Record Shopping

LosAngeles

Here's a taste of what I bought. Scritti Politti - Cupid & Psyche 85 Earth Wind & Fire - the Need Of Love Kev Brown - I Do What I Do a couple of Roddy Rod 12"s (with Kev Brown on the track) ABB Records Always Bigger & Better Vol. 1 MC Hammer - Let's Get It Started Deloach - "Labor Of Love" 12" Joe Jackson - Night & Day (the album with "Stepping Out" on it) The Art Of OneMind Levert - Rope-A-Dope Style Cameo - Single Life Prince - "Let's Go Crazy/Erotic City" 12" (inside of which, I found the start of a letter written way back in '88, apparently a chick telling some dude she had a new boyfriend) Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle Human League - Crash "Rappin' Is Fundamental" 12" T'Pau - "Heart & Soul" 12" Laurnea - "Infatuation" 12" Toto - IV Twista - "So Sexy" 12" Johnny Gill's 2nd album (with "My My My" and stuff like that on it) Jones Girls - Get As Much Love As You can (think "Nights Over Egypt") Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward Christopher Williams - that album with "I Talk To Myself" on it Ready For The World's first album Jagged Edge - "Promise" 12" Starship - "It's Not Over Til It's Over" 12" Mint Condition - "What Kind Of Man Would I Be" 12" Patti La Belle - the album with "On My Own" on it (besides that song, I find her stuff kinda cheesy) The Jets (who here remembers them?) Terry Tate - "Babies Having Babies" 12" (an old KDAY favorite) Philip Bailey - Chinese Wall Mr. Mister's album with "Broken Wings" on it Stevie Nicks - The Wild Heart This was a Tuesday and a Saturday at the local vinyl shop which is closing down.

It's just hard to come up on much Hip-Hop, because that's usually the most expensive, plus I need to listen to a lot of it. So I've leaned towards the 80s for the most part, because it's cheaper, plus I want those samples.

It's just hard to come up on much Hip-Hop, because that's usually the most expensive, plus I need to listen to a lot of it.  So I've leaned towards the 80s for the most part, because it's cheaper, plus I want those samples.

[post="49694"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

dance is fairly spendy as well, $8-12 a single. sampling is fun! i know i've probably asked you this before, but do you spin anywhere? Edited by chris

Can't afford to get two tables and a mixer....my money right now is aimed at production/recording equipment. A $400 Battle Pack (tables, mixer, needles, and headphones all included) was calling me in that Guitar Center, but I know that's another bunch of accessories to start looking at, like slipmats and turntable cases and such. I'm not ready for all that, plus I'm a bit old to just suddenly start DJing out of nowhere. I better stick to the beats and rhymes. I could use a CD turntable, though....the pitch adjusting ability would help is sampling.

That Mr. Mister album is called 'Welcome to the Real World.'  I have it on CD.

I was naming the hits for those who don't know these albums.

I just can't have albums that old on CD. Especially stuff where I only like one song.

Does the Cameo one you bought have the song "Candy" on it?  I've heard that song on GTA San Andreas and really like it.

[post="49759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

"Candy" is on Word Up. I have three copies if you're interested.

I need the albums with "Flirt" and "She's Strange" on them.

I was naming the hits for those who don't know these albums.

I just can't have albums that old on CD.  Especially stuff where I only like one song. 

Find a good used CD shop, especially near a college, and you'll find that something like the Mr Mister CD will be only slightly more expensive than the vinyl LP.

I've got a nice little collection of vinyl myself. Also, I'm reading a book called "Vinyl Junkies," which you may want to pick up. It's an entertaining view of collecting records.

Find a good used CD shop, especially near a college, and you'll find that something like the Mr Mister CD will be only slightly more expensive than the vinyl LP.

[post="50037"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I meant that to say that I don't LIKE having those types of albums on CD. Like late 80s/90s Hip-Hop (if I can't find it on vinyl), an album where the CD had bonus tracks, or one I had to have that was available CD ONLY, I'll get the CD. Other than that, I usually want the vinyl. Because I really do believe that the vinyl sounds warmer. And with 70s/80s/non-Hip-Hop, it's better for me, because I listen t vinyl and CDs differently....just kinda how my brain works. And it's really been like that in the 4 years I've had a turntable, as all thru the 90s, I was buying CDs to move away from tapes...

