Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

Carlisle

60 posts in this topic

I had a really good time at the show this year, but I'm really tired so I'll just give you some quick bullet points and post a few of my pics until tomorrow.

-Drove a new Camaro 1SS 6spd: reaction very favorable.

-Argued with GM engineers about fuel cell vs. I.C.E. : fun

-Saw SLP's amazing new supercharged Camaro prototype and shot the breeze with Dave and Ed Hamburger.

-Had a brief exchange with a very busy Fbodfather

-Saw more El Caminos than I've ever seen in one place before

- Found some potential items for my projects

-Walked the show for hours with Ocnblu

-Ran into my friend, Joe and shot the breeze with him

-Met up with the El Camino Central.com crowd

OK.

Pics:

1001292h.jpg

1001280.jpg

1001279b.jpg

1001278n.jpg

1001276vau.jpg

1001275s.jpg

1001274x.jpg

1001270n.jpg

1001267i.jpg

1001299c.jpg

1001298r.jpg

Edited by Camino LS6

It certainly was a great day, the vehicles were great, the weather was fantastic and the Camaro Ride & Drive was entirely TOO DAMNED SHORT.:)

...and one final point for the evening.

BV, you're a dweeb for not showing up!

:fryingpan:

Oh, and this:

:5thgen:

Yeah, Viper, this is for you for not showing up: :neenerneener:

But Dodgefan, you picked the wrong weekend to go. All the COOL vehicles were there THIS weekend.:smilewide:

But Dodgefan, you picked the wrong weekend to go. All the COOL vehicles were there THIS weekend.:smilewide:

No I most certainly picked the right weekend to go. :P

Too bad I couldn't do both though.

I gotta get my butt to the GM Nats one of these years. I had three things potentially planned for today, and doing a charity 65 mile ride for diabetes research won out.

And I'm extremely jealous of you for sitting in a running SS Camaro, much less driving one.

I gotta get my butt to the GM Nats one of these years. I had three things potentially planned for today, and doing a charity 65 mile ride for diabetes research won out.

And I'm extremely jealous of you for sitting in a running SS Camaro, much less driving one.

Yeah, but you sat in the ST!

I don't know if you can view this without registering, but it is more Camaro eye-candy.

http://chirpthird.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14229

Man you guys are lucky. I would have loved to have given a Camaro a test, even if it was only for a bit.

Camino, I'm really digging that black El Camino, so clean, and the budging fenders look very sexy. Is that how they came from the factory?

I believe that is how they came from GM. Thats a 1973-75. If you look at the 1976-77 above that one it too has those same fenders.

I believe that is how they came from GM. Thats a 1973-75. If you look at the 1976-77 above that one it too has those same fenders.

Yeah I though so too, but somehow they don't look as accentuated. Maybe because it's all one color with no trim to disrupt the lines.

Yup, that deep, deep purple '75 has had many hundreds of hours of work done to get it in such perfect condition. I'll let Camino tell you more, he's familiar with the car.

I think it's hot, too. It actually looks like it could be a black cherry pearl color, not unlike the color Chrysler used on the early LH cars. You can see that where the sun hits it on the right fender, it's purple.

That GMC Suburban is a real gem, as well. Huge V6 (GMC calling card of the era), originally a Powerglide truck converted to a TH350, it's a 2-door, with 3 rows of seats. AMAZINGLY preserved survivor, there was like no rust on this thing. Factory a/c. Garage-kept throughout its life.

That GMC Suburban is a real gem, as well. Huge V6 (GMC calling card of the era), originally a Powerglide truck converted to a TH350, it's a 2-door, with 3 rows of seats. AMAZINGLY preserved survivor, there was like no rust on this thing. Factory a/c. Garage-kept throughout its life.

Yeah, I drooled over that '66 GMC Suburban too :lol: It was a very nice survivor that could be used as a daily driver or be taken off the road and be fully restored.

The weather was very un-summer like in Carlisle. While sunny, bright, and warm in the sun, there was a nice breeze blowing all day that made it very comfortable (usually you sweat to death while walking around). If you walked into a vendors tent, or when the clouds covered the sun, you really felt the breeze and the coolness it brought. I've been to Carlisle since '98 and this is the first time I think I really enjoyed the weather there at a car show.

I took a lot of pictures, and it seems Camino and I have the same taste in cars as he posted many of the ones I took too. I'll wait to see what else is posted by Camino and anyone else before I post some of mine.

<begin rant> I must say that I was disappointed by the "Chevy Ride and Drive" event. I didn't get to test drive any of the cars and it was because of the age requirement they impose. Any passengers that ride along must be 12 years old; of course my son is 3. He really, really, really wanted to go for a ride in a Camaro (that's all I heard about all day - the new Camaros - once he saw so many of them there). I understand safety is their liability, so they have to safeguard themselves. But the fact is they are on private property - not busy streets with tons of commuters - and you drive basically under 20 MPH with a representative. I myself wanted to drive teh all new 2010 Equinox (a loaded LTZ V6 model), and my dad wanted to drive the new Camaro. My son was upset byt he fact he couldn't go along on the ride and I felt it was unfair for me to go ahead. If they (GM/Chevy) would have allowed him to ride provided I installed his booster seat, I would have walked all the way across the show fields, out Gate #7 to where I was parked, and would have gotten his car seat. But they don't even allow that. So needless to say, while Chevy hyped-up this feature of the show, me and my family (loyal GM owners for many years) were not allowed to particiapte <end rant>.

One final thought about the show... you could tell the economy took its toll on this show. While the show fields had tons of participants, the car coral area (cars & trucks for sale) was very empty compared to previous years and there were tons of vendors missing that are normally there - I noticed last year a lot of missing vendors too, and this year even more didn't show up. IMO, one whole aisle (with like 7/8 vendors) could have been merged with another aisle to save people from walking aimlessly. And there are some problems with the GTO crowd, as there was a back-up of cars tryingt o park because some pre-registered and others did not and they were fighting/arguing over parking spaces :lol:

All in all, it was a very good show and I saw tons of cars that I normally don't see. I think the GM Truck community needs to wake up and start attending this show - truck participation was lacking again (I've seen more GM trucks at the All-Truck Nationals there than I've ever seen at the All-GM Nationals!). This is one show I don't miss out on and I can't wait for next year's show!

DF: As was said by Z and Ocn, that '75 Camino is as built as far as the body goes. But the car was a project of something like ten years and just finished late last year. Every detail has been given its due attention and the color is the deepest,darkest black cherry you'll ever see. The pic does not do it justice.

Roger: Go ahead and post your pics, I may not get to the rest of mine for a while. I will be kinda busy today, and many of mine are caminos anyway. :AH-HA_wink:

Now I have to go take a look at a rare GMC...

Roger: Go ahead and post your pics, I may not get to the rest of mine for a while. I will be kinda busy today, and many of mine are caminos anyway. :AH-HA_wink:

Now I have to go take a look at a rare GMC...

Okay, you've piqued my interest with that statement right there (as you always do!)... you have to spill the beans - I demand it :P

Camino, you're so mean to me! Making me wait to find out what rare GMC you've found. Let me get to work putting them on Photobucket right now.

Okay, here are some of my pictures:

DSCN0646.jpg

DSCN0649.jpg

Okay, I have more to post I promise... photobucket didn't want to load the 50 I chose all at one time, it picked these two and then froze. IU'm going back to load up more, a few at a time.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0