So who here has a Mac?

I have to say--I have loved macs since 1995 (Dartmouth required macs back then and my friend was attending--loved her damn machine!) Her husband currently has a mac notebook, and I love the operating system.

If I could pirate software just as easily as with windows, I'd get one myself ;)

i have a mac plus from the 80's....

but you can pirate easy on macs all day long.

yeah you have to have 2 fingers on the touch pad then click for right click

as for the font i dont know

Mac's Suck, they screwed me in the early 80's and the piece of $h! CEO and his turd company will never again get a cent from me. Apple can die along with Linux, Solaris and Unix.

DELL and HP both have sweet new notebooks that come out in April that are supposed to be thinner than the Mac Crap.

Did you get that font yet? I run a '07 iMac and there are two Helvetica fonts available.

Nope not yet, if you'd be willing send them it would be most awesome.

Mac's Suck, they screwed me in the early 80's and the piece of $h! CEO and his turd company will never again get a cent from me. Apple can die along with Linux, Solaris and Unix.

DELL and HP both have sweet new notebooks that come out in April that are supposed to be thinner than the Mac Crap.

Dell sucks too IMHO (besides their notebooks which seem ok). Nothing beats building it yourself. As for notebooks in general, I would consider a MacBook Pro, an Asus, Acer...

What do you have against Linux, Unix, and Solaris?

you can already order the adamo and voodoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 13

Nope not yet, if you'd be willing send them it would be most awesome.

Dell sucks too IMHO (besides their notebooks which seem ok). Nothing beats building it yourself. As for notebooks in general, I would consider a MacBook Pro, an Asus, Acer...

What do you have against Linux, Unix, and Solaris?

:rotflmao: DF you and I will always agree to disagree about DELL. :smilewide:

What do I have against Linux, Unix and Solaris you ask? last 20 years of working on them, the ever changing NON standards. The lack of any consistency among them. The harsh vague world of certification they have to get your products approved to work with their servers and OS.

I started out with the best Unix company in the world, DIGITAL. Their down side was not the Awesome Engineering but their lack of Marketing and selling. That technology ended up at Compaq who bought them and grew the sales before messing up their own sales / marketing and then they got bought by HP.

I used to be a big fan of Tru64, the Alpha, etc. yet every time those of us that tried to get the Unix world to come together to have a universal interface and set of commands, people would end up bitching about their version of Unix was better than everyone else. In the end, Unix stayed fragmented and windows started to grow.

Then you had Linux come along and promise to do all that Unix had failed to do and long story short, we are fragmented again, Redhat, SuSE, Ubunto, etc.

Sun came out talking about standards, easy to use interface, etc and instead they stayed proprietary and while their CLI is somewhat strong, their GUI sucks and worse yet, their is NO standards and so it becomes hell to get your hardware certified with them.

Apple came out started and screwed over their fans in the late 70's who helped them grow and then again in the mid 80's as they pushed in to the Enterprise area only to pull back and leave companies with millions of dollars of unsupported hardware. They are now trying to push again into big business, but most who remember getting burned will NEVER let them in again.

While Windows is not perfect and many will curse it, MSFT has at least kept the end user experiance consistant and allowed a world of people to grow, have jobs and be successful by keeping standards in place. yes things need to always improve and as long as my job requires me to program and test on windows, Linux, Solaris and Unix. I will do what is needed to keep my job, but my preference is windows.

There will come a day when I will say screw em all I am out of here to a nice relaxing change of career, but for now this pays the bills well, my life style and other things.

Windows Rocks, the rest are just Blocks and with that they have flowed out to sea to be lost.

IMO you will never see Linux replace windows or Mac's in the home or school. It is not and has never been user friendly. :pokeowned:

Linux is very not cool because I own Microsoft stock. :P

:smilewide: Thank you :smilewide:

People like you is who allowed Microsoft to grow and create millions of jobs that people are doing around the world.

Microsoft has created more jobs than Linux, Unix, Solaris or Mac has ever created.

Windows Rocks! :metal:

:smilewide: Thank you :smilewide:

People like you is who allowed Microsoft to grow and create millions of jobs that people are doing around the world.

Microsoft has created more jobs than Linux, Unix, Solaris or Mac has ever created.

Windows Rocks! :metal:

And along with it all of the $h! that bogs down the system. I can't even receive a file from Messenger anymore without it wanting to download OneCare scanner, then bitch at me when I tell it to piss off and let me get my file.

And sorry, that line "Microsoft made jobs so anything freeware is t3h gheyz" is a weak argument. I like Windows, and I use it primarily, but Linux and other freeware OS's offer far more customization for the advanced user, they are efficient, more secure, and very reliable. Oh and far more servers use Linux than Windows.

You;re going to have to come up with a better argument then that as to why you dislike Linux etc for me to take it seriously.

Stop hijacking my thread dammit. :P

And along with it all of the $h! that bogs down the system. I can't even receive a file from Messenger anymore without it wanting to download OneCare scanner, then bitch at me when I tell it to piss off and let me get my file.

And sorry, that line "Microsoft made jobs so anything freeware is t3h gheyz" is a weak argument. I like Windows, and I use it primarily, but Linux and other freeware OS's offer far more customization for the advanced user, they are efficient, more secure, and very reliable. Oh and far more servers use Linux than Windows.

You;re going to have to come up with a better argument then that as to why you dislike Linux etc for me to take it seriously.

