Some disconcerting news...

Well about two weeks ago a very reliable source told me some bad news... all department supervisors in my high school have submitted the name of the person with the lowest seniority currently employed (in my department, business education, that would be ME). While nothing official yet - school board election & budget approval don't take place until April in NJ - word has spread that there will not be enough money to fund both supplies and teachers for next year. My source told me this so I don't waste any time trying to find another teaching job (good luck I say). Then today after our faculty meeting we have a meeting with the local union president. She tells us that right now the budget shortfall for 2009/2010 is projected at $4 million dollars. She proceeds to say that anyone that is not tenured or that is low-person with seniority needs to take some proactive measures now, while at the same time saying that "don't panic just yet". So I'm seeing the writing on the wall.. after 7 years in my school district, it is likely I won't be offered a new contract for 2009/2010. Not sure how likely it will be to find another business ed teaching position, since I know it's a dying field and one that isn't offering many jobs right now (and my license is only good for NJ).

So I know that buying a brand new car this year will be out of the question. And in the process of trying to lower outgoing cash, I'm thinking I may try to get out of my lease somehow around the end of May or beginning of June. I'll have to find an older, but decent condition used car that won't cost me so much in both payments and insurance... but what? I'd like to hear from the posters here on what I should be considering. I want something decent and reliable, and I know that getting it checked out by a mechanic first will be a must. All I can think of is cars such as the Buick Century or Oldsmobile Intrigue (2000-ish); the new CarSense dealership by me is showing on their website a 2003 Saturn LW300 (V6 engine) station wagon, loaded (leather, heated seats, chrome rims, dvd player, etc) with 21k original miles for $9995. Please feel free to post your opinion on this subject and offer your suggestions.

I am really sorry to hear this. The car part isn't as important as the job part. Can people get teaching certificates in adjacent areas (PA, NY) if they are willing to move...would you be happy in social sciences (the closest thing I can think of to business educ.)? It's going to be tough for many of us and I have friends who have lost jobs, have had to take pay cuts, have had to do weird "laterals," etc. etc. I'll hold good thougths for you.

I'd be wary of the L-Series if I were you.

Unfortunately, I have to +1 this. A later year L-Series should be ok, but get it with a 4cyl. The 3.0L V6 is known for a few issues, and being a pain to work on, so it could get a little pricey. The 4cyl is the 2.2L ecotec, tho, so it should be good.

Certainly a Buck Century or regal would be an option, you could consider a LH car with the 3.2 or 3.5, although I don't know if you're looking solely at GMs or not.

Whatever you go with I would try to get later model year versions because the general rule of thumb is that most of the problems have been taken care of.

Dude, Sorry to hear you might loose your job. I wish you all the best and leave you with a thought to think about.

Start your own company, Yup in this down economy, there are areas that have upside potential. Think about all the foreclosed homes, condo's, townhomes etc. Banks need to maintain these properties, you could start your own company very cheaply and go around cleaning them up, maintaining the landscaping etc for a fee. Good money in it when done right.

Good luck, I know everyone here is hoping that all ride out this economic storm with minimal heartache.