Cool Olds that never made to production

OSVs were hot and, damn, that Alero looks good. Sorry, but potential vehicles like these that never had the chance to see light of day is why I don't respect Saturn. Call it what you want, Saturn is attempting to be the new Olds and nothing can ever be what Oldsmobile was.

Posted Image

I remember seeing this and thinking:

Wow, I misjudged you GM... the Alero has some real potential. This is HOT!

From the windshield back the Alero vert looks like the Cavvy vert of the mid-90's.

[post="40655"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That was just a prototype, and if production, probably just a brief one. The Alero already reached the stage to be redesigned on Epsilon. I'm pretty sure they would be the one to get a hardtop convertible, not Pontiac. But again that assumes Olds is still in production.

Yeah, the Alero had a lot of potential. However, the fit and finish was sloppy. I used to use the Alero as an example of how not to build a car when I showed people how much better put together the Impala was. Again, GM let the car rot with few or no changes for 5 model years. They were decent looking, nice riding cars and a convertible would have sold well. Many of us had talked about that where I work. Ah, well...water under the bridge.

Yeah, the Alero had a lot of potential.  However, the fit and finish was sloppy.  I used to use the Alero as an example of how not to build a car when I showed people how much better put together the Impala was.  Again, GM let the car rot with few or no changes for 5 model years.  They were decent looking, nice riding cars and a convertible would have sold well.  Many of us had talked about that where I work.
  Ah, well...water under the bridge.

[post="40714"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Darn... you crushed one of my dream cars! Use the Grand Am! :lol:

Ah, well...water under the bridge.

[post="40714"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hope we're not saying the same thing about the remainder of B-O-P in a few years. :angry:

The Alero 'vert is nothing special IMHO. I don't see what makes it any more exciting than your typical Sebring. It does hint at the Cavalier droptop of the 90s. The OSVs, on the other hand...those were HOT. Talk about a missed opportunity. <_<

The Alero is fitted with a 3.5L Twin Cam Shortstar, and the Intrigue an Aurora V8. Correct me if I'm wrong.

[post="41005"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I believe you are right but with a catch! That one pictured I believe had the 'shortstar' but there was also a metalic red one that had a supercharged 2.4L (Post Quad4) motor. I had the opportunity to hear that car run and drive and it sounded quite good! :)

As for the convertible they also had at one time an Achieva convertible in the works - I have seen both of these in person as well and they BOTH could have been good sellers to replace the Cutlass droptops.... :)

But as someone else said - water under the bridge now.... :angry:

Does anyone know where I can find the specs on the OSV Intrigue? I have always been a fan of the Intrigue since I first saw it at the car show. And then I say the OSVs ................................................................................ ................................................................................. ................................................................................. ............................................ sorry got lightheaded and passed out thinking about it.

I liked the Alero better than the Grand Am, but that's like trying to say a Geo/Chevy Metro is a better car than a period Ford Festiva/Aspire of that time period. Intrigue especially had potential, and it sold very well, as did the Alero, but it suffered the same non-Malibu/Cutlass clone N-Body mistakes.