Detroit 2009: Fisker Karma S Concept

Just after showing off the the production intent version of the Karma plug-in hybrid sport sedan, designer Henrik Fisker had his models pull the cover off a new concept: the Karma S. The Karma S takes the drivetrain and platform and loses two doors and the roof. The Sunset has a retractable hardtop over its four seats and, as usual in such configurations, the rear seating area loses out. Thankfully, the top folds into fairly compact pieces, so the Karma S doesn't suffer from long deck syndrome. Under the hood sits a GM 2.0L turbocharged and direct-injected EcoTec four-cylinder with 260 hp driving a generator to keep the car going after its 50-mile battery range has been depleted. Out back a pair of electric motors drive the rear wheels with 400 hp courtesy of the lithium-ion battery. If Fisker lasts long enough, the Karma S should be out in 2011. Video of the live reveal is available after the jump.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/12/detroit...oncept-w-video/

sunsetconceptoff1.jpg

sunsetconceptoff2.jpg

sunsetconceptoff3.jpg

DROOL. I love it. I love the Karma sedan from the pics I've seen of it, and now this... great shape, great proportions, great detailing. Haven't seen anything about pricing, though..probably pretty $$$... :(

Edited by moltar

This is gorgeous! Someone, please PM me about Karma--I've never heard of them before.

Here's the Wikipedia article about Fisker Automotive. The Karma 4dr concept was shown at NAIAS 2008.

Fisker

Still in development, with a Quantum drive system (hybrid), and going to be assembled by Valmet in Finland, which assembled the Boxster for years, IIRC.

From the pics: Not digging it. The diamond-shaped holes seems tacked on/in for the hell of it; they play off of nothing else. A very harsh shape to incorporate. Same with the chrome 'bullet strike' on the door. The roofline/trim is sweet (tho a little high). Pity they felt it needed a rear bumper- more the property of family cars whereas sports cars usually have the latitude to dispense with it. Grille texture is interesting/different.

Now... is that one of those back-of-M/T-ad carpet dash covers, to hide the rips & tears ?? :wink:

Overall shape is so strongly Corvette, that if you cleaned up the holes, (from pics) it'd look like a mild rebody of one.

Looks pretty hot to me.

I'll take the fixed-roof lightweight version, please

Even if it "just" has a standard ICE drivetrain. :AH-HA_wink:

Would you take it even has a convertible hardtop? I myself am not normally a fan of hardtop convertibles because the roof always looks weird, but this looks just like a fixed roof coupe when the roof is up. It looks so right.

Balthazar, to me it has more of an Aston Martin shape to it than a Vette, but I can see how you could the connection.

I like the diamond shapes on the side of it.

I love this thing, I've even warmed up to the grill.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! I think it's super-hot, though Balthazar makes a few good

points HOWEVER, this ting is more unique and BOLDER than

a NON-Z06 Covette... it's wild & I'm loving the lack of restraint! :)