they didn't carry Mobil 1. It is around 60 bucks for 8 quarts of it at Pep Boys.

Every Costco carries different products because the store buyers are different. They had Castrol Syntec as well in my store. Also, Delo and Chevron Supreme.

Pep Boys is devolving in their selling of electric mini-bikes and such garbage. Sad to see it.

They were once kept honest when they were in competition with a local chain known as Penn-Jersey in Southeastern Pennsylvania. That was perhaps twenty or thirty years ago.

That being said a behind-the-counter tech once saved my bacon on a Sunday afternoon at 5:45 (15 minutes prior to closing) in spinning-off the alternator pulley on my '87 Fiero GT. Completely saved the day for me as the nut was rounded over.

Pep Boys is devolving in their selling of electric mini-bikes and such garbage. Sad to see it.

They were once kept honest when they were in competition with a local chain known as Penn-Jersey in Southeastern Pennsylvania. That was perhaps twenty or thirty years ago.

That being said a behind-the-counter tech once saved my bacon on a Sunday afternoon at 5:45 (15 minutes prior to closing) in spinning-off the alternator pulley on my '87 Fiero GT. Completely saved the day for me as the nut was rounded over.

It would be cool if they still did that...