I have a huge collection of early 80's vinyl. I gave my oldest daughter all my coolest album covers which we then stapled to her bedroom ceiling in a checkerboard pattern. She's got old VanHalen, Mettalica, Missing Persons, Blondie, Bryan Adams, Judas Priest, Sabbath, Pink Floyd.... etc etc etc. It looks really cool.

I have a huge collection of early 80's vinyl.  I gave my oldest daughter all my coolest album covers which we then stapled to her bedroom ceiling in a checkerboard pattern.  She's got old VanHalen, Mettalica, Missing Persons, Blondie, Bryan Adams, Judas Priest, Sabbath, Pink Floyd....  etc etc etc.  It looks really cool.

[post="50212"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Seriously, you have GOT to post a picture of yourself with the big Bon Jovi hair. I'm begging you.

I've been reading this book "Vinyl Junkies" and I've got some thoughts. What are your favorite records (actual vinyl...actually OWNED by you)? If it's your "favorite" and you don't own it, it's only your "favorite" to impress others (read: vinyl snobs...some of us here). Oh...and WHY? I'll give a longer list later (I want to see some other answers first), but I'll give one here. I have a European copy of Roger Waters' "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking." A friend from Sweden sent me this EMI copy of "Hitchhiking" which is in a "double album" sleeve, even though it's a single disc. And the cover does not include the K-Mar inspired "black tape" over the hitchhiker's bare rear.

starship had a 12" single of ITS NOT OVER?  how bout a 10 minute version of NOTHING'S GONNA STOP US NOW instead?

[post="50652"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They sure did....while Starship is overall pretty corny, I used to like some of those songs.

What are your favorite records (actual vinyl...actually OWNED by you)? If it's your "favorite" and you don't own it, it's only your "favorite" to impress others (read: vinyl snobs...some of us here).

[post="50423"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've never been one to have an abolute favorite album on any media. Though up there are (on the vinyl side):
-Little Brother - The Listening
-Superrappin' Vol. 2
-this Kev Brown really hasd me right now

Most of my vinyl was inherited, or bought because I liked one song, and most of the stuff where I like half or more of the album is on CD [edit: was already on CD before I started collecting vinyls].

The only real Holy Grail of albums for me right now is Special Ed's second album, Legal (because I liked it, but only had this crappy tape a friend of mine left in my car and long forgot about)...would love to find the vinyl, but I'd be happy with the CD. Edited by LosAngeles

Even more from yesterday's swap meet in Pasadena: -Switch's first two albums -Aaliyah - One In A Million -City High -Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World -Colors soundtrack (didn't know it was a big Juice Crew circlejerk, but they were all on Warner!) -Cameo - She's Strange -Tina Turner - Private Dancer -Sting - Nothing Like The Sun -Phil Collins - Face Value -Yes - 90125 -Billy Idol - Rebel Yell -David Bowie - Let's Dance -Jody Watley's first solo (featuring great production from Patrick Leonard (of Madonna "Live To Tell" fame) and David Z., among others) -Gloria Estefan - Cuts Both Ways -Freddie Jackson - Don't Let Love Slip Away -Elton John - Too Low For Zero -Alexander O'Neal - Hearsay -Toto's selftitled album ("Georgy Porgy" included) -Duran Duran - Rio -Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me -Steve Martin - A Wild & Crazy Guy (after all that talk about Dane Cook having the highest seller since this album, I figured I had to hear it) 12"s: -Al B. Sure - "Misunderstanding" -Grandmaster Flash - "White Lines" -"Rumors AND "Roaches!" -Coo Coo Cal - "My Projects" -Janet Jackson - "If" (had this remix I've been looking for dating back to '93" -Super Cat - "Ghetto Red Hot" -Ce Ce Peniston - "Keep On Walkin'" -Solo - "Heaven" (including the Hip-Hop part 2 with a cat I used to go to school with on it) -Dark Sun Riders - "Dark Sun Riders" -Shazzy - "Keep It Flowin'" -Questionmark Asylum - "Hey Lookaway" That's what negotiating can net you for under $60. But yesterday was definitely the cap for the year (unless I scrounge up more cash)

Even more from yesterday's swap meet in Pasadena:...
-Steve Martin - A Wild & Crazy Guy (after all that talk about Dane Cook having the highest seller since this album, I figured I had to hear it)

There are some interesting choices in there (Grand Master Flash among them) and some things that I'm sure the seller was just happy to get off of his hands.

I had this Steve Martin album...on 8-Track. It's a classic, along with "Let's Get Small" (which I have on CD) and "The Steve Martin Brothers" (a must-have on vinyl).