Something Special

I grew up around a lot of pickup truck owners, and many were GMCs. My grandfather had a '55 GMC 102 2nd series ("Blue Chip") pickup that I remember riding around in with both him & my dad when I was real young... it's engine blew and my grandfather "parked" it in his backyard to one day fix up (never happened). From the age of 6 up it was a play toy for us grandkids, and I spent a lot of my ouitside time pretend driving it and using it as my construction truck, spaceship (Star Wars period), and overall playground equipment (I had a great imagination, huh!). Back to the neighborhood - my next door neighbor worked for the state department of transportation and always had a GMC Sierra worktruck. His personal truck, an early '80s Ford F150 2WD and later a mid-'80s Ford Ranger 2WD pickup always seemed to give him problems - but those GMCs never did. My other neighbor owned a '84 or '85 GMC S-15 Jimmy and he babied that thing for many, many years (he still had it when I moved out in 1999!). Many other neighbors had Chevy trucks, and like the GMCs they never let their owners down (one neighbor had an awesome '91 Chevy Silverado 1500 Sportside 2WD that I lusted after too). I guess it all goes back to granpa's '55 GMC and a boyhood of play that today makes me a huge GMC fan.

This is the only truck I can honestly say I lust for.

Although if I were actually going to buy one of the SyTy trucks, I'd really rather have a Typhoon. Much more practical IMHO.

Those Typhoons were pretty cool, I'd always rather have an SUV over a truck... I think if I going to have an over-top powerful truck or SUV, I'd go for a Grand Cherokee SRT8..

I think it would be sweet if someone did a 4-door Typhoon one-off. Well, as long as they didn't sacrifice a good Typhoon or Syclone to do it.

I know a few years back, a company made an aftermarket body kit for the Sonoma/Jimmy that would give it the appearance of a SyTy ...

Edited by YellowJacket894

i'd punch someones mom for that beast. i almost almost bought a black 97 tahoe 2dr sport with garnet interior for 7800 when i was looking for somethin in 2004. it had 65K miles. prolly better i went with the colorado tho considering the past 3 yrs.

Yeah, that pic represents an unfulfilled automotive need for me. I tried to order one when they were new, but none of the local GMC dealers could get an allocation.

So I ordered a Tahoe.

Which came in in the wrong color 9 months later.

I told them to keep it.

:lovey:

I won't repost another Yukon 2-door picture since you covered it with this GT picture, but man these full-size 2-door SUVs were popular where I lived in central NJ growing up. As camino posted that he couldn't order one, the local GMC dealer near my house never had a problem getting four-five 2-door Yukons in stock (SLE & GT models, never saw any SL base ones). Even when the 4-door took over in popularity, they still stocked two-three 2-door models until their demise in 1997. Used ones when I worked there in 1999 & 2000 didn't last long either.

I still want one of these bad boys dearly. I keep my eye out continuously looking for one, both for sale on the street and online. One day I will get one of these SUVs. Of course it would be nice of GM to reintroduce the 2-door full-size SUV (here's a poor photoshop, but I still like how it looks):

26401540006_large.jpg