Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gm4life

Car Buying Question... PLEASE HELP!

33 posts in this topic

Well I am really busy until nearly mid-June and so nothing will most likely happen between now and then but... I am thinking Cobalt/G5 Coupe with a 5spd. or a 2001-2002 GP GT Coupe. First off I think I have found basically exactly what I want, it has been for sale since early April with no offical price reduction yet. (Still same high price it was listed at.) It is a 2001 Pontiac GP GT SE Coupe in Silver with only 50K on the clock and is in very good shape (at least from the photos). I really do like the car and all the "special edition" extra's on it, problem it is nearly 500 miles away and about 1,500 more than what it is actually worth. I have emailed just to ask a few questions about it and as it turns out it was posted by the owners son so he didn't know anything about price, even though I asked... He did mention his parents would be willing to "give" on the price but not give the car away. I will basically pay KBB retail value for the car but not much more. If I like the car and want to get the "best price" on it how long should I wait? Because I don't want to loose it as SE's (Special Edition) are very hard to find, especailly with low miles! Having said that I won't have time to drive over to get it or pick it up until June. He did say that they would be willing to pick my up at the airport so can you trust stuff like this? I am just a little worried about the whole plan and realize I am half crazy. So what should I do in light of the fact I am really busy, want to get a good price and not miss out on the car? So pass, wait until I have more time, or do something about it now? (or soon next couple of weeks...)

Edited by gm4life
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, you are not going to find a 2000-2001 Grand Prix at a dealer, so you really have limited choices unless one comes up for auction at Barrett Jackson.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, you are not going to find a 2000-2001 Grand Prix at a dealer, so you really have limited choices unless one comes up for auction at Barrett Jackson.

Actually I found more than I thought, at small dealers or used car dealers. So I do understand that but how long should I wait to call and make an offer? I don't want to miss out on it but nor do I want to get screwed on it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nice part about private sellers is that they usually are more flexible with the price of the car. Usually, they start much higher then they anticipate the actual price is going to be. Once you make a cash offer, they will have to think if they would rather take the money or sit on the car some more. Also, don't forget the added expenses you are going to have by flying or driving to this location and then driving or towing the car back to your home.

You really have nothing to lose by making an offer.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The nice part about private sellers is that they usually are more flexible with the price of the car. Usually, they start much higher then they anticipate the actual price is going to be. Once you make a cash offer, they will have to think if they would rather take the money or sit on the car some more. Also, don't forget the added expenses you are going to have by flying or driving to this location and then driving or towing the car back to your home.

You really have nothing to lose by making an offer.

Yeah I guess your right. But I don't want to make an offer to early, the longer I wait, the more likely they will have extra "give" in the car.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cash talks, BS walks

However it's pretty far to make a cash offer. Whether or not you go for it depends on how much you want it. Is the Special Edition really special enough to be worth the effort? You need to ask yourself that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cash talks, BS walks

However it's pretty far to make a cash offer. Whether or not you go for it depends on how much you want it. Is the Special Edition really special enough to be worth the effort? You need to ask yourself that.

I would really prefer one yes a Special Edition, and the fact that it is a coupe is even better. (It has to be an L36 car I do not want nor need the L67!) It would be no problem getting it in June for me, so yeah... I don't know If I should call and offer or just wait a while yet. It is priced high that part of me is really not worried. The other part of me says don't wait... I really don't need another car yet, although by mid August I will.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Owned by a kid? That would make me pause.....

I would check to see if it has been modded.....

Have the ad handy, by chance?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Owned by a kid? That would make me pause.....

I would check to see if it has been modded.....

Have the ad handy, by chance?

No son listed for his parents, it is NOT modded at all, thankfully.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No son listed for his parents, it is NOT modded at all, thankfully.

Ah, good. Then it is at least worth a look....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Private sellers are a guessing game. If you guess right, the benefits usually outweigh those of a dealership purchase. If you guess wrong, you're usually stuck with a vehicle that will drive you crazy. Dealership purchases will generally give you a small warranty to consider and perhaps some perks, but at a set cost to meet a profit. Private sellers can list high, but will be much more flexible on price. As well, it's easier to find exactly what you want through a private seller. Some dealerships will tell you they can find what you're looking for, though. I can't comment on how well they're able, however, per lack of experience with that aspect.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option I will consider is go and talk to a small dealer. There is a family owned business in WV from where my family buys cars from, the owner and his son often travel to the Auction lots in South and looks for cars. You tell him the make, model and color choices of the car. He looks for the right cars at the auctions, calls back to see if he found something exact match or similar. If you like the car he buys it or he keeps on looking. He gives you the car VIN before the bid and asks you to check the history. Once that is clear from your side, he goes ahead and buys the car.

