2001 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Ext Cab 4WD

So just chillin' at home today and surfin' the web... went over to Craigslist.com and played around looking at different vehicles for sale. I decided to see what GMCs were listed and found this one:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/1054584216.html

1GTGK29UX1Z256282_003_LG.jpg

It's a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Extended cab 4WD with 38,400 original miles for $12,900. Is this something I should look into? I'm questioning the 6.0L V8 and 2500 series - if it were a 1500 series with the 5.3L V8 I'd probably not be asking for any advice!! I don't really need a 2500 series, and the 6.0L V8 I think is overkill for my needs. However, for some reason I really like 2000-2002 GMC Sierras the best (maybe because I sold new 1999 & 2000 Sierras), and I love how this truck is equipped (SLT, upgraded polished rims, the two-tone white & pewter, etc). Is the 6.0L V8 too much for me? Are there any problem areas I should know with a 2500?

I figured if I have to buy used, I might as well buy something I like!! I just don't know if a 2500 series pickup is the right one for me. I'll appreciate advice and thoughts on this truck.

So just chillin' at home today and surfin' the web... went over to Craigslist.com and played around looking at different vehicles for sale. I decided to see what GMCs were listed and found this one:

It's a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Extended cab 4WD with 38,400 original miles for $12,900. Is this something I should look into? I'm questioning the 6.0L V8 and 2500 series - if it were a 1500 series with the 5.3L V8 I'd probably not be asking for any advice!! I don't really need a 2500 series, and the 6.0L V8 I think is overkill for my needs. However, for some reason I really like 2000-2002 GMC Sierras the best (maybe because I sold new 1999 & 2000 Sierras), and I love how this truck is equipped (SLT, upgraded polished rims, the two-tone white & pewter, etc). Is the 6.0L V8 too much for me? Are there any problem areas I should know with a 2500?

I figured if I have to buy used, I might as well buy something I like!! I just don't know if a 2500 series pickup is the right one for me. I'll appreciate advice and thoughts on this truck.

It's none of my business, but shouldn't you wait until you know if your contract will be renewed?

From what I remember reading, the 6.0 is a very thirsty engine. So much so that you might as well go for a 3500 with the 8.1L big block.

Beautiful truck, though, and very hard to say no to it. Maybe some aftermarket mods and/or a tune could bring the MPGs up.

To PCS & daves87rs: Well yes, that is definitely a factor to consider and one of the reasons why I've been looking at older, used vehicles. However, I can't help that one of the older, used vehicles I've found happens to be this beautiful GMC!! But I have taken that point into consideration, plus the fact that gas prices may rise again making fill-ups a painful experience. It would be great to know I had a contract at my job next year - it's a 14-mile roundtrip commute, so gas wouldn't be a big issue going back & forth there daily. Too bad I still have to wait two months to know "officially" :banghead:

As for it being a 2500 series, I know I don't need the capabilities that a 3/4 ton truck offers, but it is such a great looking, low mileage, and very well-optioned truck that it is hard to pass up. And everyone I know with a 3/4 truck (be it GMC, Chevy, Ford or Dodge) all say that these trucks are built to last since they are bought for work purposes. I'm wondering if they'd be willing to lower the price more to move it (playing with an online finance calculator, at the price they are asking I could take a 48 month loan on this truck and pay about $10 less per month than I am on the AURA!).

As for those saying to find a beater instead, what is your advice on this one then:

Link

018117.04.jpg

It's a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE, Regular Cab, Longbed, Z71 4WD for $3,995 - BUT, it has 175,000 miles on it. I've seen this one online for the last two months, so I figured that high mileage may not be it's only concern. But conversely, it's cheap and affordable and wouldn't require a lengthy loan.

Anyway, let's back up a moment, Mr. Truckguy; how are you planning on using your truck? Are you going to be hauling heavy stuff or just bulky stuff? Do you need to carry a lot of people or just a few? Do you need much inside storage space? Are you planning on towing anything? What's your budget?

WMJ, see I prefer pickup trucks to cars, I don't necessarily need one (much like someone who prefers sports cars to sedans. even when they have a family to transport). I'm not a 'huge' person - being 5'9" and 240lbs - but I hate small, tiny interiors and need a vehicle that I find roomy and comfy, one benefit of owning a full-size pickup (the AURA and G6 that we have are the smallest I am willing to go, and even then 1.5+ long hour drives can get tiresome quickly for me). That being said, let me answer your questions:

1. Use: Daily driver 95% of the time; hauling snack foods/beverage cases once a week for my job (wholesale shopping club) being the other 4%; 1% for all of the family calls I'll get to haul something for them. More bulky stuff than heavy stuff, at least once a week.

