Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

It Can Be Buick!

InvictaMan

Here is a very quickie to show that the Chinese Regal can be easily modified to become a more NA version. The existing hip line can be used to form the sweep spear, making the change doors only. I chose to kick it up a bit, requiring the rear quarter to modify. We certainly could use this wagon here to fill a void. I also like the idea of naming it Invicta over here. Invicta Sports Tourer or Invicta Estate?

Regal Sports Tourer

Edited by InvictaMan

The Venza is actually a head turner on the road. I saw a white one with the 20" wheels a few weeks ago and was definitely impressed.

It was the first--and so far only--Toyota that I saw from afar at an autoshow, thought "Sweet, what's this? Who makes it? This thing looks gooooooooood!"

...and then promptly felt nauseous when I realized it was a Toyota. They didn't beat the damn thing with an ugly stick this time, though I highly doubt it drives as dynamically as it looks.

Seriously, what am I missing?

You are missing nothing. For once it would be nice for Buick to be on top of an emerging market. I agree on the Venza, it is attractive to me in style (I like the Buick version better) and function. Plus, the 4WD option on the EpII platform would make one Hell of a nice crossover. Gee, an SUV on a car chassis, how novel.

If Saturn is in fact dying, why not just give what would have been the NG Vue to Buick?

Why would Buick want a Theta when they could have the more refined EpII SWB Regal as both a smaller sedan and wagon? For very little retooling costs. Besides, Cadillac already has the SRX, wouldn't that be cannibalizing and badge engineering?

The Venza looks pretty good until you get to the front....or get inside.

I was a little put back by the grill and the obvious Ford undertones on the lights, but they have grown on me. It is the bustle back and the Acura TL front fender that is still bothering me. Generally, I like it and I like this category. A wagon with SUV traits. And I also think the interior is not so bad looking for its price point, stylish yet understated. Material choices are very Toyota. Buick could definitely feed on this market if they don't wait until the trend is over. The best part is you can market them like a car, like Toyota on their web site, and overcome the SUV stigma slumping sales. Besides, there are going to be a lot of disappointed MKT potential buyers out there; this and the Enclave could accommodate them, depending on the size and seating preference.

Edited by InvictaMan

I was a little put back by the grill and the obvious Ford undertones on the lights, but they have grown on me. It is the bustle back and the Acura TL front fender that is still bothering me. Generally, I like it. And I also think the interior is great for its price point, stylish yet understated. Material choices are very Toyota. Buick could definitely feed on this market if they don't wait until the trend is over. The best part is you can market them like a car, like Toyota on their web site, and overcome the SUV stigma slumping sales.

The interior is understated until you look at the center console. That's what makes it weird/ugly and that's what I don't like about it.

0801_06_1024x768%202009_toyota_venza%20i

I think they should sell the Insignia wagon here as a wagon; don't raise the height or make it into a crossover wannabe. If Buick is going to be aligned with Opel in the future, then what they really need is some kind of midsize MPV like people mover (essentially a Ford S-MAX competitor) on LWB Epsilon II to slot in between the next gen Zafira and the Enclave (since GMC is getting a LWB Theta crossover, there is no reason to develop one for Buick also). If a vehicle of this type was developed combining elements of the Enclave/Eps II LaCrosse with the Meriva Concept (although on a much larger scale than that concept of course), then the resulting vehicle would be one great looking product.

• 1 month later...

I agree that Buick needs a smaller sedan, but they also need products that set them apart in emerging markets. I said on this site ages ago that Buick needed an X6 competitor, a product that serves as a sedan and a crossover. Now with the advent of the Venza, ZDX and other similar products on their way, Buick is missing the boat. A crossover that looks like an upscale, four door coupe is a perfect addition to the Buick line-up. Better hurry, it's already too late.