REPORT: Chrysler planning second Fiat-based compact sports sedan

070131_f_bravo_12_rgba-580op.jpg

For Chrysler, the cornerstone of its proposed alliance with Fiat is for the Italian automaker to supply its domestic partner with smaller, more fuel efficient platforms and drivetrains. It's been assumed that the Fiat 500 would be one of the vehicles Chrysler plans to market in the U.S., but according to a the Wall Street Journal, it may have more than a subcompact up its sleeve.

According to the report, Chrysler showed its (troubled) dealers the automaker's future products today in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and along with the all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a revised Chrysler 300, a "sporty little sedan" produced by Fiat was in attendance.

Chrysler's head of design, Ralph Gilles, told dealers that the automaker intends to have its own version of the car, with Fiat providing the chassis and Chrysler designing the exterior.

Although the WSJ's source didn't specify which Fiat was shown, informed speculation says that it was likely the Fiat Bravo, which would make a killer Dodge Caliber replacement and would finally provide Chrysler with a true successor to the Neon after its demise in 2006.

Autoblog

Yes, please kill the Caliber so I don't have to look at any more of them. The Bravo looks 1000x better, but of course Chrysler will be designing a new exterior, so we'll see how that works out. (Personally, I'd leave the exterior pretty much alone if I were Chrysler.)

This is good for Chrysler at least they have another company to hand them platforms to work with GM doesn't.

GM has its own platforms. The problem is GM is not giving the public those platforms and in a timely manner.

The only platform GM lacks is a solid, ultra modular/flexible, RWD platform. Something which can cater from a small 1 series size vehicle to right up to a SUV of size of Escalade if Escalade goes uni-body. A platform similar in concept to Audi's ultra modular platform.

Ideally GM will need only three platforms. Ultra Modular FWD with AWD capability, Ultra Modular RWD with AWD capability, and a BOF platform with AWD and 4x4 capability. The rest shall be playing with the widths and wheelbases.

Then why don't they have products like this already out?

Products like what? Small 4cyl FWD cars? Yeah, that's very new, GM has nothing like that. Perhaps it's the turbo 4cyl that you're referring to? The Cruze will surely be on the market here before any Fiat Bravo based Chrysler, seeing as how they still have to finalize the partnership (if it even happens), reskin it, tweek it to meet US specs, tool a factory (even if just for the US spec parts & assembly), etc.

I can understand some cynicism with GM these days, but it seems pretty misplaced in this case. Only thing I can think of that's left to differentiate it in any broad way is the styling, and that's always subjective (though the Bravo does look good, IMO.)

Well It would be about time the cruze should hit showrooms...

Cruze production is scheduled to begin (for the US) in April '10. That's basically 1 year from now. I think I'm being reasonable in my doubts that Chrysler can do everything they need to begin production of a Chrysler Bravo by then, though if they really get on it, they could be less than a year behind. We're talking about completing a major partnership agreement, which is being stonewalled by the unions, followed by a financially hurting company designing a reskin for a car (though perhaps it could be more of a badge/nose job than a real reskin), make it meet US specs, test it for US specs, tool, and produce. Not likely to happen in a year or less, IMO.

Cruze production begins in `10 but isn't it not supposed to go on sale in the NA market until `11 or `12?

Begins production in April '10 as an '11 model, but '11 models are often released as early as the year before their model year. Typical ramp-up is a couple months of building initial inventory for initial shipment, so we're looking at summer '10 most likely when the Cruze hits dealers.

GM has product plans.... they just change them every week. lol

Yes, dynamic plans..plan-of-the-week, plan-of-the-day.... :)

Anyway, if GM is going to be a lean and mean 21st century company instead of a bloated and obsolete 20th century company, they are going to be more dynamic.

Edited by Cubical

Chrysler's product plans that I know of:

• Redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Redesigned 300C
  • Redesigned Charger
  • Redesigned Durango
  • Production 200C
  • One EV by 2011 or 2012 (I forget)
  • Small Car based on the Bravo
  • Small car based on the 500
  • Some sort of replacement for the Avenger

Chrysler's product plans that I know of:

• Redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Redesigned 300C
  • Redesigned Charger
  • Redesigned Durango
  • Production 200C
  • One EV by 2011 or 2012 (I forget)
  • Small Car based on the Bravo
  • Small car based on the 500
  • Some sort of replacement for the Avenger

If the 200C goes into production and replaces the Sebring sedan, I'd love to see a convertible version also..the previous versions of the Sebring convertible has been successful, would love to see a RWD entry-lux convertible from Chrysler. Call it 200 Cordoba or something.

Edited by Cubical

Yes, dynamic plans..plan-of-the-week, plan-of-the-day.... :)

Anyway, if GM is going to be a lean and mean 21st century company instead of a bloated and obsolete 20th century company, they are going to be more dynamic.

Sure, but you can't keep paying designers and engineers to half-create vehicles and drivetrains, then kill them, over and over again. There's a difference between dynamic and schizophrenic. Of course, when the gov't likes to step in and change your plans, it can easily drive one to madness...