2. People: The truck will need to carry me on a a dialy basis, and be available to carry my wife and two boys (14 y-o <5' 8", 140lbs> and 3 y-o <50", 40lbs, in a booster seat>) comfortably on the weekends. Honestly, carrying people is more important than cargo.

3. Interior space: More would be nice - an extended cab is a must for weekend family hauling needs. However, we do have the wife's G6 to use for weekend duty, so the regular cab I posted above could suffice to save me cash (assuming I don't get my contract and I'm unemployed for an undetermined amount of time).

4. Towing: No need at this time.

5. Budget: Well, I know I can afford what I'm paying right now for the AURA lease (very low $300s)... but assuming I'm unemployed in four months and will be for an undetermined amount of time, that's questionable (and may require me to give up the lease anyway). I have $2k in cash on hand, but am hesitant to use it should I find myself unemployed beyond the summer and in need of money to survive.

So I've basically answered my own question - I don't need a 2500 series pickup, and if I want a 1500 series, I should be looking for a crew cab model. Unfortunately, that means the oldest I can look for is a 2003 model, and even then they aren't as cheap as this 2001 2500 extended cab with low miles. I've tried making myself comfortable in a crew cab GMC Canyon, but it just doesn't work out. The Envoy (lease) we had was fine, but I want a pickup truck over a SUV (and based on my answers above, a SUV is more practical for me). Maybe I should be looking for an older, decent condition Yukon 4-door.

I'd still like to hear what people have to say about the '01 regular cab with 175K on the odometer.

I guess I will continue searching older, used GMC Jimmy 4-door SLE & SLT models. I've been concentrating my search on 2000 & 2001 models, the last ones offered before the GMT-360 Envoy took over. Any advice on the Jimmy models?

Avoid.

While the 4.3 will run forever, Blazers and Jimmys will nickel and dime you to death.

Unless you are okay with little repairs every other month....

WMJ, see I prefer pickup trucks to cars, I don't necessarily need one (much like someone who prefers sports cars to sedans. even when they have a family to transport). I'm not a 'huge' person - being 5'9" and 240lbs - but I hate small, tiny interiors and need a vehicle that I find roomy and comfy, one benefit of owning a full-size pickup (the AURA and G6 that we have are the smallest I am willing to go, and even then 1.5+ long hour drives can get tiresome quickly for me). That being said, let me answer your questions:

1. Use: Daily driver 95% of the time; hauling snack foods/beverage cases once a week for my job (wholesale shopping club) being the other 4%; 1% for all of the family calls I'll get to haul something for them. More bulky stuff than heavy stuff, at least once a week.

2. People: The truck will need to carry me on a a dialy basis, and be available to carry my wife and two boys (14 y-o <5' 8", 140lbs> and 3 y-o <50", 40lbs, in a booster seat>) comfortably on the weekends. Honestly, carrying people is more important than cargo.

3. Interior space: More would be nice - an extended cab is a must for weekend family hauling needs. However, we do have the wife's G6 to use for weekend duty, so the regular cab I posted above could suffice to save me cash (assuming I don't get my contract and I'm unemployed for an undetermined amount of t

4. Towing: No need at this time.

5. Budget: Well, I know I can afford what I'm paying right now for the AURA lease (very low $300s)... but assuming I'm unemployed in four months and will be for an undetermined amount of time, that's questionable (and may require me to give up the lease anyway). I have $2k in cash on hand, but am hesitant to use it should I find myself unemployed beyond the summer and in need of money to survive.

So I've basically answered my own question - I don't need a 2500 series pickup, and if I want a 1500 series, I should be looking for a crew cab model. Unfortunately, that means the oldest I can look for is a 2003 model, and even then they aren't as cheap as this 2001 2500 extended cab with low miles. I've tried making myself comfortable in a crew cab GMC Canyon, but it just doesn't work out. The Envoy (lease) we had was fine, but I want a pickup truck over a SUV (and based on my answers above, a SUV is more practical for me). Maybe I should be looking for an older, decent condition Yukon 4-door.

