Financial Times: GM updates core brands

wildcat

According to Financial Times, Buick is getting a shot in the arm with the new LaCrosse, a media blitz ("Take a look at us now" and "You've changed and I love it"), and, eventually, some smaller, fuel-efficient vehicles. Peter DeLorenzo of autoextremist.com, for one, says, "Buick can absolutely capture a younger, more contemporary audience. They'll do it by unleashing a series of sensational looking, eye-catching designs combined with edgy image advertising that will delete any previous hoary notions of Buick”. Buick haters (and we all can see you for who you are, despite your denials) needn't bother, but others can click here to read the entire story.

Why the hell would they choose Buick as the sexy, youthful brand...

GM continues to defy logic

Where is the logic in shutting down your brand with the lowest buyer age, then taking your brand with the highest buyer age, and trying to get younger customers?

Hey GM, get rid rid of GMC too, then rebadge a Silverado as a Buick while you're at it.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Back in January of 2003, my wife fell in love with the Buick Rendezvous (she was 28 years old at the time). What did we do? We leased a Rendezvous for three years. We did look at an Enclave last year, but even the base model was out of our price range so she ended up with a Pontiac. Now, after seeing the new 2010 Buick LaCrosse twice (Philly Auto Show in February and NYIAS in April), she's totally head over heels for that car (and she's now 34 y-o). When my AURA lease is up this November, she wants me to take the Pontiac and she wants to get a new 2010 Buick LaCrosse. I also have a friend that is 34 and he is on his second new Buick - the first was a new 2005 Rainier and last year he traded that in for a loaded Enclave AWD. Buick is definitely reaching out to the under 40 crowd, and let's hope that new products in the pipeline continue to do so. I can see a new 2010 LaCrosse in my driveway in the near future (assuming I lose out on the battle for a GMC Terrain!! :lol:).

Back in January of 2003, my wife fell in love with the Buick Rendezvous (she was 28 years old at the time). What did we do? We leased a Rendezvous for three years.

Kind of reminds me of some friends of mine. A couple that is now 32 (she) and 38 (he)...when they married 6 years ago, she had a Focus, he had a Cherokee...they bought a Trailblazer and Rendezvous in '05, and recently upgraded to a Yukon and an Enclave for their family cars.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of old people that don't want old people cars. Look at Scion's buyers. They aimed for youth, they got old folks. Buick aiming for a younger audience doesn't mean they're going to run off the existing clients. It may actually appeal to most of their existing clients more than their old products, especially if they maintain some basics like comfort, quietness, and quality.

Another thing to consider is that a brand letting it's client base get too old can be death for the brand. The older the average buyer gets, the more that becomes the image of the brand, which makes it harder still to get younger buyers, and eventually all the buyers simply die off. It's not like Buick is aiming for first-time buyers with their new product. More like young professionals. The cars aren't becoming 16k cheapomobiles afterall.

Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of old people that don't want old people cars. Look at Scion's buyers. They aimed for youth, they got old folks. Buick aiming for a younger audience doesn't mean they're going to run off the existing clients. It may actually appeal to most of their existing clients more than their old products, especially if they maintain some basics like comfort, quietness, and quality.

Another thing to consider is that a brand letting it's client base get too old can be death for the brand. The older the average buyer gets, the more that becomes the image of the brand, which makes it harder still to get younger buyers, and eventually all the buyers simply die off. It's not like Buick is aiming for first-time buyers with their new product. More like young professionals. The cars aren't becoming 16k cheapomobiles afterall.

And what would make a young professional choose a Buick, over a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes? Or even a 300 or Charger? Seems like the only younger people considering Buicks are people who already own other GM products.

Why the hell would they choose Buick as the sexy, youthful brand...

LOL I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shed saturn pontiac and saab, dumb down chevy, only one or two cadillac models that are current. GM has no intention of maintaining a youthful customer base.

Edited by regfootball

CaddyXLR-V - >>"And what would make a young professional choose a Buick, over a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes?"<<

Because those brands, in general, are 1 - 2 price segments higher, and many YPs aren't dropping that kind of coin like they used to ?

>>"Seems like the only younger people considering Buicks are people who already own other GM products."<<

Didn't the Enclave disprove this already? Let's see what the Regal does...