All he asks for is $200 over the auction price, plus the cost of gas (or $100 for trucking if he gets more than one vehicle at that auction) and $100 in paperwork. I think it is a neat idea to run a business.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Private sellers are a guessing game. If you guess right, the benefits usually outweigh those of a dealership purchase. If you guess wrong, you're usually stuck with a vehicle that will drive you crazy. Dealership purchases will generally give you a small warranty to consider and perhaps some perks, but at a set cost to meet a profit. Private sellers can list high, but will be much more flexible on price. As well, it's easier to find exactly what you want through a private seller. Some dealerships will tell you they can find what you're looking for, though. I can't comment on how well they're able, however, per lack of experience with that aspect.

That is exactly what I am worried about. Having said that I guess its worth a try....

But should I wait a while yet or go ahead and make the call?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Another option I will consider is go and talk to a small dealer. There is a family owned business in WV from where my family buys cars from, the owner and his son often travel to the Auction lots in South and looks for cars. You tell him the make, model and color choices of the car. He looks for the right cars at the auctions, calls back to see if he found something exact match or similar. If you like the car he buys it or he keeps on looking. He gives you the car VIN before the bid and asks you to check the history. Once that is clear from your side, he goes ahead and buys the car.

All he asks for is $200 over the auction price, plus the cost of gas (or $100 for trucking if he gets more than one vehicle at that auction) and $100 in paperwork. I think it is a neat idea to run a business.

I know someone who does something similar to that. I would prefer to have the satisfaction of going it alone tho, or with the help of my son...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I know someone who does something similar to that. I would prefer to have the satisfaction of going it alone tho, or with the help of my son...

The only way you can go to an auction at least in FL or GA is if you have a dealer's license.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That is exactly what I am worried about. Having said that I guess its worth a try....

But should I wait a while yet or go ahead and make the call?

Act while you still can. It never hurts to talk to the guy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Act while you still can. It never hurts to talk to the guy.

You think? Maybe I will BV but I cannot go pick it up or inspect it for a while... That is my problem, I am worried he won't accept 7K or 7,100 which is Bluebook Retail Value. Hmmm maybe this weekend, if I call though and he knows I am interested, maybe he won't give as much on price... That is the worry.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst that will happen is he says no. better to act then not, and wonder what could have been.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The worst that will happen is he says no. better to act then not, and wonder what could have been.

Yeah its just I won't have enough time to actually pick it up, for another month and a half... I just don't want to call now and get a price I will pay when I could have waited another few weeks and got an even better price, also that would be closer to the time I actually could make the trip to get the car. Hmmm, maybe I should start praying... :scratchchin: Also I haven't really discussed this with the other half much yet, but uhh my daughter will be thrilled she will have a car (Impala) and my son will because now he has a Pontiac again!

Although it has been on sale for about a month, are most people by that point ready to get rid of stuff? Also 7,000 is KBB Retail Value and I will not go any higher maybe 7,100! So a question is that a decent buy provided its in as good shape and I am pretty sure its in? I have seen 7,500 on one near me with 50K and cloth seats but it was an 02 GT Coupe. Now for an extra 3 grand I could have had a new and slow Korean $h!box. :AH-HA_wink: I guess I'll have to teach my son stick with the Camaro he or I will get someday.

Edited by gm4life
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are very few cars that are worth paying more than retail for.

With that said, I would trust whatever NADA says more than KBB. The latter has questionable figures, that will either play to your advantage or go the opposite way. The former seems to have more real-world figures.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NADA has trade in at 7,100 and KBB has dealer retail at 7,105... So I would say I am being very fair. Having said that NADA has the car being worth 8,900 from a dealer, I am saying no way would anyone pay that. I will never pay more than retail!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NADA has trade in at 7,100 and KBB has dealer retail at 7,105... So I would say I am being very fair. Having said that NADA has the car being worth 8,900 from a dealer, I am saying no way would anyone pay that. I will never pay more than retail!

That's what I mean. My Jetta retailed at $6500 on KBB and $5000 on Nada. My Cobalt retails at $8400 on KBB and $9100 on Nada.

On a side note, I'm not sure how, but I checked the retail value of the Cobalt before I bought it and it was atleast a grand higher. What the hell?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's what I mean. My Jetta retailed at $6500 on KBB and $5000 on Nada. My Cobalt retails at $8400 on KBB and $9100 on Nada.

On a side note, I'm not sure how, but I checked the retail value of the Cobalt before I bought it and it was atleast a grand higher. What the hell?

Well NADA is always HIGH and I find KBB to be more realistic and in line with what a smart consumer should pay.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Who's Chatting

    There are no users currently in the chat room