I'd still like to hear what people have to say about the '01 regular cab with 175K on the odometer.

Which engine? 5.3, I assume?

If it has benn siting for a while, make em' cut a deal.

175k is not bad, I can't see why 250k would be out of the question....see if the engine has been loved...

Which engine? 5.3, I assume?

If it has benn siting for a while, make em' cut a deal.

175k is not bad, I can't see why 250k would be out of the question....see if the engine has been loved...

Here's the info on the '01 Sierra SLE, Regular Cab, Longbed, Z71/4WD:

As for those saying to find a beater instead, what is your advice on this one then:

Link

018117.04.jpg

It's a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE, Regular Cab, Longbed, Z71 4WD for $3,995 - BUT, it has 175,000 miles on it. I've seen this one online for the last two months, so I figured that high mileage may not be it's only concern. But conversely, it's cheap and affordable and wouldn't require a lengthy loan.

PCS, thanks for your input, I do appreciate it. Common sense is telling me to pass on the '01 Sierra 2500, as the extend cab is not as roomy for the family and I don't have a need for a 3/4 pickup and the capabilities it offers. As for the '01 Sierra Regular Cab, the main benefit is that I could have it paid off in about 12 months with low payments - unless I was able to negotiate a much better cash deal and drive away with it. It may not offer room for more than 3, but a small payment or no payment is much better than worrying about making my current lease payment after June.

daves87rs, your advice on the Jimmy/Blazer (and Bravada) are spot on. I've spoken with a couple of other people I know that are more knowledgable with mechanics than me and they told me to stay away from the Jimmy/Blazer/Bravada - especially since 4WD/AWD systems can be costly to repair, in addition to other reliability issues. I was looking at a 2001 Jimmy SLT 4WD with 110k and a 2000 Bravada Platinum with 105k. My two friends basically said no and recommend I stick with a car if I'm going with an older, used purchase to hold me over. Both also were leary of the '01 Regualr Cab with 175K, saying that repairs could run costly too. But they said those trucks with the 5.3L V8 engine are known for lasting over 200k miles and said if I could drive away with it for $2,000 cash, it might be a good deal (they both recommended a mechanic to check it out first before I do anything).

Throwing Oldsmoboi in here, he has mentioned to me in the past to look at used Oldsmobile Aleros. I've always liked the GLS Coupe, so I did a Craigslist search in my area and found this one:

Link

3nd3m33p6ZZZZZZZZZ92r774b705d80ad14a7.jp

The good thing with this car is that I could drive it and pay it off in 24 months and that's about when my stepson will be turning 17 - I can give it to him as his first car (of course I know he won't like it - he wants a Scion Tc - but who can refuse a free car when offered???). The wife likes this idea too, however I need to see what I can do with my SmartLease (there's a local CarSense dealer that is advertising they are looking to buy newer, decent condition used cars, so I might stop by there this week to see what can be worked out).

PCS, thanks for your input, I do appreciate it. Common sense is telling me to pass on the '01 Sierra 2500, as the extend cab is not as roomy for the family and I don't have a need for a 3/4 pickup and the capabilities it offers. As for the '01 Sierra Regular Cab, the main benefit is that I could have it paid off in about 12 months with low payments - unless I was able to negotiate a much better cash deal and drive away with it. It may not offer room for more than 3, but a small payment or no payment is much better than worrying about making my current lease payment after June.

daves87rs, your advice on the Jimmy/Blazer (and Bravada) are spot on. I've spoken with a couple of other people I know that are more knowledgable with mechanics than me and they told me to stay away from the Jimmy/Blazer/Bravada - especially since 4WD/AWD systems can be costly to repair, in addition to other reliability issues. I was looking at a 2001 Jimmy SLT 4WD with 110k and a 2000 Bravada Platinum with 105k. My two friends basically said no and recommend I stick with a car if I'm going with an older, used purchase to hold me over. Both also were leary of the '01 Regualr Cab with 175K, saying that repairs could run costly too. But they said those trucks with the 5.3L V8 engine are known for lasting over 200k miles and said if I could drive away with it for $2,000 cash, it might be a good deal (they both recommended a mechanic to check it out first before I do anything).

