Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chysler mgmt. tried to part out the company

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/01/documen...chinese-tie-up/

According to an affidavit filed in the New York U.S. Bankruptcy Court where Chrysler filed for Chapter 11, the automaker's Co-President and Vice Chairman Tom LaSorda is quoted as saying "Chrysler has attempted in recent weeks to sell product lines and other units to a number of Chinese companies, but these efforts ... have been unsuccessful." The now bankrupt automaker offered the Chinese firms – including the Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co. and Chery – engines, transmissions, vehicle lines, intellectual property rights, distribution channels and its brands during a five-day summit in February. But nothing came to fruition.

Even more interesting/disturbing is the revelation that for the last two years, Chrysler has attempted to forge an alliance with nearly every automaker on the planet, including GAZ, Honda, Hyundai, Magna, Nissan and Tata, along with General Motors and even Toyota.

The document reveals:

*Chrysler and GM were in discussions in June and August of 2008, then later in November, with a last-ditch attempt in January which died shortly thereafter.

*A plan was proposed to Toyota, in which Chrysler would provide the Japanese automaker with its excess capacity or work with Toyota to develop new products, including (laughably) hybrids.

*Talks with Nissan failed in July, started again in September, then again in January and were eventually shot down.

*And finally, Honda received a proposal from Chrysler – then promptly rejected it the next day.

Did I miss something?

The Fiat deal is happening, and there are plans beyond bankruptcy, right?

Why are you guys writing the epitaph now?

Did something change?

Alright, it's true we're looking at this as the last gasp of the company; however, with accepting the current information of Chrysler's bankruptcy as common knowledge and another chapter in a company's life, then you read this story? You don't get the idea that it's probably a lot worse than 'just bad'?

Alright, it's true we're looking at this as the last gasp of the company; however, with accepting the current information of Chrysler's bankruptcy as common knowledge and another chapter in a company's life, then you read this story? You don't get the idea that it's probably a lot worse than 'just bad'?

Oh it's bad for sure, I just didn't get a "hopeless" vibe from things yet.

I thought there must have been an article I'd missed or something (really).

This must be why GM is afraid to file. Once someone does it they automatically become worthless? Id still consider buying a Chrysler car even though they filed bankruptcy. Same goes for GM or even Ford if it would have happened to them. I know id still buy a GM, never had a major problem with any of their vehicles so Im not afraid to buy one.

This must be why GM is afraid to file. Once someone does it they automatically become worthless? Id still consider buying a Chrysler car even though they filed bankruptcy. Same goes for GM or even Ford if it would have happened to them. I know id still buy a GM, never had a major problem with any of their vehicles so Im not afraid to buy one.

You, me and plenty of others, both here and all across the globe; however, I still haven't heard but one report of fact on how bankruptcy does not equal warranties becoming null and void. That is a troublesome issue for GM and Chrysler simply because the sheeple are an ignorant mass and just won't bite on trust for them with a new automobile.

What I really want to see is a survey conducted on new car buyers outside of the domestic makes to find out what influences helped them make their decision. I wouldn't doubt sales staff must be enjoying the ability to plant stupid and erroneous fears in the minds of consumers in order to make a sale.

I don't think were trying to sell their current vehicle lines and brands. Chrysler has, in the past, sold machinery and tooling for last gen vehicles.

See the Russian GAZ Siber (aka old Sebring):

GAZ_siber_450.jpg

They were probably trying to sell things like the PT Cruiser tooling, or the Viper brand....and maybe even Plymouth or Eagle.

For an auto enthusiast site, you people seem really clueless about Chrysler's bankruptcy. http://www.chryslerllc.com/en/news/

For an auto enthusiast site, you people seem really clueless about Chrysler's bankruptcy. http://www.chryslerllc.com/en/news/

Yeah, all well and good... but many have given up on the useless media forecasts and analysts' crystal ball predictions, never mind reading straight from a PR message declaring 'The future's so bright I gotta wear shades'.

Show me the money.