Stop hijacking my thread dammit. :P

:neenerneener: Suck it up to hard cold facts that Windows out sells Linux and Unix! :neenerneener:

Windows Trumps Unix

Now, back here in reality in the third quarter of 2008, Windows trumps Unix unless you count Linux as a kind of Unix (which I do for spiritual and cultural purposes). In Q3, IDC believes that server makers kicked out $5.1bn in Windows machines, a decline of 5.1 per cent and giving Windows a 40.8 per cent of the global server pie in the quarter. Unix, which is mostly a midrange and high-end play these days, accounted for $3.7bn in sales, down 8 per cent and giving Unix a 29.7 per cent share of the pie. Linux server sales fell by 2.5 per cent to $1.8bn in the quarter, giving Linux boxes a 14 per cent share.

If you add Unix and Linux together to feel better about competition for Windows, then Uni(linu)x won this quarter, comprising $5.5bn in sales. But it was a squeaker, and the combined based declined by 6.5 per cent, which is a steeper drop-off compared to the Winders platform. Other boxes - and notably IBM's System z mainframes, which are enjoying an upgrade cycle to the new z10 quad-core machines - accounted for the remaining sales couple billion dollars in sales. IBM's System z mainframe saw a revenue bump of 24.8 per cent in Q3 2008.

IDC's stats, like the data coming out of Gartner, show that the x64 server market took it hard on the chin in Q3. (But as you can see from the above comparison, nothing at all like Q3 2001). x64 server sales dropped by 6.6 per cent in the third quarter of 2008 to $6.9bn - the largest decline in six years. x64 server sales in the United States were off 12.2 per cent, the worst decline since 2001, and all regions except Latin America have x64 server sales declines.

Latin America, a tiny but growing slice of the server market, had a stunning 12.8 per cent revenue spike. (While this is wonderful, considering that the United States and Western Europe are in recession and we are all connected economically in this silly old world, how long can Latin America remain a bright spot?) IDC said that x64 server buyers were cutting back on configurations and were also shopping based on price, which drove down sales.

IDC likes to break out numbers for blade servers, which as we all know should account for more of the server market than they do. (Well, if you believe all the benefits that vendors espouse). Blade sales rose by 29.5 per cent in the quarter across all processor architectures to $1.4bn, accounting for 11 per cent of global server sales in Q3. Blades were expected to have two to three times this share by now when they hit the market in early 2000.

Hewlett-Packard's blades continue to beat out IBM, which was trouncing HP a few years back. HP had 55.5 per cent revenue growth in Q3 (OK, that is a pretty juicy number), garnering 54.7 per cent of the blade revenue pie. IBM, by contrast, had a 7 per cent revenue decline and only took 22.9 per cent share. Dell had 70 per cent revenue growth in the quarter with blades, but is starting from a small number and still has only 9.3 per cent of sales.

The box counters at IDC also like to talk publicly about how sales of servers are doing for various price bands. The so-called volume server segment - machines that cost less than $25,000 - had a 7.2 per cent decline, and the first decline for this segment in 14 quarters. Midrange boxes (which sell for $25,000 to $500,000) had a 9.5 per cent revenue decline, while high-end boxes costing more than $500,000 saw a revenue bump of 4 per cent (thanks in large part to IBM's mainframes).

While Gartner pegs IBM as the server revenue leader, IDC thinks that HP managed to edge out Big Blue in the quarter. IDC figures that HP had $3.86bn in server sales in Q3, down 2 per cent, compared to IBM's $3.81bn, down 3.1 per cent. Dell came in third, with $1.51bn in sales (down 4.3 per cent), Sun Microsystems came in fourth with $1.19bn (down 10.9 per cent), and Fujitsu-Siemens had $647m (down 8.4 per cent). All the other tier-two and whitebox vendors added together pushed $1.56bn in servers, a decline of 12.2 per cent. ®

Course you will probably follow the rest of people who try to lump unix and linux together to say it beats windows, but for years the growth in Unix has been ZERO and Linux while growing is still way behind windows. I doubt it will ever replace windows.

Try again DF, like it always has been for years, Linux, Mac are just pretendars, not a replacement to windows.

Just because a product sells more doesn't make it better. Because if that's the cause then I guess Toyotas are better than GMs.You;re obvious not paying attention to the fact that I already said I like Windows, so why you feel the need to get into a pissing contest is beyond me.

Dude, seriously, you're getting annoying now. Stop hijacking my thread. I wanted a font, that is all.

Just because a product sells more doesn't make it better. Because if that's the cause then I guess Toyotas are better than GMs.You;re obvious not paying attention to the fact that I already said I like Windows, so why you feel the need to get into a pissing contest is beyond me.

Dude, seriously, you're getting annoying now. Stop hijacking my thread. I wanted a font, that is all.

DF, was not trying to get into a pissing contest with you, but enough of OS versions. I have truly been looking for the font for you and have not found the style for free. In fact just looked at my Vista system and realized it has less font styles than on my XP Pro system :mind-blowing: What is up with that.

Here is a free alternatives that do look like it and a comparison list:

Free font like Helvetica

Some of the fonts that look like Helvetica or are very similiar are Arial, Aristocrat, CG Tiumvirate, Claro, Corvus, Europa Grotesk, Geneva 2, Hamilton, Helio/II, Helv, Helvette, Holsatia, Megaron/II, Nimbus Sans URW, Spectra, Vega, Newton, Sans URW, Sonoran Sans Serif, Swiss, Swiss 721 BT, Switzerland, Swiss 911 BT (Helvetica Compressed), Impact and Placard Bold and Swiss 921 BT (Helvetica Inserat/Compressed), Arial Narrow (Helvetica Narrow). There are probably many others.

Good Luck,