Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

REPORT: Chrysler 200C heading for production

200cev-ed03.jpg

Allpar is reporting that the 200C that has gained praise both here and in Geneva is heading for production.

The electric Chrysler 200C (not to be confused with the C200) has an exciting look which retains much of the 300’s feel, while modernizing it and giving it a much more aerodynamic-looking shape; reportedly, it looks like the Sebring prototype before Daimler got hold of it. The Chrysler 200C has been approved for production, according to many sources including, as of March 17, EVP Steve Landry.

The exact form is not yet known, but we have heard that the production version will be very similar to the concept, with versions powered by gasoline and by electricity. The car was cleverly designed so that battery storage goes inside the transmission tunnel when powered by a motor, but can be switched to rear wheel drive by putting a transmission into the tunnel. Rumor has converged on Brampton getting production — logical since it is based on the Challenger — but Brampton workers have been told that, as with the Challenger, they have to “earn it.”

Allpar

Its good news, should sell much better than the POS afterthought midsizers they have now. My issue is time. How long will it take to get it into showrooms? One thing I will say about Dodge, they seem to have done this the right way, it appears the 200C was a styling exercise based on an existing, in production platform. I could see them getting non-EV versions on the road within a reasonable amount of time. Not like GM with the Camaro, showing off the concept knowing damn well they're going to produce it then not having it hit the streets for 4 years.

Chrysler's been pretty good about bringing concepts to market in a reasonable time frame (Challenger for example).

I wonder what's going to happen with the Avenger. Will it go RWD too or stick to it's platform to keep it from competing with the 200C? I would think the latter would be a better choice, since it would also give Chrysler a FWD midsizer to sell to those who fear RWD.

The Avenger, unlike the Sebring, I think is salvageable with better powertrains, noise isolation, and a good interior.

If it's based on the Challenger, it will not look like that Sebring-y concept. That car's proportions are much less hulking and ridiculous.

It's based on the LX platform, I'm assuming the new version of LX. The concept is built on the actual LX platforms o the look is certainly possible to keep for production.

If the 200C enters production looking close to as is and is rear drive, I would definitely be considering THAT.

Perhaps once the market turns around, Chrysler wants to move upmarket?

Chrysler's been pretty good about bringing concepts to market in a reasonable time frame (Challenger for example).

I wonder what's going to happen with the Avenger. Will it go RWD too or stick to it's platform to keep it from competing with the 200C? I would think the latter would be a better choice, since it would also give Chrysler a FWD midsizer to sell to those who fear RWD.

The Avenger, unlike the Sebring, I think is salvageable with better powertrains, noise isolation, and a good interior.

I would think that the Avenger replacement would be based on a FWD Fiat platform. I am just speculating, though.

Great move. It will be a Cat in the boring midsized pigeons and will possibly even gun for entry level luxury RWD if Chry options the vehicle correctly.

Is new LY going to be flexible enough to have two different wheelbases and widths for vehicles? Will it have a manual transmission?

LY had better be flexible enough, otherwise Chrysler will be doing what Buick was doing with the LeSabre and Park Avenue. Selling two cars of identical size with identical powertrains but with slight styling differences. I doubt we'll see a manual, that would be more fitting for a Dodge version.

LY had better be flexible enough, otherwise Chrysler will be doing what Buick was doing with the LeSabre and Park Avenue. Selling two cars of identical size with identical powertrains but with slight styling differences. I doubt we'll see a manual, that would be more fitting for a Dodge version.

If Chrysler wants to be looking for credibility it would put a nice manual tranny to fan the media. But you are right, there should be a distinct difference between the 200s and 300s otherwise it will be Buick fiasco 2.0.

I don't know if anyone went to NAIAS as I did, but the 200C was smaller than the 300.

+1

Funny that a supposed dead car company can give us all that GM has promised for 8 years now

Yeah, one thing you have to give Daimler credit for is that they got Chrysler back into mainstream RWD cars during their ownership...prior to their ownership, Chrysler was as committed to mainstream FWD-only sedans as GM has been since '96..

I read an article (I think in C&D) when the Magnum concept acme out. It quoted someone inside Chrysler that said they were considering RWD before the merger, but the merger made it a lot easier. The reasons given had to do with styling and underhood packaging.

Yeah, one thing you have to give Daimler credit for is that they got Chrysler back into mainstream RWD cars during their ownership...prior to their ownership, Chrysler was as committed to mainstream FWD-only sedans as GM has been since '96..

Daimler made quick money. They used the W210 platform of the then old E Class which was one of the best platforms and modified it for the Chrysler. Long term they saved a bunch of money while gave Chrysler something to rejuvenate its product lineup with.

I read an article (I think in C&D) when the Magnum concept acme out. It quoted someone inside Chrysler that said they were considering RWD before the merger, but the merger made it a lot easier. The reasons given had to do with styling and underhood packaging.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened without the merger. I suspect Chrysler would have stayed w/ FWD.

I can see the 200C being a huge hit. This is what the Sebring replacement should have been all along; a smaller RWD sedan with classic, yet less polarizing styling than the 300. I'm surprised Chrysler didn't take this direction after the success of the 300. The current Sebring couldn't have been more of a failure, really.

I can see the 200C being a huge hit. This is what the Sebring replacement should have been all along; a smaller RWD sedan with classic, yet less polarizing styling than the 300. I'm surprised Chrysler didn't take this direction after the success of the 300. The current Sebring couldn't have been more of a failure, really.

I'd love to see a convertible version of the 200C to replace the vile Sebring convertible.

I would think that LY would be as flexible as LX. LX was split into 2 different wheelbases. The SWB version (Challenger) and the LWB version (300, Magnum, Charger). There's no reason they can't do the same thing with LY. If I understand correctly, LY is just an updated/revised version of LX anyway.

The 200C Concept is a smaller car than the 300. It also sits on a shorter wheelbase.

My only worry with this is that they'll come out with a Dodge version at the same time, which may siphon off funding. I think ChryCo should spend as much money as possible to make this the best car they've ever produced.

I think Dodge will stick with the Challenger as their SWB LX/LY platform offering. I think they will probably develop a future FWD midsize sedan (and hopefully coupe) for Dodge based on a Fiat platform. The 200C RWD midsize sedan will probably remain a Chrysler brand exclusive.

I also think that Chrysler can make this car a credible competitor and still develop a next gen Challenger off of the SWB LY platform. Since the current Challenger just came out recently, the 2 products would have staggered introduction times. This should allow the company to properly develop and launch both products without straining resources or diluting the products.

Edited by cire