Throwing Oldsmoboi in here, he has mentioned to me in the past to look at used Oldsmobile Aleros. I've always liked the GLS Coupe, so I did a Craigslist search in my area and found this one:

Link

3nd3m33p6ZZZZZZZZZ92r774b705d80ad14a7.jp

The good thing with this car is that I could drive it and pay it off in 24 months and that's about when my stepson will be turning 17 - I can give it to him as his first car (of course I know he won't like it - he wants a Scion Tc - but who can refuse a free car when offered???). The wife likes this idea too, however I need to see what I can do with my SmartLease (there's a local CarSense dealer that is advertising they are looking to buy newer, decent condition used cars, so I might stop by there this week to see what can be worked out).

Nice, but it needs 4 doors.... 8)

The wife whines about me having a 2dr Cobalt (debated about trading it in for a 4dr), but for my one little guy, to me it is not a big deal. I guess it also helps that the Balt will be paid off soon....

But with 3 kids, 4 doors are much easier...

Well, here it is two days later and I still can't get the 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Extend Cab 4WD out of my head!! It doesn't help that the landscaping company that was responsible for snow removal the last two days in my development had similar Sierra 2500 Extend Cab pickups plowing the streets; nor as I drove around on errands today I saw no less than four Sierra 2500's on the roads or in parking lots (they're stalking me!!). I think for my sanity I need to go see this truck this weekend :mind-blowing:

Also, I've been thinking about the 2001 Regular Cab SLE 1500 Z71/4WD too. I really need to find out if the selling dealership has any maintenance records available, and any background history on the truck they can give me. If it turns out that it is a well-kept, reliable truck, I'd definitely be interested in it more.

Anything that is not a GMC Sierra is not keeping me interested very long (like the Alero coupe I posted about). If I'm going to not have a new car/truck by late summer, I want whatever used vehicle I end up with to be something I do want and not have to settle for.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking over the next several months - there's no immediate need for me to do anything, and I'm not sure how I could get out of my lease in a beneficial way at this time without costing me money that I don't want to part with.

Nice, but it needs 4 doors.... 8)

The wife whines about me having a 2dr Cobalt (debated about trading it in for a 4dr), but for my one little guy, to me it is not a big deal. I guess it also helps that the Balt will be paid off soon....

But with 3 kids, 4 doors are much easier...

I only have 1.5 kids (14 y-o & 3 y-o), so while a 4-door is definitely more practical, I could get by with a 2-door. The wife on the otherhand wants the convenience of a 4-door.

I'm still hung up on the '01 2500 extend cab (see the post right before this one). If I had to make a purchase by this weekend, I'd probably end up with that 2500. Seeing as how I have the lease tying me down right now, unless I found a beneficial-to-me way out, I don't think I'll end up with it.

I need to stop online window shopping, if only for the purpose of keeping my sanity!!

I only have 1.5 kids (14 y-o & 3 y-o), so while a 4-door is definitely more practical, I could get by with a 2-door. The wife on the otherhand wants the convenience of a 4-door.

I'm still hung up on the '01 2500 extend cab (see the post right before this one). If I had to make a purchase by this weekend, I'd probably end up with that 2500. Seeing as how I have the lease tying me down right now, unless I found a beneficial-to-me way out, I don't think I'll end up with it.

I need to stop online window shopping, if only for the purpose of keeping my sanity!!

Well, it never hurts to look...

Besides, you could always do some landscaping with it, to help pay for it.... :neenerneener:

Roger I understand your point about not needing a truck. But wanting one. I like trucks and car equally. I had considered a month or so ago a '07 (new style) Silverado 1500 regular cab, long box, LS, with a 4.8 with only 25K on it for 9,200 it was RWD. I wouldn't need a truck but could find a use for one over the summer doing landscaping. If you want that clean 2500 get it and get them to take another thousand off the price and go for it, if thats what you want!

Personally I would go for it and be hard about negotiations for a lower price. If the weather is cold, by all means start it up and listen as I have the 6.0 V8 and they do have a large annoying issue. The lifter knock on start up. I have gone from regular to mixed to pure sythetic and mine still knocks and GM says it is normal and expected. It did not do this for the first 25K miles or so but at 50K it sure is noticable on a frozen morning day for a few seconds and then goes away.

Some people have gotten GM to fix the noise but they do not do it for everyone, not really sure how they correct the noise either as it has hydrolic lifters so I would have to think they replace them.

Looks sharp and nice, go for it.